Microworm Query

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Andy S, May 16, 2018.

1. Andy SValued MemberMember

I have recently started a microworm culture, something I have never done before.
    I have a glass jar with 2cm of oatmeal mixed with boiled water and is a sloppy consistency with a sprinkling of yeast in top, as per the instructions which came with the starter culture.
    It's at 'room temperature' which is around 22deg.

I stirred the mixture daily, as instructed and was assured that by day six the worms would be crawling up the sides of the jar. I waited and waited but nothing.
    Yesterday was day 10 and still no worms on the side of the jar, I assumed the started culture was not viable and was going to throw it out BUT just before I did so I had a really good look and realised that the surface of the mix was absolutely crawling with worms; looking across it into the light I could see that the surface was 'rippling' there being so many worms.
    Problem is that none of them have taken to climbing the sides of the jar so I am unable to harvest them.

Is this normal? Am I just being too impatient? Will they eventually start to climb? Do I have the very first batch of microworms suffering from acrophobia?

2. ktorg

ktorgValued MemberMember

Yes, just be patient.

3. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

I had worms crawling up the sides after 10 days, so i guess just be patient?
    My endlers go crazy for them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice