memorable moments for fish keeping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CodyJ, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CodyJ Valued Member Member

What's ur favorite fish keeping moment or experience

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

3. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Hmm... Saving my black angel from columnaris last year. Everyday I woke up expecting to see a body... now he's part of my angel pair.

4. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Having fish that I bred in my tanks, now living all over the country. Pretty epic! They are just waiting for my command to revolt. muhahahaha

5. aquatic Valued Member Member

Yesterday it would have been my guppy fry, raising them has been quite the experience. Today it would have to be my platy fry, which I only noticed moving stuff around getting it ready for my Bolivian rams. I found three tiny guys when I thought she just started showing pregnancy last week.

6. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I really enjoy the feeling you get when you realize your plants and/or fish have grown since you got them. It's difficult to explain why, but just knowing that you are growing something! I can't wait until I have the room to start breeding (ADFs first hopefully). I'd imagine that will be even more exciting ;D

Another memorable incident was when my ADF got sucked into the filter, due to a mistake putting it back together after a move. He was found not just in the intake, but in the filter housing, just before the motor. Really terrible stuff. But my Dad managed to get him out, and he was still alive. In fact, he's next to me now :) That was four months ago. So nippybetta, I can relate!

7. tnfishkeeper Valued Member Member

Raising guppy fry from birth to adulthood :)

8. plecodragon Well Known Member Member

Memorable moments---
    Any of my fish breeding and the fry surviving to adulthood and then having fish kids themselves. There have been many- guppies, (bronze, peppered, false julli, weitzmani, panda) cories, red tailed goodeids, bristlenose plecos, galaxy rasboras. There is nothing cuter then looking into a tank and spotting a tiny copy of a panda cory.

9. monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

knowing that even though I keep screwing up the doses of flourish my plants are still growing like weeds and my shrimp are happy in their pennywort jungle :)

10. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

My 8 1/2 year old Silver Dollar. Who's made it through a few sicknesses and has gone from a 20g to 55g to 125g. And has 8 other friends. :)

11. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Having one of my clown Loaches get stuck in a piece of driftwood when I was alone at home one night. Had to pull the huge piece of wood out of my 75g tank. Then use a screw driver and hammer to chisel the hole bigger with out hurting The Loach LOL When the hole was big enough he flopped out on the floor and I had to chase him to catch him and get him back in the tank. He was REALLLLLY mad but didn't suffer any consequences.
    Then when I told my husband about it he laughed so hard he had tears in his eyes...and yes I hit him with the towel I caught the fish with ;)
    Carol

12. fishynoob Well Known Member Member

Lol aww glad to saved your fishy. My best moment so far is doing the heimlich maneuver when my fish started chocking on gravel (well kinda lol) I netted him and very carefully held the stone while he freaked out a bit and it came free. Also raising fry is always a good thing. I also like it when my nanna finalllllly came to me for some advice on her really badly overstocked tank... unfortunately she still wont listen to my stocking advice but she has learnt how to gravel vac and clean algae... baby steps but hopefully!

13. Joel2036 Valued Member Member

When I was changing the water in my betta tank and he jumped out and landed right in the bucket on the floor :)

14. Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

When I first saw the adorable fin-waddle baby clown loaches do when they're going after bloodworms on the floor would be a big one. <3

Another would be finding my single baby molly in my tank...who is still growing. <3

I was ecstatic when my shy Gold Nugget Pleco, Vegas, suckered herself to the front glass with me watching. <3 RIP.

The first time my fish ate from my hand was wonderful, too. Nibble, nibble <3

15. Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Before the internet was used in any major way, when I moved to the city from a backwoods small town and found Aquarium Fish Magazine AND a pet store JUST FOR FISH AND AQUARIUMS! I was so excited! Before that I had no idea there was a "hobby" in that regard, my only knowledge being the department store fish tanks with goldfish, which were pitiful at best... but awe inspiring for someone who loved fish and had nowhere else to buy them from. :)

16. totes Valued Member Member

Prob going back to work after Sandy and discovering that Bubby, the 13 cent feeder goldfish, was still alive. I've had him for almost 2 years now and he's doubled in size. He's nuts and I absolutely love him.

17. CodyJ Valued Member Member

My most favorite memory is when my guppy had fry i was getting my other tank ready so they wouldnt get eating...i was very frantic