Mickey Mouse Platy Problem

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My 10 Gallon tank has one dwarf gourmai, one Mickey mouse platy, and two ghost shrimp.. originally I had three platies however I was sure one was female and pregnant at one point, as she had dropped some fry which my gourami happily munched on. After this the males bothered her constantly, she was looking extremely stressed and worse for wear (she had lost part of her tail). I moved her to my friends house, where she healed nicely, dropped another batch of fry and has now happily become the sixth member of her five tiger barb 10 Gallon tank. This still left me with the two males, whom after about two weeks of semi getting along began to constantly chase one another. The one started to look very stressed, darting up and down the glass of the tank and sometimes darting all over in a confused way. I took the other one doing the chasing back to the fish store as a surrender and hoped for the best. Now the one that's left hides a lot of the time, comes out for food now and again but mainly stays hidden in the rock cave I put in for the ghost shrimp. I have tested the water, and nothing is alarming, all levels are normal or where they should be. My tanks been set up since December, is heated, and I recently gravel vac'd and changed the water with preconditioned water. I do have some aquarium salt I've used before in these situations, but with the ghost shrimp and my live plants I would rather not use the salt, even just a little piece. Everyone in the tank seems fine, except my mickey mouse platy. Does anyone have suggestions on what else I can do? Based on how happy my female is at my friends with her tiny cherry barbs, and knowing the 3:1 ratio for these fish, I am wondering if my only option is to return him. I cannot and will not get more females as the fry is a big issue and my tank is only 10 Gallons. I do plan on getting a bigger tank but with the times we are in now, money is tighter than usual. I want him to stay, but I'm worried for his health at this point. What else can I do?

NickGNz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He’s probably scared as he is the only one left in tank now. 10 gal is prob a bit small for a platy to be honest. I’d return him and maybe get a small shoal of neons or ember tetras. Or maybe some male guppy’s

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would just return him.
NickGNz said:
He’s probably scared as he is the only one left in tank now. 10 gal is prob a bit small for a platy to be honest. I’d return him and maybe get a small shoal of neons or ember tetras. Or maybe some male guppy’s
Male guppies don't usually get along. Unless op is fine with dealing with fighting, I wouldn't get guppies.

OP
Shambhalaubie

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The female platy seems fine over at my friends with the 5 cherry barbs in her ten gallon. I did find when she first got there it took a while for her to realize the threat was gone, but after a week or two she perked up. I want to give him a little more time, but I also don't want to torture the poor fish. He isn't totally alone, my dwarf gourami is there but she could care less about one little platy. I would like some other fish but knowing my tank size I can't push it too much. And I definitely don't want any fighting, I need peaceful fish that will be compatible with my dwarf gourami and the ghost shrimp.

OP
Shambhalaubie

Shambhalaubie

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'll keep them in mind, thanks so much for your opinion! I really appreciate it.

New Threads