Megabeths 15g Brackish tank!

Megabeth

12/4/2020
Hi! I am going through the process of turning my 15 gallon tank brackish! I know on here there isn't nearly as much brackish threads as there are fresh and salt so I thought it might be helpful because at least for me in the beginning it was super hard to find stuff on brackish. It will house 1 figure 8 puffer and maybe some other things if the puffer allows. Today I got marine salt and a nice refractometer and tomorrow I'm taking the refractometer to my LFS to get it calibrated. Tomorrow I will also start mixing my first batch of salt. Im planning on adding .002 of salt per week. I want it to be at 1.005 in the end so I will hopefully get my water puppy in about a month. My tank is already cycled and today I also got some prazipro to deworm the puffer when I get it (I was so surprised my LFS had it, I thought I would have to get it on amazon!). I will soak the food in prazipro to hopefully get the meds right to the source as well as soak it in some garlic to try and entice the puffer to eat it. BTW I'm planning on feeding frozen shrimp that I will cut up, half shell mussels (or something like that) live bladder snails and brine shrimp or bloodworms as a treat. So come along this journey with me I'm sure it will be a fun and slightly confusing ride! (Also if you have puffer names let me know!)

Megabeth

12/5/2020
So a little setback, today i went to my LFS and they couldn't help me calibrate the refractometer so that sucks but don't worry it wasn't for nothing I also got some ADFs and more corys. Im getting a calibrating solution on Monday so that's probably when the next update is going to come. On Monday i will also make my first batch of slightly salty water and add it to the tank!
I have a question. If my tank isn't going to have anything producing ammonia in I for about a month wont my cycle crash? Do I need to get another brackish fish that can withstand the transition process of going from fresh to brackish? The only fish I can think of right off the top f my head is mollies but I have no idea if they would work.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

12/7/2020
Today i got my calibrating solution! I calibrated my refractometer and made the water. I added the water to the aquarium and it read at 1.001 sg! Woo hoo! Ok now that i kind of have the process down i think it will be much easier from here on out. It will still take quite awhile but i think it will definitely be worth it. I will post a pic of the tank in question tomorrow but be warned one decoration has tons of algae i cant get off. On Thursday im planning on upping the salinity another 1.001 to hopefully get to 1.002. See you then!

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

12/5/2020
So a little setback, today i went to my LFS and they couldn't help me calibrate the refractometer so that sucks but don't worry it wasn't for nothing I also got some ADFs and more corys. Im getting a calibrating solution on Monday so that's probably when the next update is going to come. On Monday i will also make my first batch of slightly salty water and add it to the tank!
I have a question. If my tank isn't going to have anything producing ammonia in I for about a month wont my cycle crash? Do I need to get another brackish fish that can withstand the transition process of going from fresh to brackish? The only fish I can think of right off the top f my head is mollies but I have no idea if they would work.
Haha, I went to my lfs for a test kit and when they didn't have it I walked out with shrimp.

To keep the cycle going, just feed the tank. Breaking down food will produce ammonia and feed your bacteria. Or you can dose straight ammonia, just the household kind.

12/7/2020
Today i got my calibrating solution! I calibrated my refractometer and made the water. I added the water to the aquarium and it read at 1.001 sg! Woo hoo! Ok now that i kind of have the process down i think it will be much easier from here on out. It will still take quite awhile but i think it will definitely be worth it. I will post a pic of the tank in question tomorrow but be warned one decoration has tons of algae i cant get off. On Thursday im planning on upping the salinity another 1.001 to hopefully get to 1.002. See you then!
Can't wait to see pics! I'm so interested in brackish tanks!

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Haha, I went to my lfs for a test kit and when they didn't have it I walked out with shrimp.

To keep the cycle going, just feed the tank. Breaking down food will produce ammonia and feed your bacteria. Or you can dose straight ammonia, just the household kind.

Can't wait to see pics! I'm so interested in brackish tanks!
Yup I'm currently feeding the tank because I dont have any ammonia but I finally got it calibrated. Finally. I will definitely show pics tomorrow. It's on a table in the living room so you can see through it. I think it looks pretty ok for the plants I had on hand that do ok in brackish water. I might also post pics of my new frog tank

Upvote 0

Megabeth

12/8/2020
Here are the pictures that i promised yesterday. The first one in the brackish tank and the second is my new ADF tank. You can actually see one of the little guys in the bottom right corner I have 3 frogs names Pickle, Beans and Sprout and something cool is that when Pickle goes up for air he does a backflip when he comes down. In the tank is also Pumpkin my mystery snail, you can see him in the top right corner. Anyways, I think the brackish tank is ok for the fact that all those plants came from my other tank and those are the only ones suitable for brackish. Hope you enjoy and if anyone has any tip for feed ADFs especially the pellets i would really appreciate it.
puffer tank.jpg
Frog tank.jpg

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Got my tank up to 1.002 today. I meant to do it yesterday but I was tired and it was late so it had to wait. If anyone is interested in an equation to get how much salt to add its how many liters you have times how many grams of salt for your desired sg (ex. 1 gram of salt per liter= 1.001 or 3 grams of salt per liter=1.003). So for example if you had a 15 gallon tank it would be about 57 liters and if you wanted your tank to be at 1.005 sg then you would do 57x5 to get 285g of salt. I also found out that one tablespoon is equal to about 20 grams of marine salt. I add 57g of salt every time I want my tank to go up 0.001. I hope this helps a little I hope its not that confusing Going up to 1.003 on Monday, almost there!

Upvote 0

aquachris

Got my tank up to 1.002 today. I meant to do it yesterday but I was tired and it was late so it had to wait. If anyone is interested in an equation to get how much salt to add its how many liters you have times how many grams of salt for your desired sg (ex. 1 gram of salt per liter= 1.001 or 3 grams of salt per liter=1.003). So for example if you had a 15 gallon tank it would be about 57 liters and if you wanted your tank to be at 1.005 sg then you would do 57x5 to get 285g of salt. I also found out that one tablespoon is equal to about 20 grams of marine salt. I add 57g of salt every time I want my tank to go up 0.001. I hope this helps a little I hope its not that confusing Going up to 1.003 on Monday, almost there!
It's a lot of fun trying to figure out how to raise the salinity to the desired levels (NOT!!!!).

Your fishless right now, right? So you can just plop in the salt and let it do its thing... So much easier LOL. I am usually doing this with fish trying to transition them from different levels of salt (doing it right now with some nerite snails).

Upvote 0

Megabeth

It's a lot of fun trying to figure out how to raise the salinity to the desired levels (NOT!!!!).

Your fishless right now, right? So you can just plop in the salt and let it do its thing... So much easier LOL. I am usually doing this with fish trying to transition them from different levels of salt (doing it right now with some nerite snails).
Yup totally fishless right now. My dad helped me with the math. Im not good at math so it was probably for the best.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Just took the tank up to 1.003. Everything looks good and hopefully next week we will be good to get a puffer. Do you guys think I could add any tankmates if the puffer allows? I have no idea what kind of fish or inverts can go in brackish so any advice or ideas welcome. Thursday the tanks going up to 1.004!

Upvote 0

aquachris

Get it with a couple bumblebee gobies. They usually seem to get along well. I've heard of people having luck with mollies (I currently have 2 mollies in my salt tank with my green spotted puffer).

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Get it with a couple bumblebee gobies. They usually seem to get along well. I've heard of people having luck with mollies (I currently have 2 mollies in my salt tank with my green spotted puffer).
Ok those sound cool. Should I get them at the same time or wait. Ideally if I got something that was fresh and brackish if the puffer didnt workout as a good tankmate I could move them to another tank.

Upvote 0

aquachris

If you go with the bumblebee gobies, they are almost always going to be fine with the f8. I really doubt you'd have any issues, and I would recommend at the same time (less territory issues that way).

Upvote 0

Megabeth

If you go with the bumblebee gobies, they are almost always going to be fine with the f8. I really doubt you'd have any issues, and I would recommend at the same time (less territory issues that way).
Ill have to see if my LFS has them but if they don't I can probably special order them.

Upvote 0

aquachris

Ill have to see if my LFS has them but if they don't I can probably special order them.
Most do if they have brackish... Hopefully they do, if not, they might be able to order you some.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Added more salt and the tanks now up to 1.004. On Monday we will finally be at 1.005. After that later that week I will probably do a water change then we will be all good. With whats available at stores near me I will get freeze-dried krill, frozen bloodworms, Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and live snails. Probably fast the puffer every Sunday with all my other fish and feed krill once a week and snails and frozen the rest of the week. Only going to feed once a day probably. I still have no idea what to name the puffer but I don't think I'm going to add anything with the puffer besides maybe inverts if there are any. I already have everything I need for the puffer besides krill and I decided to use prazipro for deworming. Soak the food in it then feed it to the puffer. Im going to try using seachems garlicgaurd to entice the puffer to eat it so hopefully it works. Snail colony is still going strong (I have so many snails!). Tell me if this is all good or if I should do something else!

Upvote 0

aquachris

Sounds like your on the right track.. I'll be curious what you name it, but my fish usually get named later after I have them with their personality if I name them.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

I'm curious about two things, both related to adding salt.
Did you have livestock in the tank already/What's the reason for the slow salinity increase?
And, how is your cycle holding up as you add the salt? Have you noticed any fluctuations in your parameters?

Upvote 0

Megabeth

I'm curious about two things, both related to adding salt.
Did you have livestock in the tank already/What's the reason for the slow salinity increase?
And, how is your cycle holding up as you add the salt? Have you noticed any fluctuations in your parameters?
Theres no livestock but the tank was previously an established freshwater tank. I was told to increase the salinity slowly as to not kill of the bb so I don't have t re do my cycle. As far as I can see my cycle is still perfect I checked it last night and there was no ammonia no nitrites and about 40 nitrates because I haven't done a water change yet. Im ghost feeding the tank to maintain the cycle. I'm not sure if it would be different with actual livestock but I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

I got the food today. The puffers diet will consist of frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp, live bladder snails and freeze dried shrimp. I hope the puffer likes them!

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Sorry i haven't updated in a while but I was on a vacation up to our cabin in the mountains. I got back home and the tank is now a perfect 1.005! Cycle seems to still be looking good and I'm planning on getting the puffer about a week from today. I also mashed some fresh garlic for medicating food and maybe for my other fish. Im planning on doing a water change this week so I guess next update I can share pics of the puffer!

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Exciting news! I just did a water change and in about 2 hours I'm going to leave to go get the puffer! If they don't have them or if they look sick I won get one but hopefully I can finally get one! Almost 3-4 months of planning and prepping but I can finally get the puffer! Ill add a picture if and when I get it.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Just checked my LFS and sadly they didn't have any left but they are getting more next week so hopefully then.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

Just checked my LFS and sadly they didn't have any left but they are getting more next week so hopefully then.
Oh man! I was so excited. Fingers crossed they'll have a few next week to pick from!

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Oh man! I was so excited. Fingers crossed they'll have a few next week to pick from!
Yeah I hope so! Luckly they said they are getting more in next week so I'm going down there next weekend to hopefully get one.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Man its been awhile! But exciting news! After almost 2 months i finally got him! He is currently acclimating and I will take picks once he's in the tank but one thing you should know first, I didn't keep a close enough eye on the brackish tank and the cycle crashed and its almost reestablished but for now he's going into a recently empty freshwater tank. At the store, he was in freshwater so not a really big deal. Anyways why it took so long to get this freaking fish. First of all my lfs puts in orders every 2 weeks. The first time they didn't order any, whoops, the second time the place they order them from didn't have any, the third time they got in 6 but they all died of ich and finally they got in 6 healthy ones. So yeah that took awhile. Oh yeah, and drumroll please his name is Ocho! He also has a smiley face on his butt. Ill post pics soon!
Here he is! Ocho! He is super shy but that's ok. In the past pick you can see the smiley face on his tail!

Attachments

• 16125834503797680717766474183071.jpg
    16125834503797680717766474183071.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 16125835992235980488903779740314.jpg
    16125835992235980488903779740314.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 23
  • 16125836449216396839410734195885.jpg
    16125836449216396839410734195885.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 21
Upvote 0

Megabeth

Small update- He still good today but he hasn't stopped glass surfing. Hopefully, he stops once he gets a little more used to his new home. I haven't seen him eat and he wont eat what I offer him but hopefully again he will eat once he is a little less stressed. He might have eaten a snail last night but I'm not sure. I also began deworming him last night. He doesn't seem like he has worms but just to be safe ill do one more treatment in a week.

Upvote 0

aquachris

Good luck with him! He's cute.. I'm sure it'll take him a bit to get used to everything and start munching away snails like there's no tomorrow

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Good luck with him! He's cute.. I'm sure it'll take him a bit to get used to everything and start munching away snails like there's no tomorrow
Hopefully he starts eating snails soon otherwise I'm going to have a bug snail problem. I added an airstone and a ping pong ball just in case his is bored but I think it might just take him a few days to destress.

Upvote 0

aquachris

Hopefully he starts eating snails soon otherwise I'm going to have a bug snail problem. I added an airstone and a ping pong ball just in case his is bored but I think it might just take him a few days to destress.
btw glass surfing is common for these guys... my GSP, my son's F8's glass surf a lot. I've grown to just accept it lol.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

btw glass surfing is common for these guys... my GSP, my son's F8's glass surf a lot. I've grown to just accept it lol.
Ok good to know! I just want to make sure he isnt bored or stressed

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Ocho has stopped glass surfing and explored the entire tank. He also does this cute thing where he will swim down by the air stone then he will let the bubbles push him up and he does this over and over and over. I still cant get him to eat but I've heard that deworming meds can make them not want to eat. Either way I'm going to try bloodworms and soaking food in garlic tonight to hopefully get him to eat.

Upvote 0

Megabeth

Brackish tank has finished cycling! I plan on moving him tonight just waiting for the water to clear up after a water change. He is eating snails but I cant get him to eat anything else. I have freeze dried shrimp and frozen blood worms/brine shrimp but he only eats the snails. I have a good population of snails going but they wont last forever and I don't know what to do. But overall everything is good!
I transferred him to the brackish tank but he keeps bumping into the glass and it seems that he has a small thing on his nose from where is rubbing the glass what should I do?

Upvote 0

Megabeth

He seems very happy today i saw him eat many snails. He explored the entire tank and is once again riding the bubbles. I have one question, how will I know when his teeth are too long? I read up on trimming teeth and plan on getting finquil for when the time comes but I have no idea what it looks like when his teeth are too long.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

He seems very happy today i saw him eat many snails. He explored the entire tank and is once again riding the bubbles. I have one question, how will I know when his teeth are too long? I read up on trimming teeth and plan on getting finquil for when the time comes but I have no idea what it looks like when his teeth are too long.
You'll know, they'll be visibly poking past their lips. Fortunately figure 8s have slow growing teeth so it's not a common issue for them.

Upvote 0

Fishproblem

so excited you finally got him and he's settling in! can you post pics?

Upvote 0

Megabeth

so excited you finally got him and he's settling in! can you post pics?
I believe there are some pics a little ways up. He is eating shrimp now like human shrimp and he loves it lol. Here's a video of him playing in the bubbles lol hes awesome. Hes about 2 in right now so hopefully he will get a little bit bigger

Attachments

• 20210207_144917_2_1.gif
    20210207_144917_2_1.gif
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Fishfriendof315

Nice progress . I'm in the process of setting up a 75G for my girl Buffy. Aquariums coming this weekend. I'm stoked!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megabeth
  • Question
Replies
Views
RaqThar
  • Question
Replies