Melting Hornwort

Dch48

I have had this happen twice now. I have Hornwort that is living and slowly growing and then the temperature in the tank goes up a few degrees. In my case the increase was from 74 to 78 both times and happened in the course of less than a day due to ambient temperature increase. Within a day, the hornwort just melts away. It's even like it just dissolves and disappears. Very little leaf litter is present and what there is is clear in color and also disappears quickly. The other plants, (Anubias, Java Fern, Bacopa, and Temple Compacta), are unaffected. Hornwort seems to be a very sensitive plant.

Skavatar

hornwort usually grows quickly and is a very hardy plant. most of mine are outside with morning sun and over 90'F temps. I have some in my indoor tank and the goldfish eats all of its leaves, leaving just the stems, and it keeps growing back.

what's your GH KH?

is it planted or floating?

Dch48

Planted or floating makes no difference. GH is 7, KH is 8. pH is 7.6. TDS 145. All from dechlorinated tap water that has no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate present. No copper either.

That's in the newly treated water. The tank has from 10-20 Nitrate at all times. No fertilizers of any kind are used and there is no co2 injection.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
CrazedHoosier
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
Replies
Views