melting vals

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by brokenwing, Apr 10, 2010.

1. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

As anticipated i received some vals, and i know they will melt when transported from one tank to another. I know they will come back, and so I would like to add some seachem flourish. will the carbon in my aqua clear remove the flourish before it has a chance to work.

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I'm not sure whether it will remove it ot not.
    What kind of flourish are you using? Flourish excel is known to make vals melt.
    Carol

3. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

I have not used any, but it will be regular flourish, floruish excell, seachem says it will melt your vals.

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Some people think carbon doesn't remove any fertiliser elements from the water. Some believe that carbon does remove certain elements. I am in the second category. Activated carbon absorbs heavy metals so it is logical to me that it removes copper & iron from liquid fertilisers added to an aquarium.

If the plants are in bad shape when you get them (suffering bad melt) then I probably wouldn't add any fertilisers just yet. The unhealthy plants probably won't be able to make much use of the ferts that you add & you may just be supplying algae with nutrients. Wait until the plants are showing signs of recovering before you add the nutrients.

If your adding ferts to the tank already though for your existing plants, continue to do so. The vals will make use of the nutrients when they are ready & you established plants will use any nutrients you add while the vals recover.