Might have fin rot in new tank, help please! Important

1. mdever12 Initiate Member

Hey Fishlore Community,

I need some help with my "new" African Cichlid, 60g tank. I cycled my tank for about 4 weeks until I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, and a Ph of 7.8. This past Saturday, I purchased 2 Electic Yellow, 2 Rustys, 1 Z Rock, 1 Phenochilus, and 1 Red Tail Shark.

This morning I noticed that my Z Rock kept chasing after my Phenochilus. He would chase him all over the tank. At closer look, it looks like there was a little bite mark in one of his fin's. After i noticed the Phenochilus' bite mark, i saw that one of the Electic Yellow's fins was frayed, as well as one of the Z Rocks, and also one of the fins on a Rusty. However, the lower fins on both of the Electric Yellow look whitish, and there is a white spot on one of the Electric Yellow's tail fin, as well as the tail fin on one of the Rustys.

I called the store I bought them from, and was told that rearranging the tank may help with aggression, and adding more fish may also help. So i rearranged my tank, and I purchased 1 Yellow Top Mbamba, 1 Livingstoni, and 2 Manda Blue Dolphins. Now doing some more research, I'm starting to think that the fish have fin rot. I do not think its ICK because the whole fish is not covered with the white spots. If someone could chime in and point me in the right direction that would be a huge help. I can also take pictures of the fish if that will help.

Thanks in advance Fishlore Community,
    Matt

2. Boeing250 Well Known Member Member

If you would,could you post a pic?

3. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Have you checked your water parameters since you added the fish? If you were really cycled, you should have had some nitrates.

Also, if you have plenty of hiding places/caves for the cichlids, that will help avoid aggression.