Microbubbles

1. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

I have 2 filters that are canisters, Hydor Pro 350 and Eheim 600 on my 75 gallon tank and they produce a bunch of micro bubbles, I have turned each one off for several hours in turns to see which one is causing it. Seems both of them are, I've even turned both off and used my Magnum H.O.T. 250 on it with the micron filter to try and get rid of them along with other particles after water changes and nothing happens.
    The tank still looks okayish, but it is very bothersome having the bubbles everywhere.
    I just changed all of the filters in the tanks and put in new filter floss in both of them, as it was time and even after 4 hours it is still the same.

Any ideas?

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

FYI I don't have either canister. I run a FX4 for my tank. I had this problem with my FX4 doing the microbubbles and it turned out that I didn't have enough water on the top to cover the parts where the hose and the intake valve is meeting. Basically the male end and the female end are not under water and should be. When the intake is taking in water it's also sucking in air from the top causing the microbubbles. I added water to go above where the valve and hose connects and stopped the problem a few hours later.

I hope that helps.

3. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Any airstones nears the outputs? Are you using the spray bars? I have the Hydor 350, I had Micro bubbles with the straight output but the spray bars stopped it.

4. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

The canisters are full to the brim before top was put on then i let it overflow into bucket to make sure whole thing was full and it still does it. I have an air stone that is near the output but I've had it off for a day and still does it. I have the spray bars on at the moment.

5. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

It's often air getting into the intakes being broken into smaller bubbles by the filter impellers. Check for air stones/bubblers in the area of the intake, or possibly a low water around the intakes. One way or another you're getting air into your filters.

6. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

hmmm the airstone is not near any of the intakes and i've even had it turned off all day today and they are less pronounced but still there. I'll just wait and see if it helps but leaving it turned off for now. Also the intake are at the very bottom of the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

I just emptied the canister and let it re-prime itself to see if that would help, and now it made it much worse...

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Perhaps you might have too much junk in the canister...sort of over stuffing it?

9. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Yeah it is possible, I had added some extra floss over one tray so I pulled that out and I guess we shall see. At this point I'm done with it. It is just this one canister that is causing it and I'll be getting a new tank soon so it will just go on that one and i'll deal with it then.

Thanks for the help!