Melaleuca Tea Tree Oil Important

1. JHBROWNE

JHBROWNE Valued Member Member

View attachment 438767

Does any one have experience using doTerra Melaleuca oil in their fresh water tanks to help with fish fungus? I have one little Cory who is missing his barbs, and has a cotton like growth on one of his fins....

55 gallon fully cycled tank all parameters are with in normal range 76 degrees, other fish seem fine...this one was very little possibly too young to be up for sale...

I don’t have a quarantine tank so I have separated him in a fry tank I have so he has access to food and surface air easily with some sand which I clean daily...

I was cleaning up his area with a sterile q-tip and was able to remove the fuzzy stuff from his fin and from the tank...He’s is alert and very active...
    IMG_1368.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1388.JPG

I have included the fact sheet for the Melaleuca it is a high end brand no random other additional chemicals...

I have read that people have had success with adding this to their tanks...

I’ve never had to treat a fungus before and am a bit scared of messing with the filters or doing something wrong....

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I’ve not found melaleuca to very effective at anything. It’s in all sorts of products. Supposed to be so good at treating fungal infections but never helped my dogs. Tried it with my guppies and it didn’t do a thing either. Kanaplex and metroplex worked on them. Then when hubby dumped three new guppies in with columnaris I ended up using the API general cure. Also melaleuca isn’t good for catfish. It’s not something I’d put in my aquarium. Just my opinion.

3. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

JHBROWNE Valued Member Member

Thank you...
    I opted not to don’t want to risk the wellbeing of my fin family...