Might be Ich...?

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I might be feeling unwarranted optimism, but my 1 tiny fish is still alive, and seems well. He will not eat anything but live. He's hunting down the snails, and still munching on micro-organisms through the day. I've got a little brine shrimp hatchery arriving tomorrow, so if he'll start eating those, I think maybe he might survive whatever took the other three. Here he is, stalking his current nemesis... (He has several appropriately sized snails, but IMG_20191107_200547434.jpg he stalks this one relentlessly.)

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As long as he’s about you’ll have to keep the tank going and maybe get a few more when everything is clear ;) haha

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kevzebrapleco said:
As long as he’s about you’ll have to keep the tank going and maybe get a few more when everything is clear ;) haha
I'm going to move him to a bigger tank in a couple days. If he's still well a week after that, I'll look into getting another one or two puffers, and maybe a few bottom feeders to eat their leftovers. He's definitely lonely and sad without his friends, but of course I have to be certain he's not sick before I do.

richie.p said:
You could try a big of frozen bloodworm again
I did. I got a different brand, and tried frozen brine shrimp, but he wouldn't touch them. He's a good hunter, and he'll survive. I'm going to look into getting ... I think it's white worms, that I heard were good for them, and a little bigger than some of the other types. I'm very hesitant to try blackworms again.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wonder about them black worms they are the only thing that sticks out and you fed them the night before, I think they were the problem,

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
richie.p said:
I wonder about them black worms they are the only thing that sticks out and you fed them the night before, I think they were the problem,
I keep thinking that as well, but this little guy ate them too, and he was the tiniest one of all of them, and seemed the weakest. He ate so many (they all did) I thought he'd burst. I just can't believe he's the one that lived. I just wish I knew for sure what happened. I never will, and it's going to drive me nuts for years.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I first seen them after they had eaten the worm my first thoughts were had you over fed them, then the following morning disaster, I'm sure you wont have any more problems if you add some pals,

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was a solid 24 hours after they ate the worms that the first sign of problems appeared. They were all out exploring and playing, and begging. I hadn't given them any more when the first one died. By the time I gathered a cup and a net, the 2nd was gone. The third didn't die until the following day. The one still alive seemed sick and slow for a couple days, but now seems to be fully recovered.. just mopey and lonely. I don't know whether they were overstuffed or not, but that doesn't make sense as a cause when they were fine the next day.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its typical of some type of food poisoning but the little one didn't eat a lot although he was ill

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, final update to the sad saga of my tiny puffers: The one still lives. Unrelated to the Ich, but he has now completed a 7 day treatment with PraziPro, and boy did it work. He's grown like crazy in just a few days. He still won't eat anything but live food. I'm ok with that, and I'm working on mastering hatching brine shrimp for him. He's finally looking healthy and a little rounded, like a Pea Puffer should. He's gained all the weight just on his own hunting and foraging skills. (I drop snails randomly throughout his tank.)

Anyway, to those who provided the encouragement and support, I sincerely thank you. Happy Thanksgiving! IMG_20191110_210249206.jpg IMG_20191115_220703503.jpg IMG_20191110_210246336.jpg IMG_20191115_220700506.jpg

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok that's great dont forget to get him company he'll appreciate it, I think your all clear now

Jenay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jenay said:
I've tried taking pics, but none of the spots show in any of them. I've had my Pea Puffers for 2 weeks. Since they went into their own tank, no other livestock, I didn't go through any quarantine process. They had used/fully cycled filter media, plants, and a couple little glass jars I use as plant pots from the aquarium of a healthy, (still healthy) betta.

For the most part, things have gone smoothly. Last week, I saw 2 white dots on 1 puffer. The next day, they were gone. No sign on any of them. Today, same puffer has several white spots, making me believe it must be Ich, but here's the weird part: When he's happy/excited/hunting a snail or tankmate and fully colors up, the spots disappear entirely.

There is no sign of illness in his behavior or appetite. He's a ferocious tiny hunter, and eats micro organisms all day long while he hunts for snails, and always scores a few bloodworms, no matter what the others do.

If I do a full course of Ich treatment, and it's not Ich, will that hurt any of my Puffers?

I've only seen Ich once, in person, and that was 20 years ago. I'm going to keep trying to get a picture that shows the spots, and I'm going shopping for fish meds tomorrow regardless, but I'd really like to hear from someone who's dealt with it more recently than I have.
FINAL final update. My last little fighter died today. I don't know why. He was fine. Swimming around, hunting, ate a snail around 2am. Then he didn't come out today when I turned his lights on. I watched and waited, but he didn't show himself... After an extensive search, I finally found him, upside down, under a plant.

I'm sitting here wondering what I'm going to do with 70-100 snack snails. I've kept up their feeding, making sure they're happily reproducing, because I thought in another month, I'd get a few more puffers, and give my little guy some friends... and I wanted to be ready to feed 4-5 tiny puffers. I think it'll be a while before I think about puffers again.

Kevzebrapleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jenay said:
FINAL final update. My last little fighter died today. I don't know why. He was fine. Swimming around, hunting, ate a snail around 2am. Then he didn't come out today when I turned his lights on. I watched and waited, but he didn't show himself... After an extensive search, I finally found him, upside down, under a plant.

I'm sitting here wondering what I'm going to do with 70-100 snack snails. I've kept up their feeding, making sure they're happily reproducing, because I thought in another month, I'd get a few more puffers, and give my little guy some friends... and I wanted to be ready to feed 4-5 tiny puffers. I think it'll be a while before I think about puffers again.
Learn from whatever mistakes you probably made or didn’t make and go get your 4 new puffers and put those snack snails to good use! You might have no problems this time round and really enjoy it this time round ;)

Let me know how it goes :)

NathJK

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Did you test the water after the deaths to see if there was any issue there that caused it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom