Mickey mouse fish pregnancy?

1. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

I got a ten gallon tank with 2 Mickey mouse platys for my son's birthday present. I was assured that both the red and yellow MM platys were female. I later found out Red is a girl and Yellow is a boy. I think Red is pregnant but I'm not 100% sure it is possible she is constipated. Red has ballooned out in size. She also seems to take forever to poop and when she does it's a long string. We feed them fish flakes and frozen blood worms. We have had them since May 26th so it is possible she is pregnant but besides her size I can't find another sign of pregnancy. What do you think is she pregnant or constipated?

2. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

With platy's it could be either. Is it possible that you are overfeeding? Also, I think a diet of too many bloodworms can lead to constipation. But if she isn't pregnant now, she probbaly will be soon.

I know this wasn't a great answer, I've never kept platy's, but at least this will bump you back up to the top where hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

3. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to the forum! Ok now a ton of questions:p, what are the parameters, is it cycled, any other fish, and could you post a photo?

4. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello wsj...

Good luck with livebearing fish in such a small tank. Whomever recommended keeping livebearing females in 10 gallons of water, hasn't a clue how to take care of them. Hopefully, this is the first pregnancy for this female and she only drops a dozen or so fry. Females can drop dozens.

Keep the tank water clean by changing 3 or 4 gallons every three to four days, or the build of fish waste will kill the fish pretty quickly. Add some individual stems of a floating plant like Hornwort to help keep the tank water cleaner between water changes.

Consider a larger tank. A minimum of 30 gallons for this species of fish.

Old

5. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

Thank you I didn't know that blood worms could cause constipation. My tank is cycled it is freshwater. I have a cave a ceramic turtle and 3 fake plants in it. I can't figure out how to post a picture when I do I will. I have been doing partial water changes every week. Clean water is not my problem. My water levels are perfect for my MM platys (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, chlorine hardness).

6. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

7. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

I hope these pictures help. I have cooked and shelled some plain peas and drop them in the tank after I was told it can help with constipation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

Does anybody know how long till the peas help the constipation? I have been giving them peas for a couple days now but she is still huge.

9. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

She's probably pregnant, especially if you have a male with her she'll always be prego as long as he's with her. She'll also keep giving birth for 1/2-1 year after. If you plan on keeping her you'll need to get another female as males can stress a single female to much.

10. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

We got another female a rainbow platy. But now my ammonia levels have spiked from zero to 1. Rainbow is getting along with Red and Yellow just fine but she prefers to be alone at the top of the tank or at the bottom buried in the rocks. I'm worried about her a bit. Should I be?

11. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

Well I came home from work and Rainbow was dead in the tank. No damage to her or nothing. I'm doing another ammonia test right now. I have no idea how long she has been in there dead since I left at 530 this morning and she was alive and swimming. My ammonia levels went from .25 to .50. I going to do a complete tank cleaning and see if that helps with the ammonia. I don't know what she died from. Do I dare get another fish to replace her? My son will notice she is gone.

12. Anastasia Vedmedenko Initiate Member

You could always try to return the platy to the store you got her from. I know that some stores, like Petland, have a 30 day fish guarantee and will exchange her with a male for you. Platies tend to do better in groups of 3 males as opposed to 2, though, so consider that for the future if you can. :)

13. wsjf062107 Initiate Member

Anastasia I have 1 male and 1 female platy. Rainbow was my second Female.