Middle of fishless cycle question

1. m

maestro159 New Member Member

History and parameters:
    29gal
    Temperature: 75 deg
    Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrite: 5+ ppm
    Nitrate: Haven't checked in a while but at last test it was relatively low ~ 20ppm
    pH: 8.2

About 6 weeks ago after an exhaustive search for a suitable bottle of ammonia and not finding anything I started my fishless cycle with fish food. Two weeks ago I finally got a nitrite reading and have been off the charts since while ammonia has been dropping.

My concern now is that without a way to actively control the ammonia level it will get too low and the bb colony will suffer. So should I do anything differently? Ultimately I am planning on keeping tetras and cory cats. Now that I have some bb could I get a few fish and gradually get more while keeping an eye on my parameters? Or should I stay the course and wait for ammonia and nitrite levels to drop to zero?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Looks like you're doing great! Keep adding a pinch of food to keep the bacteria fed.
    No fish yet, be patient, your ammonia and especially your nitrite level is extremely toxic.

Hang in there! Good luck. :)

3. OP
    OP
    m

maestro159 New Member Member

Alright thank you.
    When the cycle does finish how many fish should I add at a time? I am planning on adding them one school at a time 6-8 fish with a week or two in between. Will this be ok or should i add them 1-2 fish at a time?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I know people recommend 3-4, however if you're dealing with a schooling fish, it might be best to go ahead and add the whole school to try and cut down on 'outcasts'
    ;) That's just my opinion.
    Keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks.
    Any sign of ammonia do water changes until the cycle gets back on track.

If they aren't schooling fish, 3 or 4 should be fine depending on the fish and it's bio-load.

Use the 2 weeks between adding fish as a quarantine time for new fish :)

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I might try to put in half the school wait a 10 to 14 days then add the second half.