Metal Chains in fish tanks

1. T

Tewreckz New Member Member

My wife and I currently purchased a 46 gallon bow front and are thinking of a theme we want. However we are both stumped on weather or not a decoration might be toxic or lethal to the fish. We are looking to a length of metal chain similar to this one found at home depot and also a piece of standard chain link fence. My question is would these items chemically harm the fish or alter the water in anyway? Thank you all in advance for your opinions and knowledge on the subject.

2. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

The problem is, they rust, and rust is a problem when it seeps into the water. I wouldn't risk it.

3. d

dakota Valued Member Member

I would not even take the chance on any chain in aquarium tanks like said before rust is a problem. Chain link fencing is galvinazed coated and this also is a problem. I would not do it to be safe. There are many decorations for aquariums. Go to LFS to look at everything and many good stores online. Have fun putting it all together it is a great hobby and we all learn by doing. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Fish

4. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

5. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't take the chance. Totally sealing links of chain is a risky business.

6. d

I agree with Jim. Spray paints are toxic. I would never take the chance inducing any kind of spray paint in any fish tank. That is a recipt for disaster over a period of time. We have to much money invested in our tanks to take a chance inducing something in a tank that could wipe it out totaly. Enjoy your tank and beautiful fish be safe. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish

7. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Krylon fusion is aquarium safe and the clear is commonly used to seal things that may not be safe for your aquarium. I have used Krylon fusion many times on the green tubes of Eheim filters. I have some otocinclus that happily rest on the the input tubes, and clean algae off them.

Using it on a chain would be no different than sealing anything else with it. Coat it well. Let it dry completely, turn it over and repeat. If you are not sure if you have completely sealed it, do it again. I personally would not want the look of a chain in my tank. But if I did, I would not hesitate to seal it and use it.

8. d

Marie1; Thanks for that info on that Krylon Fusion clear spray paint. I have used that on several thing not knowing that it can be used in aquariums. Good information to know because so many different things should never be put in tanks that could cause a crash. I have never over the years have had a crash and hopefully never will. Thanks again

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish