Micro organisms in plants?

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by damprye, Mar 20, 2010.

1. dampryeValued MemberMember

Micro organisms in plants for fry? due to hatch anytime now

In my breeding tank I do not have any live plants and have heard that when they are first free swimming that tend to eat the micro organisms living in the plant so I was wondering if I should pull my potted live plant out of my other tank and put it in my breeding tank once I have free swimming fry? I will of course be feeding them proper foods but I was wondering if the idea had any merit to it?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Tiny fry that are hard to feed and raise will indeed snack off rotifers and other microscopic critters on and encouraged by plants.
    what kind of fry are you anticipating?
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    d

dampryeValued MemberMember

My Mummy DT betta is a cambodian with the traditional red colouring and my Daddy SD betta is an opaqueXclear with pastel blue and yellow colouring. There are roughly 1000 eggs but I realisticly know that not even half of those will survive, I am not experienced enough to get the high numbers of fry.
    I can't wait to meet my little wrigglers tomorrow, Daddy is doing a very good job with the handling, not even one egg is on the floor :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  4. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Live plants play a very important role in a spawn tank....They help keep the water quality up and YES, there are goodies for the newly hatched fry to munch on....

I ALWAYS use live plants...

5. OP
    OP
    d

Ok awesome thhank you MM.
    Also another Q, Should I go buy some more live plants from my LFS or just use the one I have in my other tank?
    Would the ones from the LFS have the organisms or would they need time?
    Im just so excited I want to find out about all the extras so I can help the lil ones AMAP

6. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

I'd use the plants from your tank....

7. OP
    OP
    d

Ok will do, thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice