Question Micropoecilia Picta care questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There isn't much info on the Internet on Micropoecilia picta. I know some people here have them, and I'd appreciate your sharing what you know about them.

My questions thus far:

1) Can they do small tanks? I have an 8-gallon open as a species only tank (unless my daughter wins a certain RAOK Betta--there are a few hours left till midnight!)

2) Would they be too stressed out to hang out in the 40-gal breeder with a couple of aging Boesemani who have lost most of their shoal (and look unhappy for it) and some Girardinus metallicus that I'm going to be getting?

3) Another option for a tank would the 10-gallon Neon Tetra/X ray tetra/otocinclus tank, but that's cut with RO water, so I think it'll be too soft. The schools in there have sadly died down to 4, 2, and 1 I wouldn't put any Endler's or reticulata in there. Does this fit with your experiences?

I'm going to keep them separate from the Endler's as I don't want to hybridize and also I'm still working on getting to generations 3 and 4 before I start breeding them by themselves on purpose.

Last edited:

TheBettaBar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1) 5-10 gals work totally fine for them

2) I kept them with G metallicus in a slightly brackish setup, but I don't know if I'd put them in with the rainbows. Also, if you keep them with other livebearers you're trying to breed you will get ZERO fry unless you use breeding traps for every pregnant female. They are the worst fry hunters I've ever kept.

3) Ehhhh, I wouldn't keep them in RO water.

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1) 5-10 gals work totally fine for them

2) I kept them with G metallicus in a slightly brackish setup, but I don't know if I'd put them in with the rainbows. Also, if you keep them with other livebearers you're trying to breed you will get ZERO fry unless you use breeding traps for every pregnant female. They are the worst fry hunters I've ever kept.

3) Ehhhh, I wouldn't keep them in RO water.
Thanks for the help! I think I'll try several in the 8 gallon for now, that is, if my daughter doesn't win that Betta girl

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rats! My friend emailed me that he caught some Picta today while collecting specimens but then tossed them back. As he explained, they weren't what he was after, and anyway, I misunderstood as it's Poecilia Picta and not Micropoecilia Picta. Sigh.

I think I'll just get some Trinidadian reticulata that he's been working on. They're cute and zippy with black spots like the Endler's but on a pale blue and lavender background

OP
endlercollector

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You? Voice of reason? Heh, heh, good one there!

But my friend has said that he can get me some "surplus" orange guppies. There's such a huge genetic variety out there--way beyond the handful of patterns that we see in inbred fish in tanks. The world is just a livebearer smorgasbord!

Hmm, but now we're going to put a Betta girl in the 2nd Evolve 8, so I really do need another livebearer tank...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom