Mexican Biotype tank

1. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

Hi all

I'm currently cycling a 75gallon tank and am toying with the idea of stocking it with fish native to Mexico. So far I've found platy and firemouth cichlid at my lfs. Any other ideas?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

How about a Mexican Tetra or a Blind Cave Fish or a Texas Cichlid (also known as the Rio Grand Perch. Of course if you go with a/or many cichlids you are not going to want to include cichlids. They will tear the Tetras up. :;id

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Those Tetras are cool! I've had my eye on them for years lol

4. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I would do a Texas cichlid, and 10 dither fish unsure of a Mexican type of dither fish though.

5. LockedBox Member Member

Mexican dwarf crayfish! Crayfish are awesome sauce.

6. Squirtle =) Member Member

The texas idea sounds great!! I am currently growing out juvies and they are already giving me tons of joy plus they carry some amazing color!

Not sure there are any Mexican dither fish! If your going with a single texas there would be no need for dithers apart for looks. A pair of texas in a 75G is pushing it but would work with good water changes.

A friend actually has a 125G with 3 texas in it a colony of firemouths + Columbian tetras which works really well. when the texas grow up he plans to move the fire mouths over to another tank so you could do the same for your 75G but it would not last more then 2 years max I would say maybe less unsure how fast texas grow mine have not made any amazing growth over the month.

7. josh7 Well Known Member Member

You could just do the Texas pair you would have to keep up on water changes.

Never thought about a pair squirtle great idea.

8. sanjin Well Known Member Member

If I were doing a mexican biotope, I'd focus on one of the wild type swordtails, like xiphophorus montezuma, xiphophorus alvarezi, or xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl. You won't find them at your LFS, but they do pop up on aquabid occasionally.

9. Squirtle =) Member Member

;D thanks. Yeah water changes would have to be weekly or even every 4th day or so once the fish reaches a good size you would also want a nice filtration system and to build a good area with lots of caves and hiding spots for the female.

10. Coupleoffish Initiate Member

I have platies now....so perhaps add some other colors or swordtails?

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Hey, I was on aquabid today and saw a few Mexican species that I did not even know exited. Here is a sample of one from AQUABID.COM:.

Auction is for Seven juv fry. They are pretty with a golden brown back and white belly, dorsal has 2 darker crescents, and when in good condition the body has bluish sheen. Males get about an inch and females almost an inch and a half. This is a not easily maintained and bred fish as females tend to be short lived and may only drop babies a few times. They also enjoy warm water, 34 deg C (90+) average where they are found. This Fish is VERY RARE IN CAPTIVITY and endangered in the wild. Their parents came from the XGSC who have maintained them since 1993. A great little fish. .....................

There are more like it and all have pictures. You might want to check it out.

Wendy