Meet the newest member of our family!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Squeeeeee! They finally had rubber lip plecos at Petsmart today! I've been looking for one to possibly take the place of my common once I find him a home. He's being acclimated at the moment and will get to hang out in one of the fry tanks for a few weeks. I'm so excited, he/she is so pretty and active!

Attachments

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wow I am surprised that you found him at pet smart. Did they order him special for you? now you need to come up with a neat name for you little beauty. Big congrats.Alison

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Didn't special order him or anything, they had maybe a dozen of them in a tank, first time I've seen them carried here. I was soooooo excited! I actually went there to rescue the last 3 pea sized blue mystery snails that they had (got the other 3 yesterday), since my other two didn't make it, was wandering and looking at the tiny bns thinking "I should get one of these guys in qt to take the place of Spelunk. Looked over and OMG THEY HAVE RUBBER LIPS! Lol. I'll moody likely end up with both him and a bn, one in the 40 and one in the 55 grow out tank.

Cate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love those little guys... they remind me of some prehistoric fish that didn't get the evolution email. I've had a couple and they are prone to ich, so keep them warm. They are also easy to spoil, so have fun!

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My little guy is getting a little less skittish finally, he at least will stay on the front glass when I walk past the tank instead of going ballistic, lol, so that's progress.

I haven't seen him eat anything though. ....I'm getting a bit worried tbh.....we've tried catfish wafers, shrimp pellets, zucchini, green beans, algae wafers (he looked all excited when these went in but I never actually saw him eat any), nls pellets, omega one pellets. .....literally, everything I have in my house that sinks or can be anchored has been tried. He shares his tank with snails so it's not like the food that goes in remains untouched for long :/

He looks a bit skinny, I need the little booger to eat something already!

Anyone have suggestions on what else to try?

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just have to say he looks awesome. I love the rubber lip plecos. Just don't have the room for one. Plus don't they like cool water?
Most everything I've read on them says between 72-78 should be OK, his tank sits at around 75-76 right now, so I think he should be fine.
What about frozen bloodworms or soaking some of the food in garlic?
I haven't tried garlic but I'm slightly reactive to bloodworms so I don't use them. I attached some bruised fresh spinach to the tank wall late last night since he seems to be mostly on the glass, I'm hoping he'll find that.

I'll let you guys know if I can get him to eat! I'm guessing there was algae where he came from because he looks on the glass for food, unfortunately I can't get algae to grow to save my life, lol.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Most everything I've read on them says between 72-78 should be OK, his tank sits at around 75-76 right now, so I think he should be fine.
app
Oh yeah sorry I absolutely didn't mean you were keeping him in too warm of water. All of my thoughts didn't make it to my text. My tanks stay around 79-80 because in the summer months here in the south it's impossible to keep it any cooler.

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No need to apologize, I'm welcome to any suggestions you guys might have! I have the same problems with temp here, this little guy actually was moved to this particular tank because it stays the coolest (it's in the ac path) so I figured it would be better than my 40g that didn't go below 78 all summer. He's in a 55g btw.

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I saw him poop, just a little bit but I suppose that means he's at least eaten SOMETHING in the last week. Sigh......we'll keep trying. Going to pick up some seaweed sheets tomorrow and see if he'll eat those.
I'll also get a small piece of driftwood since it occurred to me that he doesn't have any and it might help his tummy.

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The things you never expect to hear...
Right?!? I can't even get it to grow on rocks in my window, lol. I see all these posts with complaints about algae and I'm jealous! I even have a tank that gets natural sunlight most of the day. ....nothing. ...

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Right?!? I can't even get it to grow on rocks in my window, lol. I see all these posts with complaints about algae and I'm jealous! I even have a tank that gets natural sunlight most of the day. ....nothing. ...
I think it's your army of snails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom