Meet the nerite snails!

pinkfloydpuffer
I thought I'd introduce y'all to my 3 snail buddies. I've had them for quite a while actually, but I was just making sure they'd stay alive and not become puff food. But they're still here!
They're nerite snails... I can't believe I'd never heard of these guys before, they're like the perfect snail. They can adapt to any salinity, they eat algae like madmen, and my puffers can't eat them! You heard me right-Garth and StachI were finally unsuccessful at eating a snail.
I like to watch them eat.... they have these two teeth things that look like fangs, it's hilarious. They're like vampire snails!
So basically, I feel like these guys are a well-kept secret, so now the cat's outta the bag!
I'm working on names for my 3 snails... two are brown and one is dark brown/blackish...

CoryMac
those are pretty cool snails adaptable & PUFFER proof..sweet

SWilkins
And to think I thought you only got snails for puffer food. I have a question for you. I see that you have plants in there with your snails...are the snails eating them at all? Sorry for the hijack.

pinkfloydpuffer
I was sure they were dead a few times, but then I pull them out and they stick their little heads out of deep in their shells! LOL
I have the nerites, ramshorns, pond snails, and MTS, and none of them eat my plants

SWilkins
Oh thank you Fish Master Pink. I bow at your feet!!! That is a wonderful thing to hear. I so like the look of some of the snails but I also like my plants and would like to keep them.

pinkfloydpuffer
Lol! Make sure there's some tasties for the snails and they'll probably leave all the plants alone.

SWilkins
Oh and back off to Ebay I go again!!! Hee hee. There are way too many wonderful things for us on there. I am pretty sure you already know this but they have some pretty good deals on lots of snails mainly for fish food.

pinkfloydpuffer
Hm... my puffs may be digging into my wallet again
I just barely bought a boxful of hamster tubes for these guys! What more can they ask for?!?! ;D

SWilkins
LOL Yep my fish, shrimp, and plants really dig into my wallet a lot lately. I guess the snails will get my wallet next. But I know where to send them if I get overloaded that is for sure. Of course my hubby is just as bad as I am and we have a really bad case of MTS.

namehater
pinkfloydpuffer said:
Hm... my puffs may be digging into my wallet again
I just barely bought a boxful of hamster tubes for these guys! What more can they ask for?!?! ;D
ya hamster tubes can be... wait, why are we talking about hamster tubes?

pinkfloydpuffer
Sherry_Wilkins said:
LOL Yep my fish, shrimp, and plants really dig into my wallet a lot lately. I guess the snails will get my wallet next. But I know where to send them if I get overloaded that is for sure. Of course my hubby is just as bad as I am and we have a really bad case of MTS.
I'm always happy to take any extra snails of any type ;D

namehater said:
ya hamster tubes can be... wait, why are we talking about hamster tubes?
LOL! Hamster tubes make great playgrounds for puffers

namehater
ah clever! your gonna have to explain your love of puffers to me someday. I'm going to have an empty 14g soon...

pinkfloydpuffer
SWilkins
Weelllll maybe we got off topic just a bit. Sorry for any confusion. Back to the nerites

pinkfloydpuffer
Sherry_Wilkins said:
Weelllll maybe we got off topic just a bit. Sorry for any confusion. Back to the nerites
Any thread that has me involved inevitably goes off topic in some way or other

SWilkins
At least it is always informative and interesting!!! I gotta say I am so glad I found this forum. I have really learned a lot and I am really hoping to meet others with MTS/fi****is or whatever name they call it today.

Oh not a cuss word!!!! fish-itis. YIPES

pinkfloydpuffer
Sherry_Wilkins said:
Oh not a cuss word!!!! fish-itis. YIPES

Well, you've certainly come to the right place to find others with "fish-itis"!

SWilkins
They have all other kinds of "itises" might as well be fish. We could all have a much worse "itis". I did not want to get kicked out for bad language it was not done on purpose. I may have to do a puffer tank next so I know where to come for info.

pinkfloydpuffer
Just mention puffers and I'll be right there with tail a-waggin!
If I had a tail that is....

SWilkins
Well my hubby has been checking out another 55 gallon and I was trying to figure out what to put in it...sounds like a plan to me. They look very interesting. Plus I always get those little hitch hiker teensy weeney snails on plants...you know the ones.

pinkfloydpuffer
They make lovely puffer food
And with a 55 you have lots of puffer options. FW, brackish, and Saltwater ;D

SWilkins
I like Freshwater and do some brackish but have never done SW. Now I have to do some searching and see which ones I like. Oh boy another project. Whoohoo

pinkfloydpuffer
I love fish projects! Lemme know if you have any puffer questions!

SWilkins
Will do. Thanks. Of course I will have to do a little reading on the different types first. Oh and I better let hubby get the tank so I can set it up and get it cycled. Can't get too far ahead of myself.

pinkfloydpuffer
SWilkins
x I will be checking these out and I am sure you will be hearing back from me.

pinkfloydpuffer
I'll be looking forward to it ;D

namehater
why do you like puffers so much PFP? I have to admit, they are **** cute, but how are their personalities? in a 14g could they be kept with any other fish species?

pinkfloydpuffer
They have more personality than any other fish I've ever encountered! And they're so smart too!!! They're the reason I started and continue to keep fish, I could never be without them
In a 14g you could get away with 3 dwarf puffers and a few otos, but that's about it as far as puffer/other fish combos go.

namehater
I might have to consider that. I was going to make the 14g a quarantine, but I could find a 10 gallon for that.

I have a 29 gallon empty as well, how would you stock that with puffers?

what kind of landscaping do puffers like?

pinkfloydpuffer
Oooh, a 29g!!!
Hm.... it'd be either another GSP or I'd make it Saltwater and get a toby.... there are lots of options though

They like lots of decor to explore and play with. Lots of plants/rocks/caves/whatever. (hence the hamster tubes)

SWilkins
An empty tank...I thought that was against some kind of fish rule!!!

pinkfloydpuffer
Don't tell anyone... but I have an empty 20 gallon right now... well, it's not empty, but it has no fish...

SWilkins
I'll keep your secret. I have a 29 gallon that has water in it and a goldfish and it is almost done cycling. Don't tell about the goldfish but they are only my friends for cycling otherwise they are just mess makers IMO.

pinkfloydpuffer

I've never had goldfish.... I have enough messy fish, thank you

bettafish2816
pinkfloydpuffer said:
Don't tell anyone... but I have an empty 20 gallon right now... well, it's not empty, but it has no fish...
Pink!!!!!! What is this blasphemy?!?! That tank had better be cycling....

pinkfloydpuffer
agabr123 said:
Pink!!!!!! What is this blasphemy?!?! That tank had better be cycling....
It's currently undergoing erythromycin treatments to kill off the cyanobacteria, and there's a good possibility that will kill of the good bacteria as well, so, we'll say it's cycling

bettafish2816
pinkfloydpuffer said:
It's currently undergoing erythromycin treatments to kill off the cyanobacteria, and there's a good possibility that will kill of the good bacteria as well, so, we'll say it's cycling
Well alright then, I guess that's acceptable, lol

namehater
you so got busted....

I don't think I'm ready to invest in saltwater yet

my tanks aren't technically empty either.. they are just waiting to start cycling, I even run the lights on em just so I can pretend there are fish in them!

SWilkins
pinkfloydpuffer said:
I've never had goldfish.... I have enough messy fish, thank you
Well this goldfish lives in my QT tank. I just have one. I really don't care for them myself. I just think this one is going to live forever just so I can clean up after him. I have had enough of the mess makers when I had Oscars and Red Bellied Pacos (sp?)...oh and the huge plecos that I just took to my LFS and did some trading.

pinkfloydpuffer
agabr123 said:
Well alright then, I guess that's acceptable, lol

namehater said:
you so got busted....

I don't think I'm ready to invest in saltwater yet

my tanks aren't technically empty either.. they are just waiting to start cycling, I even run the lights on em just so I can pretend there are fish in them!
Lol!
Hehe, don't run the lights too long, or you'll get some little brown/green algae friends
I want to start a SW, but I'm not having luck finding the right size tank or finding the $ for LR

Sherry_Wilkins said:
Well this goldfish lives in my QT tank. I just have one. I really don't care for them myself. I just think this one is going to live forever just so I can clean up after him. I have had enough of the mess makers when I had Oscars and Red Bellied Pacos (sp?)...oh and the huge plecos that I just took to my LFS and did some trading.
Hehe, he will live forever, just cause you said that

SWilkins
Yeah I kinda figured he would but he does a good job cycling things for me so I gotta give him credit for that.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom