Microworms rock

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a shout out for microworms, one of the simplest and cheapest live foods to cultivate. It takes literally less than 5 minutes to set up a culture and with 3 or 4 containers they will be producing more worms than I know what to do with.

These things are great for fry, as well as some of the smaller tropicals. My guppies go psycho when i drop these things in.

Anyway, microworms, props <3.

Attachments

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i bought a culture from ebay but a LFS may have it also, here's a link that can explain it better than i can.

it's good for ppl like me who are too lazy to bubble up a batch of baby brine shrimp every day :]

take care!

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I could be imagining things, but have you mentioned these before as being on the gross side? A comparison to sea monkeys, I seem to recall?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
haha yeah they are not for the squeamish, but I have recommended them in the past. I can deal with these, probably not maggots though. The smell of oats and yeast can be a bit off-putting but there's much more foul things I can think of off the top of my head.

Sea monkeys are baby brine shrimp, of which the fun in culturing them wears off in no time flat.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it is icky LOL
just make sure you are giving other foods as well..I know in bettas, microworms seem to be a source of not allowing their ventrical fins to develop properly if microworms are all they are fed...Martinismommy has more info on that

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I actually had to go look up what sea monkeys are. The grossness factor is definitely there. How well can you contain the smell? Does it stink up the whole room?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As part of a varied diet microworms are great. They will foul the water failrly quickly so attention has to be paid to water quality when feeding them.
Carol

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will foul the water failrly quickly so attention has to be paid to water quality when feeding them.
I've had just the opposite experience with them. I can feed the fry heavy in the morning, the worms live for hours on the tank bottom feeding the fry most of the day.

I do however do daily water changes on the fry tanks... might be why I never had a problem?

At any rate, I love em... along with Walter worms & Banana worms! ;D

Dennis

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i've never had an issue with them going bad in the water but then again I have a bare bottom fry tank so the vacuum picks up any waste/leftovers.

I also feed hikari first bites or tetra flakes, going to finish off my container of BBS and then go for decapped.

The smell really isn't that bad, the container only has small holes in it, so it doesn't really stink up anything. I can't smell it unless i put my nose up to it. Even then it just smells like old yeast and old oatmeal. I keep them under the kitchen sink lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom