Melafix Dissolves Sponges?

WrenFeenix

Has anyone had issues with Melaxfix/Primafix breaking down filter sponges? I was using Melafix for 2-3 weeks to keep a superficial wound on my goldfish clean until it healed, and noticed that my sponges were starting to fall apart. After replacing 2 Aquaclear sponges, I'm certain that it was the Melafix. Some sponges seem to be unaffected, but others (especially coarser sponges) seem to break down much faster.

The only non-sponge-corrosive alternative I have is NaCl, but I don't like using salt too much since it seems to be really irritating to my fish.

BigManAquatics

Didn't realize essential oils were so destructive!

WrenFeenix

Didn't realize essential oils were so destructive!
I heard that citrus essential oils can cause severe sunburns!:eek:

Whatever chemical property the Indian Bay tree has, it can weaken certain kinds of plastic. The red tea I use in my betta tank has eaten away some of the filter sponge in a similar way. They just start to break apart. Doesn't seem to hurt the fish in any way, it just slowly destroys my filters.

BigManAquatics

I heard that citrus essential oils can cause severe sunburns!:eek:

Whatever chemical property the Indian Bay tree has, it can weaken certain kinds of plastic. The red tea I use in my betta tank has eaten away some of the filter sponge in a similar way. They just start to break apart. Doesn't seem to hurt the fish in any way, it just slowly destroys my filters.
Guess it really isn't a super surprise. Some of that is acidic in nature, which can definitely cause damage to man-made objects vs organic materials like flesh.

WrenFeenix

Guess it really isn't a super surprise. Some of that is acidic in nature, which can definitely cause damage to man-made objects vs organic materials like flesh.
Makes sense, since most bodily fluids/tissues are acidic to some degree. I think lye is alkaline, and lye is so caustic to animal tissue it's used as an alternative to cremation. Don't know what it does to plastic though.

I do have a huge piece of sponge that seems to be chemically resistant, so I'll switch to that once my current sponge bites it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
qldmick
Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views