Military Or Family Of Military?

Bry
I really don't know how to word this. But I come from a long line of military, and while I don't have interest in joining I wanted to do something to support. So I thought to send care packages! I also live in a strongly military community.
My main question is what are some good things to send? Or what did you or your loved one enjoy being sent? Every site I've looked on were mostly like "soap, socks, eye drops, laundry detergent..." which I know is smart, but anything more fun? Or should it be more hygiene type things?
How do I get started? I'm guessing I won't know anything about the person I'm sending it to?

Tony_097
Lot of the lfs I go to a lot actually help out vetrans set up fish tanks pretty cool if you ask me

Bry
Lot of the lfs I go to a lot actually help out vetrans set up fish tanks pretty cool if you ask me
That's pretty cool, but unfortunately my area only has one small lfs and they don't do a whole lot.

Tony_097
Bring them into a hobby is what I say from fishkeeping to playing a sport is how I have seen people help veterans quite of few in an adult baseball league I play in too

Bry
Bring them into a hobby is what I say from fishkeeping to playing a sport is how I have seen people help veterans quite of few in an adult baseball league I play in too
That's true... I had more of sending packages overseas to deployed military in mind. I really don't have much time to donate.....

Tony_097
I jusy feel like if they served for me why not serve them a gift that can last a lifetine

BigManAquatics
Yes, being a veteran myself, this kind of stuff is important. Hobbies fill time that used to be completely structured and of suffering from PTSD, distractions tend to be a good thing

Stuff to read is always a good thing. Books travel well in the field.

AquaBaby
I really don't know how to word this. But I come from a long line of military, and while I don't have interest in joining I wanted to do something to support. So I thought to send care packages! I also live in a strongly military community.
My main question is what are some good things to send? Or what did you or your loved one enjoy being sent? Every site I've looked on were mostly like "soap, socks, eye drops, laundry detergent..." which I know is smart, but anything more fun? Or should it be more hygiene type things?
How do I get started? I'm guessing I won't know anything about the person I'm sending it to?

To get started... is there a VFW Post in your area? If you're not sure, Google it. They should be able to help you get going.

When you don't know who you are sending something to personally, it's really difficult. And, yes, toiletries and other necessities can be nice. However, for the most part, you usually have access to these types of items, even if they aren't the kind you'd pick out back home. Plus, it's the same list or very similar that everyone uses. Try to think of something you'd like to get if you couldn't just walk over to the store to get it, and it's not on the list. I always liked to get candy. I know that sounds kinda lame, but, every once in a while, it was nice to have something other than what the Army hands you. From family, homemade food is great, but honestly if I didn't know who made it, I wouldn't have eaten it. And, it has to be something that won't melt. Years ago, I'd have said reading material. But now, most places, there's access to the internet, TVs, etc, so that's not as high on the list, imo, as it used to be. But, these guys are just like anyone else you know. If you wrote down that list, went to, say, twenty different people, and asked them what they might want that wasn't on the list, I'm guessing you'd get one or two good ideas at least. But, always ask if what you have in mind will be okay to send BEFORE you spend the money on it!!!

I'm glad you're thinking of doing this! I have always believed that you get more out of helping someone than they do. Go you!!

BigManAquatics
To get started... is there a VFW Post in your area? If you're not sure, Google it. They should be able to help you get going.

When you don't know who you are sending something to personally, it's really difficult. And, yes, toiletries and other necessities can be nice. However, for the most part, you usually have access to these types of items, even if they aren't the kind you'd pick out back home. Plus, it's the same list or very similar that everyone uses. Try to think of something you'd like to get if you couldn't just walk over to the store to get it, and it's not on the list. I always liked to get candy. I know that sounds kinda lame, but, every once in a while, it was nice to have something other than what the Army hands you. From family, homemade food is great, but honestly if I didn't know who made it, I wouldn't have eaten it. And, it has to be something that won't melt. Years ago, I'd have said reading material. But now, most places, there's access to the internet, TVs, etc, so that's not as high on the list, imo, as it used to be. But, these guys are just like anyone else you know. If you wrote down that list, went to, say, twenty different people, and asked them what they might want that wasn't on the list, I'm guessing you'd get one or two good ideas at least. But, always ask if what you have in mind will be okay to send BEFORE you spend the money on it!!!

I'm glad you're thinking of doing this! I have always believed that you get more out of helping someone than they do. Go you!!
Loved it when my mom sent packages. Always had her homemade apple cake. People would whip out knives when that came out!

HORNET1
PayDay candy bars

USMC ret.
3/3

Bry

Yes actually! There's a VFW like half a mile from my house, I'm surprised I didn't think of it sooner. I just didn't know if they would be able to tell me what the person would want. I thought about sending dvds or books, maybe jerky? but instead of just sending stuff from a generic list, I thought I'd try to get some idea from actual people. What kind of candy doesn't melt?
Like I've said, I really don't have much time to give, but if I could send a package to someone who maybe doesn't have family to send them things, or just doesn't. I just would really love to make them smile.

Loved it when my mom sent packages. Always had her homemade apple cake. People would whip out knives when that came out!
I thought to bake cookies, but would you eat something that a stranger cooked for you?

BigManAquatics
I thought to bake cookies, but would you eat something that a stranger cooked for you?
Yeah, baked goodies from strangers these days I would say would be a no-go.

Bry
Yeah, baked goodies from strangers these days I would say would be a no-go.
My dad said he usually looked forward to my grandmother's oatmeal cookies. He was usually based where it was too hot to send chocolate chip. He also always asked for SlI'm Jims, as many flavors as she could find lol

BigManAquatics
My dad said he usually looked forward to my grandmother's oatmeal cookies. He was usually based where it was too hot to send chocolate chip. He also always asked for SlI'm Jims, as many flavors as she could find lol
Everyone likes SlI'm Jims!! My big thing in the desert was tootsie pops.

Bry
Everyone likes SlI'm Jims!! My big thing in the desert was tootsie pops.
And there's so many flavors now that that would be a lot of snacks! lol
I work retail and I have a regular that I ALWAYS know when her husband is deployed because he always wants Tic Tacs. Orange flavor is his favorite. She will go to multiple registers and get all she can.

Gypsy13

Hey. Lovely idea. Our VFW sends care packages. I write cards to send with. I mainly tell a bit about my life as an army brat. Tell them some of the crazy things I get myself into. Little notes of nothingness but I’ve gotten some great responses. Makes me cry when I hear how much they appreciate hearing about my escapades. Sometimes they’ll ask about certain news items. If it’s something I can find out about, I pass it on. Usually things that don’t get in the news. Silly things but not to them. Like how much a beer would be in our area. Stuff like that. I’m glad my stupidity makes them laugh a bit.
You’re awesome!

Bry
Hey. Lovely idea. Our VFW sends care packages. I write cards to send with. I mainly tell a bit about my life as an army brat. Tell them some of the crazy things I get myself into. Little notes of nothingness but I’ve gotten some great responses. Makes me cry when I hear how much they appreciate hearing about my escapades. Sometimes they’ll ask about certain news items. If it’s something I can find out about, I pass it on. Usually things that don’t get in the news. Silly things but not to them. Like how much a beer would be in our area. Stuff like that. I’m glad my stupidity makes them laugh a bit.
You’re awesome!
I didn't know if I should do a note or not. My thought was send a goofy pic of me and my cat... or maybe just a postcard with "Support from Florida" or something like that. That's why I thought I should post to get some ideas/feedback. My dad left the Navy before I was born, so I didn't move around or ever have family to send to. But he loves to tell stories or watch movies and say "Hey, I've been there"

AJE
My brother is at NAPS(Naval Academy Prepetory School) and he asked for food/snacks

Bry
My brother is at NAPS(Naval Academy Prepetory School) and he asked for food/snacks
What can you send other than jerky and slI'm jims? I would love to send snacks (also some practical stuff, but personally I would want food)

AJE
We sent him some microwave popcorn and this Sunday we are sending him microwaveable meals

Bry
We sent him some microwave popcorn and this Sunday we are sending him microwaveable meals
As long as it isn't somewhere too hot lol. Have it be all popped by the time it gets there, though it would be a funny surprise

AJE
Haha, lol. It’s in RI

Gypsy13
What can you send other than jerky and slI'm jims? I would love to send snacks (also some practical stuff, but personally I would want food)

A few of the troops have asked for Cheetos. Cracks me up. Every one of them love everything they get but the fact you care enough is the main thing. That’s what they need the most. To know we do care. We do think of them. We truly want them home safe. Whatever you send, will be met with love and appreciation. And any acknowledgement of your wishing them well will be met with never ending joy. My dad and brother served. Dad Korea and Vietnam. USA Ret. Brother Vietnam USN. Send love.

goldface
I just know I read a lot of books that were sent to us. They were no specific genres, but I always appreciated fantasy and science-fiction. I always asked for snacks like beef jerkey, trail mixes, ramen noodles, candies, etc. things I normally wouldn’t actually eat, but regretted missing out on, lol.

max h
Snacks definitely, reading materials and for the guys on land some sporting goods, playing cards, or some board games. I know when I was on the Enterprise World Cruise in '89 my mom would send cookies. Before Christmas she made her Christmas cake which is similar to the American fruit cake, but much better. I swear she dumped at bottle of rum on it before sending it out. I think about half the chiefs in may department was hooked on that cake.

AJE
We just sent my brother cookies, homemade of course

Bry
I'm so excited to start this. I'm already picking up little things and I haven't even talked to the VFW yet. Is there a specific size box?
Can I send little drink mixes? Like the flavor powders for water?
Just to clarify for people, I have never served so I don't know what all is given to you on base. Which is why I created this thread to get better knowledge of what to send, that may not be available to them right now. I imagine it to be very healthy, whole wheat, no sugar.... that kind of thing. But I don't know if that's true

AquaBaby
I'm so excited to start this. I'm already picking up little things and I haven't even talked to the VFW yet. Is there a specific size box?
Can I send little drink mixes? Like the flavor powders for water?
Just to clarify for people, I have never served so I don't know what all is given to you on base. Which is why I created this thread to get better knowledge of what to send, that may not be available to them right now. I imagine it to be very healthy, whole wheat, no sugar.... that kind of thing. But I don't know if that's true

Well, it's been a year or two (*cough* or twenty *cough*) since I was in... I'm sure things have changed. I would write down all my ideas and then talk to the VFW. They should have current information on what you can or can't send, size of package, etc; and if they don't, they have the contacts to find out for you.

BTW, I think the flavor packets for water are a pretty cool idea.

yukondog
Grits

Bry
Well, it's been a year or two (*cough* or twenty *cough*) since I was in... I'm sure things have changed. I would write down all my ideas and then talk to the VFW. They should have current information on what you can or can't send, size of package, etc; and if they don't, they have the contacts to find out for you.

BTW, I think the flavor packets for water are a pretty cool idea.
I have a list in the memo app on my phone. Everything people have recommended to me and things I've come up with. I also plan on maybe talking to anybody who is around the VFW when I go. Someone I talked to today was very adamant I send baby wipes and toothpaste.

Bry
I thought of grits and oatmeal today. Maybe those individual/personal cereal boxes or bowls.

Bry
lol He overheard me talking to a coworker about it and he just walked up, put his stuff down, looked at me with a very serious face and said "Baby wipes. They will greatly appreciate it."

richiep
It's nice to see you care especially for someone you don't even know, and who better than your armed force's I admire you for that

sloughdog
When I was in, anything home baked. Didn’t matter what it was lol.

Mentioned above, baby wipes were also much appreciated.

And can’t forget to spray a little perfume on the card to remind you of....oh wait that’s not appropriate from a random care package

RainBetta
My dad was a Marine for 24 years. I can't really say before that because his parents are from Sweden.

Bry
Sigh. Now I'm just waiting. I have about six bags of stuff to send. Food, hygiene products,etc. I talked to the VFW on Monday morning, asking how to send. Like is there a weight limit? Is it a certain size box? And was told, I'll get back with you then took my number.
I would have thought they'd have this information ready. She said they were partnered (or something) with the local Air Force base and she would ask them. It's going on two days and I haven't heard anything. I'm so excited and have so much.... I hate waiting.

AquaBaby
Sigh. Now I'm just waiting. I have about six bags of stuff to send. Food, hygiene products,etc. I talked to the VFW on Monday morning, asking how to send. Like is there a weight limit? Is it a certain size box? And was told, I'll get back with you then took my number.
I would have thought they'd have this information ready. She said they were partnered (or something) with the local Air Force base and she would ask them. It's going on two days and I haven't heard anything. I'm so excited and have so much.... I hate waiting.

Get back in touch with the VFW. I'd say Friday. Don't call non-stop, but there's nothing wrong with following up.

AquaBaby
Bry , any response from the VFW Post?

Bry
Bry , any response from the VFW Post?
Still no. I meant to call Thursday, but it got hectic. Then I was going to call today/Friday but I overslept and was late to work. Though I am annoyed they still haven't gotten back to me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamesCain80
Replies
Views
Cowardlyslimeball
Replies
Views
tfreema
Replies
Views