Metric Vs. Imperial.

1. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

I'd just like to take some time to explain why the metric system is SO MUCH better than the imperial system.

Everything is even. 100 cm =1m. 1000m = 1km.

1000mL = 1L.

Length x width x water level /1000 = volume. (I don't mind gallons though.)

0 degrees celsius= freezing point of water. 100 degrees = boiling point of water

2. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

To be fair, the imperial temperature system is based off body temperature... according to wiki: The lower defining point, 0 °F, was established as the temperature of a solution of brinemade from equal parts of ice, water and salt (ammonium chloride).

But yeah, maybe its my metric bias talking... but i do agree!

3. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

I didn't know that, but it seems sorta far fetched vs. celsius.

4. Manytanks

Manytanks New Member Member

I actually prefer to use a mixture of the two depending on what I'm doing at the time

5. alauruin

alauruin Valued Member Member

Metric makes more sense in terms of consistency, but for those of us who grew up with the imperial system, it's mighty hard to switch. I understand at a very basic level what "an inch," "a foot," or "a pound" is, even if they have weird conversion values. I have to stop and calculate quickly in my head to understand if someone gives me a measurement in a metric value, because that stuff just isn't quickly in my head. You can say something is 100 centimeters, but to me.... that means absolutely nothing. If it's 100 inches, though, I can visualize that quickly.

Just like there are surely more logical languages than English, but it's the only one I'm fluent in, so it makes the most sense to my brain no matter how confusing it is! ;)

6. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I feel ya, do exactly the same yet in reverse!

7. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

I relate. I often convert colour to color, cm to inch, Celsius to Fahrenheit, etc.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I worked in quality control in a machine shop for many years, so I tend to be fluent with both systems. Automotive parts were mostly done with metric, but we did a lot of other types of parts that were still measured in inches. Most of our gauging equipment was capable of both, though we often used pins in thousandths of an inch to measure metric holes, so it was necessary to be able to convert the metric measurement to American standard (it's not Imperial in the US, there are differences) to ensure getting the right pin. Obviously, if we made a mistake and got the wrong size pin, there were going to be a lot of scrap parts!

Anyway, I've also always associated metric with scientific measurement. As noted, when done properly they all interlock, even across dimensions vs. volume, which is not an easy conversion in the American standard. So I guess you could say I'm bilingual when it comes to measurements.

9. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

I read too many foreign authors growing up, and I always find myself spelling things in non-American ways. Grey/gray, aluminium/aluminum.

Measurements are harder. I do pretty well picturing metric weights, but temp I always have to convert online and distance takes a little mental math!