Mike's Aquariums - Page 2

bolivianbaby

Wow! Mike-your 120 gallon is absolutely stunning!

Mike

Thanks BB!

ryanr

Did anyone else notice the bare bottom tank?

A beautiful reef is possible without live sand, or any substrate...... just sayin'
(don't believe everything you read about live sand :whistling

Mike, there's hope for me yet I feel much better knowing this is two years old.

Ethan

all of these awesome Saltwater tanks out and about.. this one is FANTASTIC my ultimate goal use to be having enough skill and knowledge to keep angelfish.. ever since I first bought one and it died that was years ago.. now I have 2 angelfish thriving. but my goal has changed to having a thriving Saltwater tank man this goal is gonna be fun on the old wallet . but back on topic the 120 is seriously breath taking I went to the boston aquarium a week ago and this tank could hold its own against some of there Saltwater displays no joke

Aquarist

Beautiful tank and fish Mike! More! More!

Ken

Quinn_Lamb98

Definitely doable, harder to keep a smaller tank like a 30 gallon but definitely possible.
doable- yes. achievable- not right now, lol.

Mike

ryanr said:
Did anyone else notice the bare bottom tank?

A beautiful reef is possible without live sand, or any substrate...... just sayin'
(don't believe everything you read about live sand :whistling

Mike, there's hope for me yet I feel much better knowing this is two years old.
Yep, bare bottom. Well, it was bare bottom. It's about 50% covered in green star polyps and zoanthids. I have two vortech mp40's on this tank pulsing full blast every 2 seconds, creating a surge/wave effect and I didn't want a deep sand bed, so I opted for a different type of "live" substrate lol. Hopefully the entire bottom will be gsp and zoanthids in the coming months. Some before/after pics of the green star polyps:

Before

Couple months later

OnTheFry said:
all of these awesome Saltwater tanks out and about.. this one is FANTASTIC my ultimate goal use to be having enough skill and knowledge to keep angelfish.. ever since I first bought one and it died that was years ago.. now I have 2 angelfish thriving. but my goal has changed to having a thriving Saltwater tank man this goal is gonna be fun on the old wallet . but back on topic the 120 is seriously breath taking I went to the boston aquarium a week ago and this tank could hold its own against some of there Saltwater displays no joke
aquarist48 said:
Beautiful tank and fish Mike! More! More!
Ken
Thanks guys!

More before/after pics:

Full Tank After setup:

Now (minus the frag rack):

Red Montipora Capricornis right after purchasing the frag:

Now - about the size of a dinner plate:

Quinn_Lamb98

not helping me!!! lol.

ryanr

Nice Mike.
I love the way the GSP (?) looks like a tropical island against that bare bottom.

AlanGreene

Man oh man they are some pretty pictures!!! salt water seems so much more intensive than fresh but as a result you really do get to bring an ecosystem into your house!

Mike

Clownfish playing

Here is a video of the clownfish in their anemones. They do this ALL day everyday lol. They are not yet mated and do bicker for dominance as you can see in the video.

ryanr

Cute Mike You could just sit there and watch them all day!

Mike

Took some top-down pics today:

Mike

Akari_32

The name of this thread screws with me every time. It's the same name as my LFS LOL

Looks great Mike!

Lucy

Awesome pictures Mike!

ryanr

Awesome photos Mike!

Looks like some great new growth

Corine

Awesome photos.

unfster

wow.

Mike

Thanks!

Atomsk

Simply gorgeous.

Aquarist

Good morning,

Beautiful critters Mike!

Ken

Mike

Butterfly

Awesome pics Mike! I didn't know there was such a thing as a Coral viewer until I read the link. Seems like it would be a handy piece of equipment.
carol

Mike

Reef Tank Pictures

More pictures from today. All corals are doing really good, showing great growth rates with nice white edges and tips. My anemones are out of control! Need to get them into the frag rack asap because they sting anything they touch. Not gonna enjoy that task because they are a pain to remove.

Butterfly

They just keep getting better!

cichlidmac

Dude, your so lucky! Great work, I hope to have something like that some day.

anahiii24

Wow totally breathtaking pictures. GORGEOUS!

Dizzy

wow beautiful and colorful!

Mike

Thanks guys!

zombiecat03

Amazing pics. My sweetie wants saltwater, but I told him he has to wait till I figure out fresh first.

AquaLady

Nothing less than amazing. How long did that take? I seen a pic back from 08 and it looked nothing like this!

Mike

Thanks.

In 2008 I had a 55 gallon reef tank. This tank is a 120 gallon reef tank and has been up for around 2 years.

More pics from today:

Color settings on new camera are off a bit - blue tang looking purplish

Lucy

Wow Mike! How lovely.

Junne

JUST beautiful!!! Love the vivid colors!

Malcolm

Superb, A true credit to your dedication and skill.

Bluebone

I don't know how long it will be before I start my Saltwater tank but this makes me even more anxious to get it going.

Mike

From today May 18,2013 (so I can track growth rates):

Mike

ryanr

Malcolm

NOT FAIR SIR...................................just not fair.

Congratulations on an excellent reef you should be duly proud of yourself.

Give the man a beer.

Mike

Thanks

cichlidmac

Mike that tank looks horrible, tell you what, let's go ahead and set it up at my place and you can start a new and better one. What do you say?

Aquarist

Beautiful!

Ken

LyndaB

Beautiful photos! Well done!

Mike

Got the GoPro Hero 3 Camera for Father's Day and just had to try it out underwater.

Sorry for the shaky camera, it was a first attempt. I'll try to get closer to the corals in next video. Change the resolution to 720p or higher, it looks better.

Ksuvet

That tank is absolutely beautiful. I am very jealous.

Mike

Thanks Sllabon!

Slug

The colors you have look simply outstanding, and all of your SPS looks amazingly healthy. I dream of a tank like that. Whats your secret Mike! Do you dose anything?

How do you like your Hero3? Looks like it does a fine job.

Mike

Slug said:
The colors you have look simply outstanding, and all of your SPS looks amazingly healthy. I dream of a tank like that. Whats your secret Mike! Do you dose anything?

How do you like your Hero3? Looks like it does a fine job.
Thanks! I don't dose anything. In the sump I'm running a calcium reactor, biopellets, over powered protein skimmer that I skI'm very wet, and do 5% to 10% partial water changes every couple of weeks to replace trace elements not replaced via the calcium reactor.

I was surprised by the Hero 3 camera, mainly because I didn't realize it could be used underwater. It was fun making the video above.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom