MELAFIX ALERT FOR LABYRINTH FISH....ALL PLEASE READ

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The following fish should not have MELAFIX used at any time for any illness as it causes an interference with the Labyrinth organ and the ability to use it. 

Perch
Combtail
Ctenopia or Ctenopoma
Betta
Gourami
Paradisefish
Pencilfish

I realize that this article deals mostly with Bettas but if you read closely you will see that it mentions that it states that Melafix affects all fish with Labyrinth organs which are the fish listed above. 

If you have any of the above fish and are treating them with Melafix please do immediate 90% water changes and use carbon to remove all traces of the medication and switch to Bettafix if the fish needs continued medication or discontinue medication or notify us and we will try to come up with a suitable replacement for you to use that will not hurt your fish.

This information was just given to me through Butterfly and we posted it as soon as we could.  I do hope no one's pet is hurt by this.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is this posted in the disease section of the forum?

myfishskip

Reaction score
Do you know if Pimafix is ok to use I bought some to have in and I have a gourami
Thanks for the warning for Melafix.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There is a post for Pimafix stating that it contains Clove Oil. Since clove oil is what we use to euthanize fish sometimes, I do not feel comfortable recommending it for use in fish tanks since the direction specify that it be added for 7 days without a water change. I have seen it make fish very doped up in recommended use and for prolonged use, I am very afraid the fish could be harmed. It remains each fish owner's own decision as to whether to use it, since no formal warnings have been issued against its use, but I know I shall not recommend it to anyone and I will not be using it in my tanks.

Rose

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, I feel terrible. I'm a huge fan of Melafix. I wish I had known I was doing that to my poor gold gourami. I guess he's lucky to have always had a 55 gal home. I guess the Melafix is going to have to be a hospital tank only item from now on. It works so well. I've had resonding success with my Comet. He gets funky lesions of a (I believe) fungal nature. Anyway I thank you and my Gourami thank you for this insight.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So far as I know there were 2 bettas who died of complications of using Melafix and Pimafix. It was hard to tell which of the two actually did the damage but both died after being treated multiple times with the medications. The last few weeks of these fish's lives were not good. I really cannot state strongly enough that this is dangerous to fish with Labyrinth organs.

Rose

P5BDeluxe

Reaction score
Hmm my friends use melafix on thier betta but everthing its ok.They still survive

Fish Fry

Reaction score
what exactly is MELAFIX? I used it to treat a Columbian Shark that had white spots on its head. The shark died and so did a few rose bards.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish Fry said:
what exactly is MELAFIX? I used it to treat a Columbian Shark that had white spots on its head. The shark died and so did a few rose bards.
it's an herbal remedy, but it can create serious problems in the air-labyrinth of fish with them and kill them. Other fish it provides a soothing remedy to things such as ulcers, etc.

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have used Melafix for Eye cloud in Iridescent sharks and ulsers on a Comet, as well as for when someone bangs their head on a rock or they get in a fish spat. Seems to help nipped torn fins and other wounds to heal. Just don't use it on those poor Labrynth fishes. I still feel bad for the treatment or 2 my gourami had to endure when I didn't know better.

Melafix is melaleuca, or Ti tree (Tea tree) oil as it is often called. I have actually used it on myself (melaleuca) for wounds. It really works on humans anyway.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom