Melatotaenia Praecox With Ulcer/lesion On Side

LuxuriantTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dear all,

I have a very worrying fish with a clear lesion on the side of its body. Below is a picture with my questions.

Tank

190 L/50 gallons, has been running for over a year now. It has a filter and heater. Temperature is 24 C (75 F).
Stocking:

- 6 Melatotaenia praecox (dwarf rainbowfish)
- 2 swordtails
- 9 zebra danio's
- 3 apistogramma cacatuoides ( 1 male 2 female )
- 1 bristlenose pleco
- 6 chorydora (false) julii
- 2 dojo loaches
- 6 amano shrimp
- 6 nerite snails

Maintenance
25% water change every two weeks. I do not treat my water with anything. I do add fertilizer though. I vacuum the sand every other water change.

*Parameters

I'm out of test strips. Will try getting them tomorrow.

Feeding
I feed my fish every day. Frozen bloodworms, flakes, some sinking pellets and duckweed for the rainbows.

Illness & Symptoms
I've had the rainbows for 2 months now. I noticed symptoms a week ago and it has gradually gotten worse. It looks like a sort of ulcer protruding from the side of the fish. It's only 1 spot but it's clearly red and elevated.

The fish in question behaves normally. Swims normally, eats normally etc.

So my questions:

- I've read this might be due to tuberculosis or some other form of mycobacteriosis. Is this the case?
- > if so should I be worried about TB transferring to me if I have a wound on my hand?
- Is it contagious, should I quarantaine the fish in question?
- What can I do to treat it?

melatotaenia praecox lesion side.JPG

If you read this and you have encountered these symptoms before please let me know! I'm extremely worried about this tank!

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take a deep breath & relax a bit. It doesn't look like fish TB. Its probably a non-lethal viral growth. Research Lymphocystis.
If you have a QT tank, be a good idea to remove the infected fish. Lympho. is contagious to weakened fish.
Consider upping your tank maintenence to a 50% WC each week. Lymphocystis can diminish over time if the infected fish's immune system strengthens.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom