Methylene Blue

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oaky I need some help, I got a few questions, and thanks in advance! So, I'm looking after a betta and gave him a tank upgrade from a 1 gallon to a 5.2, dosed enough TSS+ for a 100 gallon, and added a cherry shrimp to monitor the quality. The shrimp did fine (until three weeks later, he got eaten :'( ) but after about 10 or 11 days, the betta got bad finrot that was unresponsive to daily 50% water changes and a full treatment of kanaplex. I should be getting in m blue today, and I'm pretty afriad of doing the dip of 5tsp per 3 gallons for 10 seconds. The container I have I think is only a gallon or so, it's a larger critter keeper but for fish. Is there a gentler bath option? And how do I dispose of it, the sink/bath/etc are white and I'm in an apartment, what's the best way to not stain everything blue? Thanks

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The 1 gallon container would be perfect. The MB bath should only be 30 min to an hour long anyway.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
bigdreams said:
The 1 gallon container would be perfect. The MB bath should only be 30 min to an hour long anyway.
But at what dosage? From what I could see on the website it looked like there weren't directions for a bath, only a 10 second, very concentrated dip which I am not comfortable doing.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would treat MB as hazmat...it WILL stain everything. Do it in kitchen, lay down newspaper or cardboard, anything easily disposable. Assume anything that gets MB on it will be stained permanently. Obviously wear gloves and maybe an apron if you are clumsy. I suggest using a pipette to dose accurately and avoid spills. Don't do anything silly like knock over the bottle.

Fill container with water, dose MB, perform the bath. Return fish to tank, dump remainder of water down toilet . It won't stain porcelain toilet bowls. (At least not mine). You can quickly wipe off MB off tile no issue. Wood, fabric, probably not.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can do double the standard dose. Kordons MB has instructions for defungussing eggs . If you double that dose for your container size you should be ok for 30 min bath. Repeat daily .

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You want the water to be a deep blue. it wont hurt the fish. Just monitor it and if it starts to show any real signs of stress then remove it. You'll want to add an airstone as well. I do freshwater baths with Methylene blue for all my new fish before putting them in the display tank. I've never had an issue and I use the little fish container as well. Just match the temp as the tank and it'll be fine.

I do this method with saltwater fish for about 5-10min as marine parasites will instantly detach from a fish and die in freshwater. Goodle freshwater bath for fish method and you'll find tons of info on how to do it.

DillonPhoenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have done loads of meth blue dips in my time and have found this way to be most effective when treating fin rot and not causing the fish too much stress.

I get two containers that are both about 1 litre/0.25 gal in size, I fill them both with water from the tank the fish is already in, I then add 20 drops/1 ml of methylene blue to 1 of the containers, net the fish & quickly dip them in the meth blue water and count to 10, I then dip the fish in the other container of just tank water to remove any excess meth blue and then straight back into the main tank.

They sometimes might clamp their fins for a few minutes after being put back into their tank but they are usually back to normal and begging for food in no time!

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you!! How many days should I repeat this? Just until there are no more signs of finrot?

DillonPhoenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rtessy said:
Thank you!! How many days should I repeat this? Just until there are no more signs of finrot?
I would just do it once and then give it a few days to see how it looks. The meth blue coats any damaged parts of the fin, so usually it only takes one or two dips to stop the fin rot progressing and then really clean water and using something like stress coat as your water conditioner should help it regrow.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well I guess I was doing one thing right: the stress coat lol. And thank you very much, this has been incredibly stressful for me

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hope this water is blue enough.... also as soon as I out out in, he began breathing faster than normal, is this a normal reaction?
Edit: his breathing returned to normal after about fifteen minutes. I don't have a syringe, so I just did 10 drops in 1/2 a gallon.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom