Metals Is Quikrete Play Sand?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by toeknee, Aug 3, 2017.

1. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Hello all. I have a 20 gallon long that I recently changed substrate from a dirted tank with sand cap to just sand and root tabs.....I used quikrete play sand because many other people have reported no issues with it. I have experienced a nitrate spike which may be due to a mini cycle caused by the substrate change. But recently while cleaning the glass one of my magnets fell into the sand and when I picked it up it was covered in what looked like tiny tiny metal shavings like what would be left over from a grinder. Anyone know what these bits might be? I'm assuming most metals are harmful for tanks?

2. G

Gracetheangelfish New Member Member

Did you rinse rinse rinse rinse? I had no problems with mine

3. OP
    OP
    toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

I did rinse but probably not enough. I couldn't see through the water for a day but after 2 days it was clear. I'm not terribly concerned about the nitrates being high right now because I also had an ammonia/nitrite spike due to a mini cycle and I think my filters are just trying to catch up after loosing so much bacteria in the old substrate. I just find it odd and a little concerning that there's metals...or at least something magnetic in the sand

4. G

Gracetheangelfish New Member Member

Give a hard dose of water conditioner it will settle...it's the dust...mine was cloudy for a few hours...if its cloudy tomorrow do a 25% water change ..and continue to do 25% water change each day untill clear...don't stir up the sand just the water.. also turn your output away of the sand if possible...takes a little time to settle..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice