Mega clown pleco

Meg123P

Hello, I would like to know if anyone here has kept or keeps a mega clown pleco. I was searching for small size pleco and I found them. Can I keep them without high/medium flow in my aquarium? If you have one of these I would like to see a picture! Is there anything I need to know about them?

Kribensis27

Ive never even heard of one of these. Cool, I’ll be watching this thread!

AcornTheBetta

Meg123P said:
Hello, I would like to know if anyone here has kept or keeps a mega clown pleco. I was searching for small size pleco and I found them. Can I keep them without high/medium flow in my aquarium? If you have one of these I would like to see a picture! Is there anything I need to know about them?
Interesting... That is a very rare pleco...

Betta'sAnonymous

Looks like they are also called Imperial Tiger plecos...pretty cool looking fish they are!

chromedome52

Here's the Planetcatfish page on . Looks like a typical Clown Pleco - they are all small - just with some cool markings. Clowns do not require a heavy current, but they do like wood and rock for hiding places. Warmer water species.

Meg123P

AcornTheBetta said:
I hope they're not too rare so that I could possibly get one... They're not that expensive from what I saw on some sites so they are probably not that rare
chromedome52 said:
Here's the Planetcatfish page on . Looks like a typical Clown Pleco - they are all small - just with some cool markings. Clowns do not require a heavy current, but they do like wood and rock for hiding places. Warmer water species.
I am glad to know they don't need heavy current! I think they look even better than regular clown plecos, I will do more research on them. I think they like blackwater environment from what I have seen wich is a plus for me because I would love to turn my tank in a biotope type of setup soon this year. I am considering getting this specie, a bristlenose pleco or one or two red lizard whiptail. Idk what I should do

Nobody

I have a normal clown pleco. They are very shy and don't really like daylight, you won't see them during the day except for them peeping out of their nest. They are pretty territorial as well and don't like other fish going near their nesting spot.

DoubleDutch

chromedome52 said:
I like to add that the Panaquolus Maccus, which is called Clown pleco as well, needs wood to feed on. Just to prevent mix ups and a mix up on needs.

jake37

Not rare. Commonly available.

AcornTheBetta said:

Meg123P

Nobody said:
I have a normal clown pleco. They are very shy and don't really like daylight, you won't see them during the day except for them peeping out of their nest. They are pretty territorial as well and don't like other fish going near their nesting spot.
Oh ok, I don't want a very territorial pleco because I have corydoras... I will search for other species I think

jake37

I wouldn't worry about mixing clown pleco (or mega clown pleco) with cory. Their territory (or at least mine) is tiny. Most pleco are a little aggressive about certain things - for example bn pleco can be extremely aggressive when it comes to food and i had one try to steal food from any and all fishes - well until one of them put a fight up and then she was a bit more cautious about taking other fishes food.

Meg123P said:
Oh ok, I don't want a very territorial pleco because I have corydoras... I will search for other species I think

Dennis57

The mega clown pleco is absolutely beautiful and I would love to get 1.

Yes they are very rare, and when someone does get any in they are gone in a heart beat.

I've actually spoken to 2 different wholesalers at a LFS about them and they said good luck.

jake37

Here you go - though this one is a bit more expensive than the ones i was seeing earlier in the year:

Dennis57 said:

Yes they are very rare, and when someone does get any in they are gone in a heart beat.

I've actually spoken to 2 different wholesalers at a LFS about them and they said good luck.

Meg123P

jake37 said:
I wouldn't worry about mixing clown pleco (or mega clown pleco) with cory. Their territory (or at least mine) is tiny. Most pleco are a little aggressive about certain things - for example bn pleco can be extremely aggressive when it comes to food and i had one try to steal food from any and all fishes - well until one of them put a fight up and then she was a bit more cautious about taking other fishes food.
Ok good! Do you see yours often?
Dennis57 said:

Probably depends on were you live. I talked to LFS owners yesterday on facebook and they have them and they're pretty cheap (20$)

jake37

Not as often as i would like but i know where his cave is located and if i get a shrimp pellet or other food right next to the cave he will come out to eat it.

Meg123P said:
Ok good! Do you see yours often?

AcornTheBetta

jake37 said:
Not rare. Commonly available.
I'm talking about the L340 Mega Clown Pleco. Not a normal clown pleco which is easy to find

jake37

I know what you are talking about. If you follow the link i provided for Dennis57 it would be obvious.

AcornTheBetta said:
I'm talking about the L340 Mega Clown Pleco. Not a normal clown pleco which is easy to find

CHJ

I have considered L340s when they are at the LFS. I usually figure I'll get queen arabesque instead at some point.
IIRC they are ~50$ when they come in.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom