Merry Christmas to ME! 20 Gallon Tank

1. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Well Hello Everyone!

Today was QUITE a day! I got a holiday bonus from the airline and decided to treat myself to a new fishy paradise ... a 20G Long!

My partner thankfully obliged to endulging this "Expensive Hobby" as he calls it. I found a 20g Long at Petsmart for 31 dollars. Petsmart also had a stand for 125. The hood was another 45 dollars. My partner bought the stand for me for Christmas - how sweet! But then we hit a major snag. I already had one tank divider from my divided 10 gallon tank. In order to put all three boys in my 20g Long, I needed an additional tank! Apparently, Petsmart and Petco in my area recently discontinued tank dividers. Another LFS only had 2.5g and 5g dividers. What to do? I kid you not ... two hours and FIVE stores later ... we found one. SUCCESS!

We drove home and I began cleaning out the tank and setting up my dividers. Petsmart told me a 10g divider would fit this tank ... lo and behold ... it didn't. This is just a minor setback. I had some craft supplies that included canvas I could use for a divider. The dimensions were PERFECT!

I began the process of dividing the 20g into three sections. I then put all three of my boys into their cups. After that, I took the gravel out of their tanks, rinsed it, and put it into the subsections. Following that were the plants. Then the water. The StressCoat+ and VitaChem ... and in just a few minutes - my boys! They're acclimmating now and I can't wait to get them into their new homes.

The new tank is in the dining room which I LOVE because they will be visible to all my guests. Also they'll be able to interact more often with myself and my partner because it is a much higher traffic area than the spare bedroom where they were all crammed onto my desk.

I'll post pics tomorrow. But just for those who are curious ... the background does include Christmas wrapping paper. Haha!

-Tony

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:clapping: It sounds great! I love the looks of a 20 long.
    I know your bettas will be happier having all that attention.
    Can't wait for the pics :)

:giggle: But now you two empty tanks.

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Sounds like quite the merry Christmas for you and your fishies!!! :;toast

I look forward to the pics! :)

4. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

You're right ... I do have two empty tanks! The exact conversation went like this:

Partner: I know what you're up to.
    Me: What would that be?
    Partner: You're going to put Ansett, Eos and Vanguard in this new tank in the dining room and then buy more fish for the two empty tanks in the spare bedroom!
    Me: I would never try such a thing! But would you mind if I did?
    Partner: Have you seen our electric bill?

At this point I lost the battle. But the war is not over. LOL

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;laughing Your partner has your number! That's too funny.
    My house is all electric. When my husband brings up the electric bill I tell him he should caulk the windows.
    Funny how the conversation ends there. >:D

6. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

We are putting up that plastic stuff over the windows to keep the cold air out as we speak ... you read my mind Lucy!

7. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

:clapping: congrats bro! just noticed we have the same names :D and we both got new tanks today! congrats to the tony's!!!
    :;hf
    LOL

cant wait to see pics!
    :photo:'s

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Caulk the windows. LOL Lucy. I'm the one that has to go around the house turning off all of the lights that Chef has left on. I point this out to him from time to time. Although he has never said anything about the electric bills and my tanks. (it wouldn't do him any good to mention the two in combination anyway!) lol

Congrats on the new tanks Tony, both of you. I'll be looking forward to your photos!
    Ken

9. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

Congrats :) Cant wait to see pic's,(I would have divided it for four ;)

10. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Pictures!

Okay here are pictures! First up is the tank and the three boys' sections!

Attached Files:

11. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Boy Pictures!

First is Ansett, then Eos, then Vanguard. Sorry - they were not in the mood to pose for pictures?

Attached Files:

12. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Okay, now a question. Last night when I put the boys in the new tank, Ansett (who is in the middle) immediately went back to his dark blue coloring (he got lighter in his death cup). This morning, I woke up and the light was already on (yay timers!) and I noticed Ansett is more pale than usual. The other two boys are perfectly fine. Is it just the move?

Previously, Ansett was in a divided 10g with only Eos. The two never bothered each other. Also, when I got Vanguard, their tanks were side by side and Ansett was "in the middle". I don't think this would stress him out to be in a divided 20g with two bettas around him? All water parameters are normal. The filters are from their original tanks.

13. click Well Known Member Member

Amazing job, the tank looks great.

14. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Lovely tank and boys!

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

nice tank! hmm.. maybe switch him to the other side and see how he reacts :;dk

16. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I was thinking of putting him on the end and putting Eos in the middle (Eos is my ADD betta.) Would it be too stressful for him to be moved again? I'm pretty sure it is Vanguard that scares him. Vanguard likes to lay at the bottom corner of his tank on the gravel right up against the divider where Ansett can see him. Ansett seems to not enjoy this so much.

Also:

Each section of the tank is individually heated and filtered. The filtering was important to me because in my divided 10g the side with the filter was crystal clear on top and the side without the filter got gunk buildup due to the water surface not circulating. Because each section is "independent" I thought of using java moss as a wall between Vanguard and Ansett. I was going to purchase some (probably off of Aquabid unless anyone has an excess? hehe!) and "Sew" it onto the divider to create a moss wall. Has anyone tried this?

17. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

The moss wall will DEFFINATELY make things better, its as if they have their own individual gettaway :p from what i read vanguard is a bully :nono:

You could try moving him if you want to, just watch for odd behavior after...

18. critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

Wow, that looks awesome!

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Great job on the tank! For now, I'd just keep an eye Ansett. Could be he needs to get used to "smelling" Vanguard in the same water.
    If he still seems stressed after a day or so, maybe try Enos in the center.

20. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hi Lucy!

I will leave Ansett in the middle until Wednesday. I leave tomorrow (sunday) for a trip and come home wednesday afternoon. In the meantime my partner will be keeping an eye on all of the babies! If he is still stressed come Wednesday I will move him out of the center compartment.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone! My tanks are better thanks to all your advice!