Melafix, Pimafix And Protozin

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by hfish, Apr 11, 2017.

1. hfish

hfish New Member Member

Hi, unfortunately I've had an outbreak of white spot and fungus (white patches) both at the same time on my 6 shoal of Silver dollars in my 200l tank.
    I did a 25% water change last night, put the equivalent of 120l of aquarium salt in, then began day 1 of the melafix/pimafix treatment. However now I think for the white spot, as it's spread like wildfire, I need to use something stronger such as Waterlife's Protozin. I'm in the UK so the treatment range is limited.

Can I use melafix, Pimafix and Protozin at the same time?

Tank stats:
    200l
    6 small Silver dollars
    4 albino tiger barbs
    1 bristlenose pleco

Water stats:
    Amonia: trace
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrates: too high which probably caused this in the first place

2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Raise the temp id go 28c and airate well, and go with protozin, on its own is enough. Do you match temperatures when doing a water change?

3. OP
    OP
    hfish

hfish New Member Member

Thanks, and yes I try to match temperature as closely as possible. Do you think that was a cause? Do you think I need to do a water change before I begin using protozin as I have already put a dose of melafix and pimafix in the tank?

4. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

Hi,

If you're using salt anyway, you can use a combination of slowly raising the water temp to 30°C, and the salt to try and kill the ich, while still treating with Melafix and Pimafix. If that doesn't work, finish the Mela and Pimafix treatment first, then start with Protozin.

Just be sure to increase aeration, and watch for signs of stress, such as hiding, fin cal,ping, "gasping", etc.

5. OP
    OP
    hfish

hfish New Member Member

Thanks Lindsay, one silver dollar is in pretty bad shape, he's gasping for breath and is a little bloated. I initially thought he had dropsy which is why I jumped on the melafix and pimafix. It's difficult as I want to treat both the fungus and white spot.

6. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Do not raise the temperature too high. BN plecos should not undergo heat treatment.
    Find something available with the ingredient of Malachite Green such as ParaGuard by SeaChem.
    Use half the dosage because of your Pleco.

Another one is API General Cure.

7. OP
    OP
    hfish

hfish New Member Member

Thanks Herkimur

8. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Yh 28 is high enough, oxygen levels decrease, your filter bb needs to adjust aswell
    Protozin has malchite green in it and its worked well for me also in uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice