Melalueca Oil/Melafix

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fbn, Nov 29, 2012.

1. fbn

fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello, everyone! I have a question for Melafix experts. The active ingredient is Melalueca Oil. I ran out of the medication, and don't feel like paying $7 for a bottle that is 98% water. And, my mom actually has Melalueca Oil on hand. However, it seems Melalueca gets their oils from atleast two different types of trees/plants; Melalueca Cajaputi and Melalueca Alternifolia. The Cajaput oil is what is used in Melafix, not the Alternifolia. However, The oil my mom has on hand is Alternifolia oil. While I'm not finding anything online that says I cannot use this oil, I thought I might as well ask if anyone has experience or knowledge with this particular question. Thanks!

2. carolo43

carolo43 Valued Member Member

I would not use it. In fact, I won't use Melafix or Primafix. I think they're a waste of money, myself.

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

From my research, melafix only really works for external and/or gram-positive infections, and it is not effective enough for anything more than mild problems like fin rot.

What's wrong with your fish?

4. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

I used bettafix once for my betta and he didn't show any bad signs, but I read that many fish will show negative reactions to it. I would use caution using Melafix, and would definitely stay away from what your mother has since it has not been specifically designed for fish. Wouldn't want anything bad to happen. Bettafix is similar to Melafix (maybe the exact same product just different packaging) and it is slightly less expensive than Melafix.

5. Eienna

Bettafix is a highly diluted version of melafix.
    There is some research that states that the problem isn't so much the labyrinth organ but that under certain water conditions it can cause organ failure in labyrinth fish. Usually that is if overdosed, but I wouldn't take the chance, personally.

6. WaterSpirit

WaterSpirit Valued Member Member

What would you not take a chance with? Using Bettafix on a Betta or using human product on your fish?

7. Eienna

Er....I guess you could get away with the bettafix but I'm doubtful that you could be sure of a safe dose trying the other subspecies. It reminds me a bit of eucalyptus; some you can use for tank driftwood, but some subspecies contain fish-killing compounds. Also, how would you be sure of the appropriate concentration, especially for one that's not usually used for fish? It would make me seriously nervous, personally.

8. OP
    OP
    fbn

Right now I'm trying to get the nitrites down. They are sky rocketing. Honestly, in 3-4 years in fishkeeping, I never tested anything but 0 for nitrites, but suddenly they are out of this world. The test water still tests 0, though. She seems to have a bacteria infection. The sick fish is actually a Pearl Gourami..

I have actually found that people have substituted the oils with success for fin rot.

9. Eienna

A gourami is still an anabantid.
    I would be more likely to use Furan-2 if you can get it; otherwise, Maracyn 2 (which you can combine with Maracyn 1 for results with both gram-positive and -negative infections)

10. OP
    OP
    fbn

I know. That's why I mentioned that it was a gourami :). I actually have some Maracyn 2 on hand. Thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice