Mild tank mates for a betta?

CindiL

I upgraded my betta to a 20g long and would like to add a few more fish. I am thinking some platy’s or rummy nose minnows. Or is there a tetra species that is mild? I’ve got quite a few plants so far but will be adding more for the substrate.

Excuse the cloudiness, the sand dust hasn’t settled from being filled up yesterday. I moved his filter sponge over from the small internal filter I had before. I am waiting for my light fixture to be delivered also (Nicrew RGB+W)

Attachments

• C8DA87EA-D3F5-42A0-90EB-CA0760CD7B3E.jpeg
    C8DA87EA-D3F5-42A0-90EB-CA0760CD7B3E.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 16

ForBettaorForWorse

BigManAquatics

Penguin tetras did pretty well with one betta. The second betta they were with was an agressive butt that killed everything. So the betta plays a BIG factor in that one as well.

Spudsssy

Galaxy rasbora would be my suggestion. In a 20gal you want the largest (school) smallest (size) fish. 12-15 is good number.

pushing 3cm schooling fish limit to 6-10

Noroomforshoe

I have never heard of rummynose minnows, do you mean rummynose tetra? I here it is important to be sure that they are tank bred, I have never had them but they look cool! Harlequin rasbora, x-ray tetra, or black neon tetra could also work.

CindiL

I have never heard of rummynose minnows, do you mean rummynose tetra? I here it is important to be sure that they are tank bred, I have never had them but they look cool! Harlequin rasbora, x-ray tetra, or black neon tetra could also work.
Yes, ha ha tetras. I had them in my 33g and I love them but typical box stores don’t have them. Yes I was thinking of Harlequin rasboras also. I have it narrowed down to Cardinal tetras, harlequin rasbora, flame tetra or flag tetra. I‘ll add black neon’s to my list as I didn’t realize they like warmer temps compared to their neon cousins who like it too cool for my betta.
Galaxy rasbora would be my suggestion. In a 20gal you want the largest (school) smallest (size) fish. 12-15 is good number.

pushing 3cm schooling fish limit to 6-10
I had to look them up. Did you know they have changed their name to Celestial Pearl Danio?
Penguin tetras did pretty well with one betta. The second betta they were with was an agressive butt that killed everything. So the betta plays a BIG factor in that one as well.
Agree with you there. I had one betta who lived well even with a tank full of cherry shrimp. Another one killed every one I had when I introduced new ones to his tank. I read penguin tetras can be fin nippers with tank mates that have long flowing fins.

CindiL

I picked up 8 black neons today. They were in with a few female bettas and seemed to be doing well. Any suggestion on how many I should have in total In this size tank?

Noroomforshoe

It's hard to say without seeing the tank. But if you had nothing but the black neons and the betta, you should be fine with up to 15 black neons. 8 is fine too. of corse it all depends on the personality of the betta. Good Luck!

CindiL

It's hard to say without seeing the tank.
Here is a picture I took this morning. Its a 20g long. Just waiting on some foreground plants to arrive tomorrow and a couple bacopa. I’ll probable add a few ghost shrimp for cleanup duty.

Attachments

• ABC891AA-74A5-477F-A26F-840AC7D62D9A.jpeg
    ABC891AA-74A5-477F-A26F-840AC7D62D9A.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 9

Noroomforshoe

Cool set up!, I would stick to 12-15 black neons with the betta and I know nothing about shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Ginger2078
Replies