5 Gallon Tank Mickey Mouse Platy issue HELP

guppy2

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
...I have a 5gallon tank & i have 1 mystery snail & 3 mm platy's ...it turns out that my plats are (2male & 1 female) & i was wondering if haveing 2 males & just one female will create a problem? if so what r sum solutions?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is possible, although I've kept them in different ratios so it's really something you just need to play by ear. The general rule for livebearers is 1m/3f. I wouldn't add any other fish to this tank because of its size, at this point it is overstocked. I guess one of the best solutions is to remove the dominant male and house him elsewhere.

edit* looked at your tank info, is the tank 1.5 or 5g?

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunetly, 5 gallons is a bit small for platies. They get to two inches, but they need the swim room that a 5 gallon can't provide. They need a 10 gallon minimum.

I've had slight issues keeping 2 male platies together in a 10 gallon tank, they would occasionally chase each other. In a 5 gallon tank, once they get comfortable, they will probably end up chasing each other ALOT, especially with a female to fight over Another thing, platies are just little poop machines, they will eat and poop alllll day long, which may make keeping the parameters of a 5 gallon tank stable very difficult

One option would be to buy a 10 gallon tank (or even a little bigger if possible), and perhaps take back the two males and get another female? You will have fry for a few months (the number of months is variable) until the females use up the stored sperm. You can either raise the fry and give/sell to a willing LFS, or allow them to be eaten. It's really a personal thing, some people don't mind doing that because it happens in nature. Two females are more likely to get along in a 10 gallon then two males, I believe.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I hope you will keep updating us with your progress

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree, my platys do much better in my 10 gal then they did in my 3 or 5 (oops! not enough info when I started but we did okay lol). I've kept 2 males before w/ no problems, but it just depends on the fish. I currently have 2 females and they seem very happy to have each other and so far no fry. I vote on the bigger tank for your platys though!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you can't upgrade the tank and you're set on platys, you could keep one in there and take two back. That's the advice I was given today and now I have a male living in my 5g. Sure, ideally they're better in a 10g minimum but sometimes we can't always do what's ideal I've learned.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom