Might be overstocked

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by debbie66151, Jul 11, 2015.

1. debbie66151

debbie66151 Valued Member Member

My parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 10, chlorine 0, pH is 7. I have a 30 gallon tank. In it I have 5 mollies, 4 guppys, 9 neon tetras, 4 Cory cats and a common pleco( I know the pleco will out grow the tank) rehoming it as soon as my friends tank finishes cycling. Does this seem to much for a 30 gallon tank? My fish seem very happy and I'm not seeing any aggression from them. I'm a beginner in keeping fish.

Sent from my RCT6691W3 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Mollies and guppies can interbreed, and even on their own they will breed unless they are all males.
    I would rehome all of the mollies and get something else, and cories should be in groups of 6+ of their own species.

3. OP
    OP
    debbie66151

I read mollies and guppys were good together, that's why I picked them for my community tank. I must of been misdirected. I really like my mollies. What do you recommend as a replacement for my mollies?

And my corys I plan on getting more corys but I'm waiting to rehome the pleco first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Mollies and guppies can be good together but they can cross-breed. Instead of the mollies, how about a school of tetras?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

You can get platies instead of the mollies, they look similar and stay smaller.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Dom90

Oh noticed you already have a school of tetras, how about some kilifish?

7. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I'll admit I've never really been into live bearers. But isn't it platies and mollies that can breed? Not guppies and mollies?

8. Dom90

Well I don't know, I just know it's two of those groups that can cross-breed lol.

9. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

IMO, the mollies and pleco need to go. Their bioload isn't doing you any favors.

10. Dom90

See, Gena has an actual reason not to want the mollies, huge bioload :D

11. OP
    OP
    debbie66151

So I'm gonna assume that I don't have too many fish I just have the wrong ones!

12. Dom90

Yes correct! You might want to consider a centerpiece fish. Possible options are honey gourami, dwarf gourami, Kribensis, German blue ram, Bolivian ram. I know I'm missing something...

13. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Platies and swordtails can breed, mollies and guppies can breed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. Dom90

Just keep one group of livebearers and you'll be ok I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice