might be common sense Question

1. Lexar169 Member Member

I've had a pleco since i started my tank and i rarely see him come out of hiding! are they just skiddish when there small? how will i know he's eating properly?

2. Kerber23 Member Member

:) Plecos are nocternal, they rarely come out in the day... and if your tank is clean hes eating fine.. i play it safe and add more food when i feed so some of it gets to the sand for his late dinner... as he grows he might hang around the heater. i have a 9" female and she does a very good job cleaning my tank and likes to sleep (when the rams arent watching) in their cave and beside my heater

3. callichma Well Known Member Member

When I want to see my bn pleco I put a slice of zucchini squash in the front of the tank. That brings her right out.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lexar. It's been my experience as they grow larger you will see them more. I do as Calli does and feed mine zucchini and he loves it. He's gotten to expect it now every morning. Give yours some time.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

5. Aldric Member Member

u can also try some mellon or mango to tempt him

6. click Well Known Member Member

My pleco is shy too. But I only had him for a week so he's still in a new home. He does come out at dinner to try the food out, so far he didn't eat anything I put in the tank, but I bet he feasts on the algae, I see less of it every day:giggle:

7. Lexar169 Member Member

ill try something to tempt him, as far as wafers go, i should drop one in at night every so often?

8. misty spills Member Member

i have a bristlenose pleco i find that s/he is very shy i always feed him/her a pellet sinking fish drop around the same time every night(cleans durning the day) and im sure that now s/he smells it as soon as it hits the warter

i have always had pelcos in my tanks and for some reason the one i mentioned above gets very aggresive durning feeding time and always charges at other tankmates when they have finished there food and are trying to eat her/his's(this is very different to any other ones ive ever had,i thought it might have been because it was young but if yours is skittish when young???i really dont know)

they are cool to watch when you have more than one to a tank. food is always the way to activity within the fish community

9. Lexar169 Member Member

well i don't think he's eating much algae off the sides. However b4 work yesterday i dropped a wafer and seen him turn to look at from within the plane cave.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

is this your clown plec? if so, they arent good algae eaters :( once you get your driftwood, i bet you see him all the time ..if its another plec, the wafers or a long slice of zucchini will coax him out

11. Lexar169 Member Member

I cant remember :;dk what he is...spiny, looks like he could hurt you...but cant :;fru