Methods of Euthanasia | Page 2

1. minecraftluvsfishy Initiate Member

I really dont want to kill my best fish.. :(

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I never do, I just let them go naturally.

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I've tried medicating, letting them go "naturally," and clove oil, and I've finally decided on the latter when I see an impossibly curved spine and a mouth so ragged that the fish can't eat. It's never easy for me to do, but the fish go limp immediately and don't struggle, so they are much less stressed out that any of the ones I've tried medicating. I've decided that while it's a difficult decision for a pet owner to make, I can't let a fish suffer a slow and painful death when a human who has the resources can get pain meds.

4. Byron Smith Initiate Member

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    Thanks for the additional information.

6. Cyndi Warren Member Member

Can you use the clove oil method with a snail?

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Good question.

You might want to ask in the snail forum.

8. sliderdkp Member Member

I printed out the article. I will soon have to euthanize a large comet goldfish. He came home over spring break years ago and I still have him. A local small vet said that tumors are common in comets and mine has a large tumor just smaller than a golf ball on his side. He seems not bothered by it, but how will I know it is hurting him? Are there signs with the fins? etc.? Thank you for covering this information.

9. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I've had several fish and dogs with untreatable tumors over the years. What we've done is keep them comfortable and taken care of them until they were unable to eat, which is usually a sign that they've reached the point where they're suffering.

10. 5thgradeguppyraiser Well Known Member Member

I wish I knew this last July when one of my guppies had a badly chewed tail and couldn't even swim. I think he was tramatized when we were trying to put a female in the breeder and got caught in the net and that didn't help.

11. ravenlady13 Well Known Member Member

Thank you for posting this. I hate losing any animal, but I hate seeing them suffer more, and it's really comforting to know I have a reference of how to handle a dire situation.

12. spiffynid Initiate Member

I've used clove oil to sedate puffers before (clipping is traumatic without it), and there is a fine line between sedation and death. Thank you for the information.

13. ravenlady13 Well Known Member Member

Actually, I've been in the room (at my own request) during the euthanasia of 2 of my past cats. The method generally used is to sedate them, then keep giving them the sedative until they just stop breathing. If your animal is suffering (one of my cats had an inoperable brain tumor and one had feline lymphoma and had had a series of grand mal seizures) it's really a gentle way to end their pain.

14. katniss467 Initiate Member

I read that one of the best methods is using clove oil to put them to sleep, then placing them in a baggy in the freezer. This was they are completely asleep when the rapid chilling occurs.

On the same article a Coast Guardsman recalled having had to be rescued from waters whose temperature was rapidly dropping (not sure of the circumstances), because he began to go into a sense of euphoria and was on the verge of hypothermia without the sense to get out of the water.

Apparently this sense of euphoria is common among people who have been on the verge of death from drowning in cold waters. At first the water feels awful, and then it begins to feel warm and a sense of euphoria is felt.

Not sure if this is the same for fish or not, but at least the clove oil would put them to sleep first, and if it didn't happen to work quite as well (How do we tell if the fish is asleep or just paralyzed?) they may not be in pain for longer than a short while.

15. Hamsaphina Member Member

I always used clove oil then vodka, kills them quickly and humanely, I hate the idea of freezing fish. Euthanasia is always a hard decision :(

16. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Necessary, but I really can't even read this forum all that much. Pretty tough road.

17. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How come I have never seen a method where you just toss them outside? Is this inhumane?
    I guess you couldn't do this with labyrinth fish, as one jumped out of my tank and survived even though it was completely dry. It did damage his fins, though.

18. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i had a fancy live for 15 years with huge tumors on him. He actually passed when i moved across the country (to much stress i assume)

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Throwing a fish outside to slowly suffocate would be considered inhumane.

Since this is an informational thread only, it is being closed.

A new thread can be started if anyone has questions pertaining to their fish.