MIA Amano Shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by el337, Aug 12, 2015.

1. el337Fishlore LegendMember

On Friday I brought home 2 more Amano's to add to the 2 I got the week prior. Before I brought those 2 home, I would regularly see the original 2 out and about. Since Friday, I have only seen ONE shrimp out of the four. I can't tell if it's the same one or a different one.

I'm pretty sure if they are hiding, they have to be inside the driftwood where there are a lot of cracks and crevices. But I just don't see them out... not even to eat! I'm wondering if the 3 are dead or eaten? Would my fish have eaten them? Would the shrimp have fought and eaten each other?

I even lifted the driftwood last night during the WC and expected them to scurry out like cockroaches but didn't see them. I'm hoping they are just hiding and come out at night when we are asleep but the thing that is concerning is that as mentioned before, I used to see the 2 that I had even during daylight hours especially when it's feeding time.

Is there a way to draw them out just to check if they are all ok?

2. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

what fish do you have in the tank with them?

3. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Listed in my profile

4. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

this might help

5. el337Fishlore LegendMember

You think? They were pretty good sized shrimp - about 1.5 in.

Also checked my stocking list with a few members here and I've heard nothing about kribs making a snack out of them. :(

6. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

i dont know,this is what im finding

but some say there fine...it might depend on the fishes mood

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  7. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Update: hubby just found one dead by the kitchen floor. So it crawled out of the tank. Two are still missing. Possible they crawled out too. Is this common with shrimp? My water parameters are normal.

I have an opening on the lid between the two hob filters. I may have to put the plastic piece into the glass hood and cut out inserts for the filters.

8. Thomas LinValued MemberMember

Lots of people have stories about Amano shrimp exploring the house. However, none of the 3 I have ever went above water, much less out of the tank. I don't even have a lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. el337Fishlore LegendMember

I did do a water change last night and the only thing I did differently was raise the water level a lot higher -almost touching the outtake where the water flows out. I don't know if it made it easier for the shrimp to climb out and accidentally fall off.

But again they were missing for 4 days and only just discovered one right now so not sure if that is the reason. Ugghhh

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

My amano shrimp climbed out of my tank too...... sorry for your loss.

11. Thomas LinValued MemberMember

Maybe the Kribs scare them. I dose stuff like Excel and my intake and outtake are straight pathways out of the tank, but the highest they've been was upside down hanging from the frogbit roots, and that happens very rarely.

12. KasyeValued MemberMember

Have you checked inside your filter? Mine occasionally likes to climb in there. Whenever he's missing for an extended period of time, I pull out the filter cartridge (usually he's clinging onto it), and if he's not there, I shine a light inside the filter to see if he's in the water.

13. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Just checked both filters. Nope, not in them. Checked under the couches, behind the couches. Inside the stand. Nothing. Quite possible the Kribs may have eaten them since those are the only other additions and the pearl. And I doubt the Pearl did bc it's scared of its own reflection. If the Kribs ate them, they were thorough bc I don't see a single evidence of any bits left.

Thanks Anders247

14. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's very possible the kribs ate them. They are cichlids after all. I have semi-aggressive kribs from the wild, after all. They chased out my paradise fish, I had to move it to another tank...

15. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Ok well, now I have to think of another type of cleaning crew. Maybe I'll have to get a snail after all. I'm hearing iffy things about ottos. SAE's u think?

16. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of your tank?

17. el337Fishlore LegendMember

36.4" x 16.4" x 21.9"

18. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't do SAEs in that, they get 6 inches..... I would do a 55 min for them.

19. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I agree, SAEs need a 48" footprint at the least. What's your view on plecos?

20. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Would ghost shrimp be pointless also? Should I try oto's? If neither, I guess the only algae eater would be snails or a bn pleco. If snails, what are the most effective? Mystery?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice