Migrating overstock to new tank - how many tetras for 38L/10g tank, and a flying fox?

LalaLand

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, based on some great previous advice we are re-homing some friends from our overstocked 20g tank to a new 10g tank, hoping the fish calm down a bit. The new one is still cycling. The 20g tank has 2 platys, 5 mollies (of which 1 male), 1 guppy, 1 flying fox and 3 serpae tetra, 6 neons. Mrs platy also had 2 lots of babies (very cute, 2 different colour batches) and we've saved 14 which are in their breeder tank and will be re-homed to our fish store. (Dear daughter would like to keep one)
We'd like to move the 3 serpae and 6 neons to the 10g tank when cycled. Looking to keep the ph and hardness down a bit relative to the other tank, I've been told (softer water for the tetras). The 20g tank is very healthy, zero ammonia and nitrite, nitrate goes up after about 10 days and we do a water change and all good.
My question is: can we add one flying fox to the new aquarium with the serpae and neons? Too crowded? Our flying fox is such a busy bee and so cool.
Are we OK in terms of stock in the 20g tank with 3 platys (keeping one female baby) , 5 mollies, 1 guppy, 1 flying fox?
Thanks, everyone!

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should be upgrading not downgrading. Sarpae tetras need to be in a school of 6 or they get super nippy. Both species of tetras like a lot of room to swim.
Your flying fox (If that's what it is) will grow 4"-7" it will also need a bigger tank.
Your 20 gallon is also a bit overstocked. Mollies are very active and can be more sensitive to bad water conditions than other livebearers.
Do what you want with this information. Whether you get a bigger tank or rehome a few fish is up to you.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi :)

I wouldn't add the Fox, simply it will grow far too big and like you've mentioned is too active. While the 10 isn't idea it should be fine for your Tetra but I would suggest looking to upgrade in the future ;)
The 20 sounds ok to me but I don't keep Mollies.

To add, the Fox will eventually need a bigger home than a 20, they're impressive when fully grown.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LalaLand said:
Hi, based on some great previous advice we are re-homing some friends from our overstocked 20g tank to a new 10g tank, hoping the fish calm down a bit. The new one is still cycling. The 20g tank has 2 platys, 5 mollies (of which 1 male), 1 guppy, 1 flying fox and 3 serpae tetra, 6 neons. Mrs platy also had 2 lots of babies (very cute, 2 different colour batches) and we've saved 14 which are in their breeder tank and will be re-homed to our fish store. (Dear daughter would like to keep one)
We'd like to move the 3 serpae and 6 neons to the 10g tank when cycled. Looking to keep the ph and hardness down a bit relative to the other tank, I've been told (softer water for the tetras). The 20g tank is very healthy, zero ammonia and nitrite, nitrate goes up after about 10 days and we do a water change and all good.
My question is: can we add one flying fox to the new aquarium with the serpae and neons? Too crowded? Our flying fox is such a busy bee and so cool.
Are we OK in terms of stock in the 20g tank with 3 platys (keeping one female baby) , 5 mollies, 1 guppy, 1 flying fox?
Thanks, everyone!
That's all less than ideal.

This are actually enough fish for 3 tanks. The livebearers can actually populate two 20 gallon tanks alone, one for the Mollies, one for the Platies, you can put the Guppy in one of them. Here guidelines usually say Mollies are better suited for a 30 gallon and more. The Serpae tetras should actually be kept in a 30 too in groups of 6-8 or more. Flying foxes are usually said to be kept in tanks of at least 4 feet length. The neons and the Guppy are the only fish I'd keep in a 20.

I'd rehome most fish and start over.

VSA

Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t move the 3 serpae tetra to a smaller tank. Unless you have the nicest serpae ever, the lack of space and lack of school will most probably mean aggression will start.

Unless you can keep them in the current tank and add around 7-9 more, it’s probably best to rehome them as they are semi aggressive and will most probably cause you problems.

New Threads