Micro Worm Cultures Help

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by psalm18.2, Apr 11, 2018.

1. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I just bought a micro worm culture. How do I keep them alive?

2. AidanG20GNew MemberMember

i dont know just ya know feed them daily and stuff. here’s a picture of my shrimp if that helps.

Attached Files:

3. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Oat meal and yeast. Get some quick oats and make a nice mushy cup full of of it using warm water. Place the oat meal in a whatever container you want to use ( I use old betta cups) and make sure theres a few air holes. You don’t want the air holes too large, fruit flies will get in lay down eggs. I usually cut one big hole then stuff a cotton ball in it.

Add a pinch of yeast, add the micro worm culture (spoon full is fine) and you’re done.

When the culture turns brown and starts smelling bad (ammonia like) restart the culture as directed.

4. AidanG20GNew MemberMember

Cooking with Demeter

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Here's another helpful website I use:

(Though Demeter's advice is great!)

6. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Thanks. How long do the worms usually last for?

7. MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Each culture lasts about a month (in my experience) before getting too smelly.

8. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Same as above, about a month. Don't forget to start a new culture, I've let mine sit for quite a while between fry, to the point of being mostly dried up. Thankfully it still had some live worms or I'd of had to buy a new starter.

9. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I'll be using these worms to feed a puffer. So every month I'll need to start over? How long is the worm life cycle? Thanks.

10. MazeusWell Known MemberMember

It's not exactly starting over each month. You take a spoonful of your existing culture and add it to a newly prepared container (fresh oatmeal and yeast). Then give the new culture a few days to develop and voila! I then empty out the old container (I actually empty it into my kitchen waste wormery) and then wash the container and have it ready to start the next culture.

I don't know about the life span of an individual micro worm, but they do breed pretty quickly.

11. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

It's a little odd to try feeding a puffer micro worms, the only one I can see going after them would be pea puffers, but even then maybe not. They are mainly used for fry and filter feeders (bamboo shrimp) as they are very tiny.

12. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

There are videos on YouTube. I suggest you watch a couple. Very informative.

13. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Thanks for all the advice. I just got the starter culture today. Now I need yeast to start them. Are they always so mushy at first?

14. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Think I did something wrong, haven't added yeast yet and the jar already smells.

15. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

What’s it smell like? A bread dough or cheese-ish smell is good.

Can you post a pic?

16. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

It smelled like rotten something. I threw it away.

17. MazeusWell Known MemberMember

They don't smell great. Mine smells sour (is probably the best word) and yeasty.

18. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

You might have waited too long to put the yeast in. I add a pinch of yeast right before I add a bit of the old culture and in 3ish days the new culture is going strong. It could also of been a dud starter culture. Live microworms can be seen fairly well with a flashlight. My culture “shimmers” in the light as the worms wiggles around.

19. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I didn't even need a flashlight to see mine - I could see the wriggling mass on the sides of the see-through container. I also added yeast right away and didn't have issues.

20. UnderwaterGalaxyValued MemberMember

If they are anything like white worms they go bonkers for bagels with yogurt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice