Mickey - the showoff

COBettaCouple
LOL.. I'm not sure which of us influences our little stinkers here.. but we sure love them.. although when it leads to them getting as sick as Mickey's been, it's kind of a good/bad thing.

chickadee
Mickey is ill? Oh no! What is the matter?

Rose

Blub
LOL.. I'm not sure which of us influences our little stinkers here.. but we sure love them.. although when it leads to them getting as sick as Mickey's been, it's kind of a good/bad thing.
Hi!

What happened to Mickey?

Good news - I got some decent pics of MalachI recently. Now to get them on the computer....>

COBettaCouple
Mickey developed popeye a couple weeks ago. Treated him with Maracyn Two and thought it had cleared up, but a few days later it came back worse. Maracyn Two didn't have any effect and he was in really bad shape. Just lying on the bottom breathing heavy and columnaris set in and pushed his one eye up.

So Monday, I did a total water change, cleaned it all out and acclimated him back in. Started him on Triple Sulfa Tuesday morning. Garlic drops, vita-chem, fish protector and rid-fungus too. The Triple Sulfa was done yesterday and I did an almost total water change and cleaning today. His one eye, the one that was pushed up, is still big and a bit cloudy but he's acting normal now. I'll have to check him tomorrow and see if I want to put him through another course of Triple Sulfa or not.

chickadee
Maracyn Plus is good on the popeye thing too. I have had really good luck with the Maracyn Plus where popeye is concerned. This sounds like he injured his eye somehow. If it was bacterial only the Triple Sulfa should have taken care of it pronto. It would not be water quality with the tank maintenance you do and have done so unless there is a problem with the water supply out of the tap, that is not the problem. Could you be having high nitrates in your water system? That happened to Marty Jr. here and he went crazy with a popeye until I used Spring Water on his tank for a couple of weeks. Our nitrates went to over 40. When we had a spike of nitrates of over 80 I even lost a betta. (Noel)

Tell Mickey that he is still handsome and the ladies will still love him and that should help his ego. We know that he is a little flirt!

Rose
:console:

COBettaCouple
I couldn't find Maracyn Plus around here for some reason, and didn't have time to order it. The triple sulfa did great for him and he's acting totally normal now. His eye is just a tiny bit larger than the other eye and a tiny bit cloudy now.

The tap water is the same as since we moved here and I think he developed popeye as a secondary infection - the result of his biting all those chunks out of his tail, despite the daily vita-chem and fish protector after he did. The lost fin area is almost all grown back now.

I'm going to try giving him garlic drops daily and daily water changes for now. I hate to give him more antibiotics after all he's had, but will start another course of Triple Sulfa immediately if there's any change for the worse.

pamd
Good luck with Mickey! I'm glad you've got him on the right track to a full recovery!

COBettaCouple
Thanks, he's a happy guy now and pretty spoiled on all the extra attention he's been getting lately.

Shawnie
I'm so glad hes better....do you ever wonder if they do this kinda stuff on purpose to get our FULL attention? nawty boys!

nmwierman1977
Dave I'm so glad that he is doing better. I know you've been really worried about him and were almost ready to give up. I'm so glad you didn't.I told you all you have to have is hope and faith and he'll get better,plus it doesn't help to have a close friend to be there for you even though its only through texting. I'm always here for you along with everyone else on here. Natalie

COBettaCouple
Thanks Natalie.. yea, he was so bad off Monday, we both thought he was a goner. Now he's looking ready to teach your Miles how to be fiesty.

Blub
Hi!

I've had fish like that before... Although not quite the same illness - my old Black molly Shadow (You don't want to know why I check the net every time I use it to get dead leaves out now!) kept getting ick that just would not clear up! Well done Mickey for healing up now; we all love you Mickey!

Allie
Mickey & Jasper have been thru a lot haven't they.

COBettaCouple
Yea.. it's so tough watching a fiesty betta that you love just lie there. I'm glad things are looking up for both of them now.

Allie
Yea.. it's so tough watching a fiesty betta that you love just lie there. I'm glad things are looking up for both of them now.
Me too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
nmwierman1977
Replies
Views
PaulaMPi
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies