Melafix In Community Tank???

Puck44
Is it okay to put melafix in your community tank? Thanks!

CanadianFishFan
what fish are in there? What are you treating for?

Fanatic
Melafix is practically useless as a medication, it's just a mild smelling antidote for fungal infections that doesn't work very well.
You shouldn't be putting it in the tank unless there's a reason.

Puck44
As sick Cory

But will it harm fish that perfectly healthy?

EbiAqua
As sick Cory

But will it harm fish that perfectly healthy?

If you tell us your cory's symptoms we can recommend more effective methods for treating. Melafix is practically useless.

Puck44
If you tell us your cory's symptoms we can recommend more effective methods for treating. Melafix is practically useless.
Less active, going up to breath more often, lack of coloration on head kinda red and breathing heavier, we put in a pump so there would be more oxygen
Thanks!

EbiAqua
Less active, going up to breath more often, lack of coloration on head kinda red and breathing heavier, we put in a pump so there would be more oxygen
Thanks!

Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate reading? What about temperature, tank size, and the how long the tank has been established?

Puck44
Also he looks a little thinner than our false JulI Cory’s and he isn’t eating at least not much

sloughdog
For what it’s worth, we used Melafix and pimafix on a commercial level to prepare and clean holding tanks for fathead minnows, shiners, suckers and even trout. Using it effectively cut down on columnaris and other fungal and bacterial infections by 20-30% on average. That being said, I’m not sure it’s effectiveness on infection presenting itself (meaning there is physical signs of disease). We were treating prior to fish entering the tank and prior to any sign of disease.

Puck44
Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate reading? What about temperature, tank size, and the how long the tank has been established?
the tank has been running for almost 3 years around 80 degrees and nitrite between o and 0.5 and and nitrate was around 80 but we did a water change a few days ago and today so it’s lowering probably.

Just tested ammonia and looks like 0.75 yikes! What should we do?

For what it’s worth, we used Melafix and pimafix on a commercial level to prepare and clean holding tanks for fathead minnows, shiners, suckers and even trout. Using it effectively cut down on columnaris and other fungal and bacterial infections by 20-30% on average. That being said, I’m not sure it’s effectiveness on infection presenting itself (meaning there is physical signs of disease). We were treating prior to fish entering the tank and prior to any sign of disease.
Ok thanks!

Should we be doing another water change?

So, what should we do?

CanadianFishFan
do not use melafix on labyrinth breathing fish!

Puck44
do not use melafix on labyrinth breathing fish!
Ok, why and what are labyrinth breathing fish?

sloughdog
Labyrinth fish, in addition to being able to breathe using their gills, have a rudimentary lung-like organ that allows them to breathe atmospheric O2. This adaptation allows labyrinth fish to survive O2 depleted water or even situations where a lake dries to a puddle. Betta and gouramis are examples of labyrinth fish.
The reason melafix or certian other medications should be avoided with these fish is because it can leave an oily residue on the water surface or it creates too much surface tension that a labyrinth fish can not get atmospheric O2.

Brannor
The reason melafix or certian other medications should be avoided with these fish is because it can leave an oily residue on the water surface or it creates too much surface tension that a labyrinth fish can not get atmospheric O2.
I'm using Melafix in a community tank with 2 Dwarf Gourami. I believe that they are fine because my tank has a lot of water agitation. I see them taking breathes all over without any issues. (4 days into week-long treatment).
I do agree, that in a tank without decent agitation, any chemical that is oil based will probably cause labyrinth fish problems.

I'm not an expert, and if my DG die after/during this treatment, then it'll serve as evidence of the issue. I'm dosing roughly 25ml into a 55G tank daily about 30 minutes before the tank's dinner time.

-G

Jasmin Wilson
Question - I have 2 platies and 2 mollies. One of platy nibbed at other and looks like there is happening a fin rot on the tail. It is a mickey mouse platy having a fin rot. But the other platy and mollies are doing ok, Can I add melafix to the entire tank? Also, can I add food after I added melafix?

Wjd
I have a angle fish that has tail rot I have him with three pleco and two rainbow shark is it ok to treat the tank with melafix

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bacay6537
Replies
Views
Jomolager
Top Bottom