Question Micro sword, Dwarf sag, or Dwarf hairgrass?

KJB42

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a low tech 10G tank with seiryu stone throughout. I am going to fill in the back with rotala and val but want to have a grass-like midground plant to put in front of the vals and in the corners. Between Micro sword, Dwarf Sag and Dwarf hairgrass, what do you recommend? I have liquid ferts, root tabs, and high lighting but no c02

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve always really liked micro sword. I don’t have any experience with it, but I would think it would be ok with a high PAR value and all of your ferts

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have micro sword in two tanks. One is completely carpeted. It is a 33 long. I have dirt capped with fluval stratum, took about 6-8 months for full carpet. High light.

The other tank has medium light and I added it about a month ago and is already shooting runners out. Substrate is just black sand. No ferts at all.

Johnb114

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One thing I learned very quickly about micro sword is it did not do well when I added crushed coral in a media bag to my filter. Started to melt fairly quick.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
I've grown all three and dwarf sag was my favorite. That said, they're different so it's just a matter of what you like.

I did like dwarf hairgrass but confess that I got tired of maintaining it - cutting the grass and picking out the pieces. It's very attractive though.

New Threads