Microworm Query

1. A

Andy S Valued Member Member

I have recently started a microworm culture, something I have never done before.
    I have a glass jar with 2cm of oatmeal mixed with boiled water and is a sloppy consistency with a sprinkling of yeast in top, as per the instructions which came with the starter culture.
    It's at 'room temperature' which is around 22deg.

I stirred the mixture daily, as instructed and was assured that by day six the worms would be crawling up the sides of the jar. I waited and waited but nothing.
    Yesterday was day 10 and still no worms on the side of the jar, I assumed the started culture was not viable and was going to throw it out BUT just before I did so I had a really good look and realised that the surface of the mix was absolutely crawling with worms; looking across it into the light I could see that the surface was 'rippling' there being so many worms.
    Problem is that none of them have taken to climbing the sides of the jar so I am unable to harvest them.

Is this normal? Am I just being too impatient? Will they eventually start to climb? Do I have the very first batch of microworms suffering from acrophobia?

2. ktorg

ktorg Valued Member Member

Yes, just be patient.

3. imba

imba Valued Member Member

I had worms crawling up the sides after 10 days, so i guess just be patient?
    My endlers go crazy for them!