Mesh Moss Bag/Wall!

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by mmolitor87, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

I know this has been posted about time and time again but I thought I would share my experience with making this!

I went to Michael's craft and art supplies, where I found clueless employees. I stumbled around until I realize what I want would be under the needlepoint section. I bought 2 black canvas mesh plastic sheets and cut them to fit one side of the 10 gallon tank. It's the side nobody will ever view the inside of the tank from and will introduce enough moss to the tank to make it interesting! :) It will also block my cichlids from seeing tasty morsels they might wish to snack on. :p

Anyways, 9 feet of fishing line, 4 zip ties, and a lot of patience produced...

IMG_20121217_235007.jpg
    IMG_20121217_235020.jpg
    IMG_20121217_235033.jpg
    IMG_20121217_235037.jpg
    IMG_20121217_235041.jpg
    IMG_20121217_235102.jpg

I don't want to disturb the fishies right now so I'll add the moss and put it in place tomorrow. I also need to stop in again and get some suction cups! That way the fishies won't get behind it and get hurt. :(

2. M0T0

M0T0 Valued Member Member

Nice work, funny I went to the craft store here today and got a big bag of poly fill 50%off got it for 4$, I looked around for the mesh but couldn't find it they only had like 1 employee at the time and I was in a rush so maybe next time, hope it does well for you, & thanks for the pics I think I will do the same for a couple of my tanks :)

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I had khulis who got in behind all this sort of stuff all the time and I thought they were dead but they were just hanging out. Depends on what you have, but you can never be too careful.

Eager for pics of the finished product!

4. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

Thankfully it will be shrimp and endlers. :p It'll also be burrowed all the way down into the sand so nothing should get beneath it....

5. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Can't wait to see it when it's in the tank!!!

6. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

Tonight after work I picked up some suction cups. The first idea I played around with was cutting gaps in the mesh and pushing the cups through, but I was worried about breaking the mesh. I tested on a few pieces of extra mesh and decided to try a different route. I tried tying them on with fishing line, but I can never be satisfied by an ending to a "knot" when 2 ends hang lose. I ended up thinking it was flimsy and carefully revisited my first idea. Here are the results!

IMG_20121218_223049.jpg
    IMG_20121218_223100.jpg
    IMG_20121218_223134.jpg
    IMG_20121218_223847.jpg
    IMG_20121218_223909.jpg
    IMG_20121218_224349.jpg
    The guppy approves....I might not feed this one to my cichlids. :p

IMG_20121218_224359.jpg
    The "awkward" side of the tank that nobody sees except my cichlids.

IMG_20121218_224412.jpg
    IMG_20121218_224445.jpg

Tomorrow I get my mini canister filter and I'll set it up along with some seachem flourish tabs! :D

7. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

It looks really good. I am sure with time your moss will make a great wall. Good DIY job.

8. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

This is a really good idea ... i might try this sometime!!

9. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

It is indeed working...I'm seeing growth through the mess! Nothing worth posting pictures of, but I will update when it looks exciting.

10. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Off topic but I like your tattoo ;) anyways I have been debating how to setup my moss wall and this so far seems the simplist... I was going to ziptie all the way around...

11. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

Thanks lol. I find the opinion on it is usually to the extremes....most not liking it.

I secured the corners after finishing with the fishing line....mostly out of paranoia and that I can't settle on a knot. :/ If you moved the ziptie ends all to the back where the suction cups are you should definitely be okay since they're raised off the glass anyhow.

12. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Okay i am doing an experamental on on my 2.5g before i do a larger one so I will test the ziptie thing first!

And i plan to get a pair of koi swimming around my wrist like the Yin and Yang symbol... so yours is awesome I nor the haters ;)

13. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

A tiny update on the growth! It's working!! :D

IMG_20130106_021510.jpg

14. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

This is a very cool idea! :D Good job!

15. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

Thanks! :)

16. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Did you use a sewing needle? Looks good.

17. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

Nope...fed it through myself lol. Took ages, but I was watching a movie so I didn't mind. :)

18. cichlidmac

cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure you never mentioned the type of moss :p

19. Oso

Oso Well Known Member Member

oooh I want to try this!

20. OP
    OP
    mmolitor87

Duuuh, java moss! :what: lol

I know there are other types. Some might even be better for this, depending on the look you want. Its also going to be super crazy trimming this down in the future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice