Metals Is Quikrete Play Sand?

1. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

Hello all. I have a 20 gallon long that I recently changed substrate from a dirted tank with sand cap to just sand and root tabs.....I used quikrete play sand because many other people have reported no issues with it. I have experienced a nitrate spike which may be due to a mini cycle caused by the substrate change. But recently while cleaning the glass one of my magnets fell into the sand and when I picked it up it was covered in what looked like tiny tiny metal shavings like what would be left over from a grinder. Anyone know what these bits might be? I'm assuming most metals are harmful for tanks?

2. G

Gracetheangelfish New Member Member

Did you rinse rinse rinse rinse? I had no problems with mine

3. OP
    OP
    toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

I did rinse but probably not enough. I couldn't see through the water for a day but after 2 days it was clear. I'm not terribly concerned about the nitrates being high right now because I also had an ammonia/nitrite spike due to a mini cycle and I think my filters are just trying to catch up after loosing so much bacteria in the old substrate. I just find it odd and a little concerning that there's metals...or at least something magnetic in the sand

4. G

Gracetheangelfish New Member Member

Give a hard dose of water conditioner it will settle...it's the dust...mine was cloudy for a few hours...if its cloudy tomorrow do a 25% water change ..and continue to do 25% water change each day untill clear...don't stir up the sand just the water.. also turn your output away of the sand if possible...takes a little time to settle..