Middle of fishless cycle question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by maestro159, Mar 28, 2010.

1. m

maestro159 New Member Member

History and parameters:
    29gal
    Temperature: 75 deg
    Ammonia: .25ppm
    Nitrite: 5+ ppm
    Nitrate: Haven't checked in a while but at last test it was relatively low ~ 20ppm
    pH: 8.2

About 6 weeks ago after an exhaustive search for a suitable bottle of ammonia and not finding anything I started my fishless cycle with fish food. Two weeks ago I finally got a nitrite reading and have been off the charts since while ammonia has been dropping.

My concern now is that without a way to actively control the ammonia level it will get too low and the bb colony will suffer. So should I do anything differently? Ultimately I am planning on keeping tetras and cory cats. Now that I have some bb could I get a few fish and gradually get more while keeping an eye on my parameters? Or should I stay the course and wait for ammonia and nitrite levels to drop to zero?

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Looks like you're doing great! Keep adding a pinch of food to keep the bacteria fed.
    No fish yet, be patient, your ammonia and especially your nitrite level is extremely toxic.

Hang in there! Good luck. :)

3. OP
    OP
    m

maestro159 New Member Member

Alright thank you.
    When the cycle does finish how many fish should I add at a time? I am planning on adding them one school at a time 6-8 fish with a week or two in between. Will this be ok or should i add them 1-2 fish at a time?

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I know people recommend 3-4, however if you're dealing with a schooling fish, it might be best to go ahead and add the whole school to try and cut down on 'outcasts'
    ;) That's just my opinion.
    Keep an eye on the parameters for a couple of weeks.
    Any sign of ammonia do water changes until the cycle gets back on track.

If they aren't schooling fish, 3 or 4 should be fine depending on the fish and it's bio-load.

Use the 2 weeks between adding fish as a quarantine time for new fish :)

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I might try to put in half the school wait a 10 to 14 days then add the second half.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice