Metal stand and 55 gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Newtofish1, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Newtofish1New MemberMember

Hello all, I am fairly new to the fish hobby. I've had a 15 gallon for about 6 months and just bought a 55 gallon at Petco's $1 per gallon sale. What I've become stuck on is the stand. I need economical but safe. Would you guys recommend metal stands (either Petco's Brooklyn or Dr Foster's dual stand) over the MDF/particle board cabinet stands from Petco or Petsmart?

Thank you!

2. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I have the Brooklyn stand for my 40b and love it. It's very sturdy and sleek looking but didn't cost a fortune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I have a few of the dual stands from Fosters and Smith and like them a lot. Only problem with them is there is room for two. None of mine only have one tank on them. Even though that was the intention...

4. Newtofish1New MemberMember

Thanks so much for your quick replies. I feel like I've spent the past week looking at reviews and reading posts and I'm still not sure, though I'm leaning toward metal as I like the simple lines. Have either of you had problems with the long part of the rim of the tank no sitting on the frame? I have read this about the Brooklyn. Would this be a problem? Would you put plywood/foam combo to solve or is it nothing to worry about? I also read on one of the threads that as long as the four corners are supported and level is okay. Thoughts on this?

5. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Mine sits flush with the stand, I've had no problems. You just have to make sure the stand parts are level along the top when assembling it.

6. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Like so.

Attached Files:

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Absolutely not. Tanks with a floating bottom do not need anything under them but the stand. And all stands for tanks with floating bottoms only support the edge of the tank. Foam could cause it to become uneven and break a seal. And plywood would never touch the bottom of the tank anyway. So I don't see the point in that.

That's true.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice