Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi In Aquascape With Hard Water?

Nigel95

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank is 80x40x40 cm plan is to keep a pair with my amanos, red cherries and 18 green neon tetra. I know this will ruin the scale a bit in the scape but for final shots I will temporary move them. I really love this fish!

GH 12 (in tank)
TDS 209 (in tank)
KH 9 and PH 7,5 out of tap.
Temperature around 25 celcius.
Adding co2 around 30 ppm?
Strong lights but overhanging spiderwood / cave with stones.

Possible or not wise?

Kasshan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your green neons will die for sure in water like that, they are even more sensitive than regular neons and need soft acidic water to flourish. rams also flourish in soft acidic too. The temp is also too cold, raise it to 28Celsius. The rams will eat your shrimp, but if you have lots of hiding spots and a sustainable population they may persist for a few months before they disappear.

OP
Nigel95

Nigel95

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kasshan said:
Your green neons will die for sure in water like that, they are even more sensitive than regular neons and need soft acidic water to flourish. rams also flourish in soft acidic too. The temp is also too cold, raise it to 28Celsius. The rams will eat your shrimp, but if you have lots of hiding spots and a sustainable population they may persist for a few months before they disappear.
My green neons are 1 year old and only lost 2 out of 20 in this tank? Green neons are pretty strong tbh… I don’t have the Rams yet. But considering to buy them not sure if it is wise to do. Why 28 celcius lol?

Kasshan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm surprised, since green neons are wild caught. Mine are almost 5yrs old, they just started dying off. Rams are best at that temp, if you keep them at lower temps they won't last for more than a few months, my oldest ram is two yrs and has successfully spawned dozens of times

New Threads