Meet The Fish...

• Thread starter Ulu
  • Start date

Ulu

Well Known
I thought I would take the time to post up some photos of our current fish.

Right now Felix the Lemon Oscar is the prize. He's been with us for one month. None of my fish are very rare or interesting, but I have had common tropical fish for 45 years and this is my first Oscar.
f30e456eea9a38ab3f384160889b7610.jpg

This guy is like a chameleon and he changes from muddy dun to green & yellow, and back, quite frequently.

fb0958a14c3048db37c8d64e4a285c0e.jpg

He is now kept in a 30 tall, which I'm sure made him very happy compared to the 10 gallon tank he was in last month at the local Pet Supplies+ store.

Bob the silver dollar previously resided in the 30 tall. He was over 14 years old, and unfortunately he passed away after I moved him over to our new 55 gallon tank.

19681ab9cd67a426e9e0b0f6251e3d3d.jpg

I had 30 tiny community fish in that 30 gallon tank 14 years ago, and the silver dollars outlasted every other fish. 5 of them live to be over 10 years old.

This is Big Morton, a common plecostomus with a crooked tail. He graduated from a 10 to a 30, and is now living in the 55.

db2ceb55f51e5ce5ff1cdb9b1200a45e.jpg

6c4b798016ff8b0a1fd8cde6a01d8f37.jpg

Those photos were taken 3 months ago in the 30 tall, and he has grown somewhat.

This is Bella the koI angelfish. I don't know much about these but I bought five small ones for my 30-gallon tank after I moved everyone to the 55.

e3e434c89b75a606d95f2ba804e903ad.jpg

I think the competition might have been too much for them, or they were particularly weak fish. I have kept angels as long as five years before, but these passed away quickly with no overt signs of illness.

They were eating well, and had no obvious parasites. I did not open them up to look for internal parasites but I guess that's possibly what killed them, or maybe just inferior genes. I set that tank aside for resealing, and bought a new 30 tall which houses Felix.

This is Baby Morton, who is getting so big he will soon lose his spots.

8422a58f5b97d5566134323eb932aceb.jpg

This is Betta Boy my newest betta. He's only been with us for about two weeks. He currently lives in the 55.

95abb18b226399b42e6f1fc5dd2170ae.jpg
I will soon move Felix to the 55 where he will live with big Morton and a few Cory cats. ]

Attachments

Ulu

Well Known
This is Betta Beta, just a common beta. He's been with us about 8 weeks. He lives in a 16 bowfront.

f7420cbfcb7e8332b5d601f5fbe908af.jpg

A lot of neon tetras. Betta Boy chases these around the tank, but he doesn't seem to catch them.
b0f1a405640066a3bf4dc00b78d3cbda.jpg

There's Baby Morton and Betta Alpha
83cda65651674b16a479dd8b7c140d57.jpg

This was Bob right after I put him in the 55. I didn't cycle this tank at all.
I just took everything out of my 30 tall & put it in there and added water.
4d202f3d193a86d85697c3bc76209d37.jpg

He was old and had scars but he didn't have any obvious parasites. I think the stress of moving was just too much.

Mmmmm....zucchini!
a9108be33b5a9d5caab44451db336e04.jpg

This is Felix shortly after I bought him, chowing down on a worm.
29c1475a5e86da35867ee69cfa8a6a3c.jpg

Betta Beta runs the herd of 8 serpae tetra and 3 Cory cats in the 16.

c714eaf9f38f756fd73c5e8f2ba239bd.jpg

Pepper the baby pleco hides out in her house in the 16.
dc02bb1e3cc5919dea1542319840b21e.jpg

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Lovely fish. Thanks for sharing. Not many people can say they kept a silver dollar for over 14 yrs! As far as pics go, it’s alright. I think most people browse on their phones anyway. Nothing beats DSLR though.

Ulu

Well Known
You're welcome. As for the silver dollars, old owner....old fish....
I am amazed that I bought 6 of those fish and 5 of them lived over 10 years. One lived less than a year, but 3 lived over 13 years, with Old Bob the Granddaddy.

Experienced fishkeepers will find much to criticize in my setups, as I do myself. My 3 running tanks are all naturally cycled, by seeding them all from a 30 gal tank we ran over 14 years.

But they are all experimental setups, and thus all works in progress.

All 3 use a partial-bottom reverse powered under-gravel filter with various substrates, to constantly blow the dung upward. The 16 has also an ordinary HOB filter, slightly modified, to skI'm it out.

The 30 tall has a DIY 8 gal sump with $20 pond pump to feed the under-gravel, drawing 100+ gph through the weir. I'll post more about that later.

The 55 is my newest. The reverse under-gravel feeds from a powerhead hidden under the rocks, which draws from a DIY skimmer. It also currently has 4 DIY canisters in the tank, all air-lift. 3 of them are mainly aging various media for a future tank not yet purchased, and for my old 30 tall

It is currently half-scraped & waiting a new silicone job. 15 years of continuous operation had almost "aged" the silicone right thru!

BTW, If you think Bob might have been female, It is possible. I never bred them, nor attempted to. With those 6" fish in a 30 with a 9" pleco, it was crowded. I was changing a lot of water, but I moan that they all might have lived longer had I bought a bigger tank for them.

Unfortunately, up until my recent retirement, & subsequent eye surgery, I was having a lot of trouble seeing to do things, and just driving and working at the office became too much. In those days I basically let the tanks go too long, and lost fish. I had one old hunchbacked Rio Tetra that had been with us for nearly 10 years. Even with just him and a tiny pleco in a 10, I still didn't keep up enough, and lost him.

My eyesight is much better now, and being happily retired, I have been able to improve my fishkeeping. I've never kept 3 tanks at once before, and I still have the 30 I'm repairing plus a new 10, to fill.

I am also planning some larger tanks, but more about that later.

Ulu

Well Known
Here's a pic of Felix the Oscar having a nice night crawler for breakfast.
c13cc11234eda66afce6b0cedef525ba.jpg

The gash on his forehead is healing up nicely.

I've been feeding him HikarI gold cichlid pellets, blood worms, and frozen brine shrimp. I also feed him red worms and small nightcrawlers, but I quit feeding him mealworms because he was probably getting constipated. He likes crickets but they are stinky and I don't like to keep them in the house.

He really doesn't care much for the brine shrimp, but any kind of worm or insect he is on like lightning! He eats his pellets, but if I give him too many he will just spit it out and wait around for his worm.

FEED ME! . . . says Felix.

2c8fb5a676e6dfa3de7b20a67d0dc275.jpg

This thing has a mouth like a pelican, with teeth in the throat, and he can simultaneously eat one worm and hold another one in reserve.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Ulu said:
Here's a pic of Felix the Oscar having a nice night crawler for breakfast.
c13cc11234eda66afce6b0cedef525ba.jpg

The gash on his forehead is healing up nicely.

I've been feeding him HikarI gold cichlid pellets, blood worms, and frozen brine shrimp. I also feed him red worms and small nightcrawlers, but I quit feeding him mealworms because he was probably getting constipated. He likes crickets but they are stinky and I don't like to keep them in the house.

He really doesn't care much for the brine shrimp, but any kind of worm or insect he is on like lightning! He eats his pellets, but if I give him too many he will just spit it out and wait around for his worm.
Maybe you can try some crawfish/crayfish if you can get any. Next best thing would be a bag of frozen uncooked shrimp. I agree about the crickets. I used to raise them for my reptiles. Foul smelling things.

Ulu

Well Known
I can get crayfish here at the bait store, but first I will try to feed him some peeled shrimp.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
The food you’re feeding him is appropriate. A common misconception a lot of people make is that they assume oscars are piscivores (mainly fish eaters), but in the wild they feed primarily on insects and crustaceans. But it looks like you’ve might of already done some research on that.

Ulu

Well Known
Yes he is definitely a bug eater, and from my experience all bass love crawdads (and all crawdads hate Bass.) I tried to feed him raw cod fish and he turned up his nose. He really expects his food to be alive.

I'm trying to decide if I should raise live food to feed him myself, because he's going to get big and very hungry. I've only considered making a worm farm so far, and I haven't tried raising crayfish since I was about 12, but it sounds interesting.

Ulu

Well Known
All my fish are hiding today.

Yesterday I graduated Felix the Oscar up to the 55 gallon tank along with Big Morton the pleco, who has been living there 2 mos now. There was a fight right away but they went to neutral corners and I think we have established detante. This was only one step in moving almost all of my fish around in my three tanks plus a temporary 10 gallon acclimation tank.

This pretty much took the entire day and then we went out and celebrated the new year.

Felix the Oscar is still recovering from the trauma of capture and release.

He took a few scars in the process because I was too stupid to take the rocks out of his tank before trying to catch him. I've never sedated a fish before but I probably should have tried it this time.

Anyhow, he has sucked down a couple of nice little nightcrawlers, and is feeling better, but Morton seems to be upset and is not eating his zucchinI today.

Our sole remaining neon tetra from the 55 has gone to the 16, and baby Morton the pleco has gone from the 55 into the 30 tall along with Betta Boy.

The 8 Serpae Tetra I have moved from the 16 to the 30, leaving pepper the tiny Pleco and Betta Beta behind.

So the final Fallout from all of this is:

Tank one:
ed307ed8dd7aaa2f4f25416b0f557c9c.jpg

one 5" Lemon Oscar
one 9" Common Pleco

Housed in a 55 long with 2 large DIY airlift cans on 2 Whisper 60's; a 4" skimmer feeding partial reverse undergravel by 150gph powerhead
one 2-liter canister with 150 gph powerhead and air stone plus an Aqueon 75 hang-on as temp portable filter, only used after major tank shakeups like yesterday.

Total actual circulation is undetermined. Probably over 100gph.

Tank 2:
9ae07f84329988cbe53c4facb35a55ad.jpg

8 Serpae Tetras
1 Halfmoon Betta
1 common 5" Pleco

Housed in a 30 tall with DIY 7.5 gal 4-stage sump system. 200gph pond pump feeds partial reverse undergravel. Large dual airpump feeding airstones in tank and sump.
Actual circulation ~ 75 gph.

EDIT .... I tested this and the actual circulation is almost 3 gallons a minute or nearly 180 gallons per hour.

Tank 3:
893134649e66c2d0202779be9ccdab29.jpg

One large Neon Tetra
one Crowntail Betta
one 4" common Pleco
4 Corydoras Aeneus

Housed in a 16 gallon Aqueon bowfront, with Aqueon 10 HOB, and full undergravel filter (not reverse flow) on Whisper 60 double air pump.

Total flow: not nearly enough, and I messed the tank up by giving pepper a chunk of unnecessary zucchini, which she promptly mooshed all over.

Photo 4/7 above shows the 16 before I took the Serpae out. I have some double photos posted above, and for some reason I'm not able to edit them off of my post.

Attachments

Ulu

Well Known
Still having trouble with this photo rotation business on my smartphone

98e459968b31978daed7d27ecf8fa33a.jpg
Hey this one looks better I think I finally figured it out.

I put a plastic downspout adapter into the 55 as a hidey-hole for Morton the pleco, but Felix guards the opening and doesn't let him go in there.

0f8e294301da2811e2c165ad883d1c28.jpg

d09549337b4b288abbbea7171b0365a9.jpg

d5fdbe7e91d238387fbb8dc4a746cc48.jpg

Attachments

Ulu

Well Known
I just realized that in this photo you can see all three of my running aquariums at once. Unfortunately the house wasn't particularly tidy when I took this.

3ab22c7c7ba18cd9ce938d679b7740b7.jpg

Evidently we were putting up Christmas lights.

I counted 11 bones on the dorsal fins of the little Plecos, and as it turns out they are both "Sailfin" plecos.

Well for whatever that's worth. I really have no idea the exact classifications for most of these fish. Someone here, I don't recall who, intimated that my lemon Oscar may be something other than a lemon Oscar, and having looked at some pictures on the internet of lemon Oscars, I am not certain.

This is Baby Morton

6fa046694404c552d42053c3ee822b5e.jpg

And here is Pepper

6b44b496c1bfd8a1f622d26fe630c651.jpg

Here is Big Morton

b41c6eb86ba9183a4763f82adf5e39f1.jpg

Or do I have it backwards? Is Big Morton the Sailfin? His fin looks a lot longer but then again he is much more mature than my other Plecos.

ec88a6f46103c98a84524a2dbe618c5a.jpg

Poor Bob the fish. He was almost 15 when he passed away. I miss him because he was with us such a long time.

It seems kind of stupid that people could miss a pet fish.

Albifrons

Well Known
Ulu said:
I counted 11 bones on the pectoral fins of the little Plecos, and as it turns out they are both "Sailfin" plecos.

Well for whatever that's worth. I really have no idea the exact classifications for most of these fish. Someone here, I don't recall who, intimated that my lemon Oscar may be something other than a lemon Oscar, and having looked at some pictures on the internet of lemon Oscars, I am not certain.
Could he be a wild type or possibly a red? I guess you might be able to tell once he matures a bit more.

Oh and great looking tanks by the way, I really like them!

Ulu

Well Known
Thank you. I'm going to post some more pictures here, since I bought a bunch of live plants for the 30 and moved the fake plants in with my Oscar. In this photo it still has all the fake plants but you can see my little black Fish Hut if you look really close.
e9db35f3707a664fe3ff6e5eb74bd6a1.jpg

It's in the lower left back and almost impossible to see, made from an empty activated carbon jar.)

The little floating green ring of air tubing keeps the bubbles from going into my siphon.

cb575ee6bd17243249f968ea2f068373.jpg

I started working on this 10 gallon tank that's going to have an experimental grow sponge trickle filter emerging from the water.

This is actually going to be my quarantine tank for a while.

20f3edd0ed7e1f36a498389796690550.jpg

b5c6c281cf8b45aa8187bb2de84db7d0.jpg

Ulu

Well Known
Albifrons said:
Could he be a wild type or possibly a red? I guess you might be able to tell once he matures a bit more.
I really don't have a clue about Oscars as this is my very first. All I know is the sign of his tank said "Lemon Oscar $15" and I fell in love.

fa8a47413c1c881b7ec5adcf48cf19b6.jpg

60c93b4aaa3128604321753716f566f6.jpg

8d2e7e78e47f45c569f644f3cf61c7aa.jpg

There's little Pepper showing off his fins, and one of those little Corey guys.

59e02853a26036d2b8a19627c43ac0a9.jpg

Baby Morton has been fattening up on zucchini.

Albifrons

Well Known

Ulu

Well Known
Felix
2a30be63f39dcf22b9118b0921cf1c52.jpg

In last picture you can see my homemade skimmer and all my homemade canister filters (but you cannot see the reverse flow undergravel which is directly attached to the bottom of the skimmer standpipe.)

7527524ee12a971cef4e6ee54202e9b4.jpg

Felix got in a fight with Morton and he came up missing a couple scales.

He also has a little tear on his belly.

He's lucky Morton didn't stab him with those huge spines. I've grabbed a catfish before and I know what it's like.

Here is the 30, and all the plants on the right side are live.

From left to right you see the silk plants, baby Morton, some Marino Moss Balls stuffed in a rock, anubias Nana, Anubias, dwarf pygmy hair grass, and some Amazon compacta in the back corner.

The light green plant that looks chewed on and full of brown spots is a mystery. Maybe Java Fern.

I brought this from the 55 gallon tank where the fish had ripped it up about 3 times already.

Attachments

Lithurgus

Ulu said:
I really don't have a clue about Oscars as this is my very first. All I know is the sign of his tank said "Lemon Oscar $15" and I fell in love.

fa8a47413c1c881b7ec5adcf48cf19b6.jpg
Its seems like u r having a copper oscar not a lemon oscar.. any way all oscars r unique n beautiful creatures irrespective of their colors

Feed them variety of diet n u'll be amazed by his growth rate.. m also have a copper n a albino..

Love ur tanks.... keep it up

Ulu

Well Known
Yes it's a marvelous fish, & it's looking more and more like bronze or copper than lemon.

When I purchased this fish I did not know about the different varieties and colors of oscars available and had never studied them at all, but I saw one similar to this when I was a kid and I always wanted one.

But more importantly I had a big tank setup he could move into and it was already seasoned.

Felix looked at me with those puppy dog fish eyes and I was hooked.

Lithurgus

Ulu said:
Yes it's a marvelous fish, & it's looking more and more like bronze or copper than lemon.

When I purchased this fish I did not know about the different varieties and colors of oscars available and had never studied them at all, but I saw one similar to this when I was a kid and I always wanted one.

But more importantly I had a big tank setup he could move into and it was already seasoned.

Felix looked at me with those puppy dog fish eyes and I was hooked.
Oscar have great personality... the way they move in tank with pride looks like they r the owner of every thing n this is what I like the most about them...

Ulu

Well Known
Felix is chewing up my live plants, but I'm just going to let him eat them. I figure if he's chewing on something maybe he needs the roughage.

He will eat too many worms until he gets indigestion and then just lies on the bottom of the tank sort of groaning. I have to be careful not to over feed him because he eats so well, but the truth is that he just enjoys tearing into his food and sucking it up.

89819a73c0753526e7fb5f8b642b97e2.jpg

His mouth is like a pelican and he can hold a lot in there at once. I have fed him before not realizing he was already carrying food.

Sometimes I'll toss a worm in the tank and he will suck it up then spit it out when I'm not looking. That worm will crawl around in a tank and later Felix will go and find it, and eat it.

Ulu

Well Known
Well I got tired of Felix tearing apart plants but not actually eating them so I took all the live plants out of his tank and replaced them with fake plants.

Ulu

Well Known
All the live plants went into my 30 gallon tall plus I bought some new ones and a piece of pre-planted driftwood.

I spent enough on aquarium plants to buy another big tank.

6a15fb1692e646bae03e4f92345be5ec.jpg

13e290b2b765b93269b7ad3a426fc2c2.jpg

You can see the fish have already uprooted a couple plants.

I took a piece of PVC pipe that would slip over my return pipe, and carved some irregular holes in it with a grinder. Then I burned the whole thing randomly with a propane torch so it would look sort of like wood. I planted various plants in the holes and ran my Airline tubing down through the pipe as well.

It looks better but until the plants fill out you're still going to see some white PVC pipe through the holes. It sure looks better than the photos above.

Oh yeah go back and look at the photograph in post number 35 and you'll see what I mean. Ugly white PVC!

I still need a centerpiece fish for the 30 gallon tank. I thought about an angelfish but I think those Serpae will pick it apart.

This is the new betta, Spooky, who just got home from PetSmart, to try out the new QT.

a09c4116fb164547d9211dafaece7e74.jpg

So far I just have a grow light on the quarantine tank, so all the photographs look strange.

11cb29f7d13844ede9afe1c16fedcd93.jpg

Felix is growing like a monster.
af04fd228b37fce47f1be8db961ea95b.jpg

He loves his worms.

Attachments

Ulu

Well Known
This is just turning out to be a fabulous fish, and for $15 I couldn't be more pleased.

c1bb868dd1997bb92495fa2ee95fa09d.jpg

Ulu

Well Known
I've made a lot of changes in the Oscar tank adding a spray bar and a circulation pump.

I had to remove the skimmer as my oscar was ripping it loose. Maybe he didn't like the sound.

With the water lowered you can really see how much circulation we're getting, but you can't see what the 3rd pump is putting under the undergravel filter.
31ea51475feca13579866065f162b986.jpg

Let's see if I can get a better picture of the experimental quarantine tank. So far all I've quarantined in it is plants.b9a1cf775ddcda127152dd60ffd38a1b.jpg

The Ivy and Creeping Charlie seem to be taking root.
6a655d2f30f23de67a3e47383bf8db5e.jpg

I finally got a better picture of little Spooky.
9f1e6b774b55576f7922321363ff7d26.jpg

Ulu

Well Known
By the way I really like the filter system on the quarantine tank as well as the diy sump system of the 30 gallon tall. The undergravel Reversed system of a 16 bow front is only passable because I am also running an HOB.

But the in-tank canister filter w/powerhead systems that I have on the 55 I absolutely hate. None of them have good surface-to-volume ratios, two are made from glass canisters and I really hate putting glass objects in a glass tank. They are all difficult to clean.

Anyhow I've been trying to figure out what kind of filter system I want to use on the 55, but it's really a moot point to change it at this juncture because I expect to get a much larger tank for the Oscar and Pleco. In fact I should get rid of all my tanks and replace the five of them with one 135 gallon tank and one 75~85 gallon tank.

Two tanks with the right filter setup is going to be a lot easier on me than 5 tanks with various filters (most of which I don't like and are difficult to service.)

I will have to rehome two bettas to make that work, but they can have individual plastic homes inside the 75 tank.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Have you thought of doing a sump pn the 55g, all you have to do is maybe get a new pump and just reuse the media, sump a piping.
Even then, just buy a higher powered pump and just use a feed back loop with a ball valve to control the amount of water entering the tank... with the upgrade, either remove the valve or just throttle it down so most of the water goes into the display?

Ulu

Well Known
I thought of a number of sumps and other filters for the 55 but the truth is it's just a temporary tank.

I needed a bigger home for my oscar when I bought it but I only had a couple hundred dollars to spend.

I got a complete new 55 set up with lids lights and filter for $180 US including tax.

The stand that the 55 sits on was built for a custom 100, but I have not purchased that tank yet.

Ulu

Well Known
Right now my smallest tank (10g) is the only one that's not too heavily stocked, so I am on a round-robin exercise of water changes in four tanks.

My 3 in-tank canisters are really not keeping up with poo output of my Oscar Felix & Pleco Morton. Today I replaced one 2-qt can with a homemade in-tank canister with ~7.5 times the capacity of the one I removed.

Unfortunately the only thing I had to make it out of that would fit was a small styrofoam ice chest so it's horribly ugly, but on the other hand it took a lot of lava rock to hold it down so the biomass is excellent.

I had lots of aged rock and plastic media to fill it with, and it holds a pad of floss and about 7 by 11 in. That skims the surface and an internal pump blows it back out through my spray bar.

Powerhead filters on the other side of the tank circulate it back to the skimmer.

I took out the plastic flower pot that my oscar was hiding out in and gave him a custom-made bachelor pad from a plastic battery box that used to be in my boat. I've actually been using it to scrub out filters and stuff so it was well aged already.

I needed something for the ice chest to sit on, and since this is a very temporary setup, I don't feel too bad about how ugly it looks.

8c4894755b04bb4aae18016964941ea0.jpg

382908947e7824f6d5ec33cf0e96d850.jpg

7a6954dc3e6725bbec520911c3e9f7f3.jpg

2af031954b079cc69f33496f6fcd2260.jpg

Ulu

Well Known
Some days you win and some days you lose and some days you do both.

Today my wife was sick and I had a sick fish. I went to the drugstore for my wife and I went to Pet Supplies Plus for some API parasite medicine.

While I was checking out, I realized they were having a $1 tank sale and it included Aqueon 55 Long's exactly like the one I own.

381368afbc2919bded5b73159f3689bb.jpg
Score 1 for MTS

It's going to go right there on the Hearth; and while it's not the 200 gallon tank of my dreams, it will solve an immediate problem and for only $55 and a bit of Labor.

Okay here's the immediate problem. I've got two fish in a 55 who should each be in a 55 alone. Actually a 30 would be okay for the plecostomus for another several months, but that's all and I still haven't finished resealing my other 30. For $55 and tax I sidestepped that problem. The 30 can eventually become a sump for the 55.

Anyhow I need to put some bedding on that Masonry before I can set this tank.

Ulu

Well Known
I have not been able to set up the new tank yet but I did put a more effective filter into Felix's 55 long.

( I have previously misdescribed this tank is a 55 standard, perhaps because it's the standard at aqueon.)

Felix used to be the size of his own tail when I purchased him.

20180208_235159.jpeg

20180208_235148.jpeg

Of course I always notice those water spots on the tank after I take the photograph.....

Look at that stomach.

In that last photograph Felix had just eaten a healthy meal consisting of HikarI gold cichlid pellets, Wardley shrimp treats, a Tetra loach wafer, and a nice red worm for dessert.

His tummy is a bit turgid.

Ulu

Well Known
Thank you, Coradee for patching up my messy posts.

A lot has been going on here, including the manufacture of a new tank stand for my old 30-gallon tall, which I have finally resealed and cured & ready to stock. Well manufacture is a relative term. I got a cabinet from Lowe's for $82 with a genuine Oak front and I put a solid Birch bar top on there that I routed.

The top was just scrap from my last project so free and I paid about 20 bucks for Oak for the base and some scraps of wood for the rear framing plus a few screws and sandpaper and stuff brought the total project 160 bucks.

That includes about $30 for a pocket screw jig.

20180227_223014.jpeg
1519967631387.jpeg
Here it is with the base made and attached, the top made and attached, and the first clear coat.

20180301_203614.jpeg

Other things have happened here and I have recorded them in other places but I lost big Morton the pleco when he jumped to his death.

He proved that a fish can jump out of a hole in the lid that isn't much bigger than the fish.

This old 30 tall was Morton's home for nearly 10 years. Here you see I was scraping out the old silicone and scraping off my old hand painted background. It's all clean and shiny and ready to go now.

tapatalk_1519966459696.jpeg

20180223_101857.jpeg

The 10-gallon experimental tank is growing plants fine and housing two fish in quarantine.

Pepper the pleco hides behind the filter, but Mr spooky the betta likes to lie on top of the filter (as a big hammock) while he munches down the bits of food that circulate there.

20180223_101107.jpeg

The 55 now houses only Felix the Oscar. I have added a larger in tank filter with dual power heads concealed inside it. One intake is a Surface skimmer and the other one is a Sponge Filter (though they both actually have sponges.)

20180218_084125.jpeg

I needed a bigger filter and didn't want to spend a fortune so I managed to build this for about $8 for tha cannister, plus a bunch of stuff I already had. 2 powerheads a bunch of aged lava and a bunch of aged pot scrubbers plus new floss. The sponge filters are made from leftover pieces of filter sponge and part of a old lawn sprinkler that I modified. The greenish thing is the surface skimmer and it is made from a little spray bottle.

Water all comes in through the Sponge Filter & the skimmer and exhausts through 100 quarter inch holes in the bottom.

Ulu

Well Known
I'm still working on the new stand for the old 30 tall. I spent a lot of time block sanding the top so it would be as flat and perfect as possible.

Tall aquariums are particularly susceptible to the effects of being out of level or out of square. This one is already 15 years old and I did not do a complete teardown. I only scraped the inside bare, and resealed all 12 corners in one step.

It should be just fine but I want the setup to be as perfect as I can make it.

This is with 7 coats of Minwax satin polyurethane. It still gets a nice reflection.

I'm hoping to have this tank set up and running within a week.

I want this catfish but it's $200 and just more than I can justify.

I may see if I can find a baby for a good price.

Attachments

goldface

Fishlore VIP
That’s a nice looking fish. Maybe you should look into the Royal Clown Loach. I saw one at my lfs and it was beautiful. It wasn’t too pricey either. I would have got one, if they didn’t get so big, but big seems like what you’re after.

Ulu

Well Known
He would look nice in my 55. He really deserves a 75 or 100 though. That's a big fish. I've had ever had anything over 10".

Ulu

Well Known
I have set up the freshly resealed 30 tall in my office. It's been 3 days since I disassembled the 10-gallon experimental grow tank and dumped its residents and contents into the 30 in an "instant cycle."

20180314_003502.jpeg

The background is not done yet but I'm working on this "day and night" theme, so it will be half black and half white.

Mr. Spooky and Pepper the pleco were living in my 10-gallon experimental grow-sponge tank, which was also my first blackout tank. It had a black background and black sand with black & white furnishings in the tank.

20180308_125006.jpeg

It was inevitable that this tank was to come apart and be destined as a sump. I learned many things from this little experiment but one of the most important ones is that some plants can rot and pollute your tank faster than you can grow them.

20180223_101438.jpeg

Unfortunately it was so black in that tank you could not see Lil' Pepper at all most of the time. She's much happier now.
20180311_135035.jpeg

Mr. Spooky likes his new home as well.
20180308_190802_resized_2%281%29.jpeg

I'm using an Aqueon 75 HOB, plus a homemade air lift tube with Sponge Filter, plus the black in-tank filter that I built for the experimental tank.

I removed the tiny Rio pump from it and replaced it with a much more powerful pond pump from Harbor Freight. I enlarged the filter slightly and kept all the aged lava rock and the Black grow-sponge, plus I added the DIY spray bar.

I removed the green Scotch-Brite filter pad from it, because I found that it would collect fine silt and you could not rinse it back out easily, so the thing just clogged up and stayed clogged. I decided I really didn't need it at all and the circulation performance is much improved without it.

20180310_155310_resized_1%281%29.jpeg
Here's the entire stand and tank together at the first filling before I moved in the black media. The aquarium gravel that you see in it came from my 55 gallon Oscar tank and is well seeded with bacteria.

You can also see the white PVC lift tube next to the heater on the right, and my big white pool thermometer which was just in there temporarily.

I worked way too hard on this stand but I wanted to get that top perfectly flat and level. The whole stand is very sturdy and it leveled out quite easily with just a few little 0.015" & 0.030" plastic shims underneath the feet.

The stand under my 55 is over twice as big, but follows the same basic Construction. It is on a porcelain tile floor that required a lot more shimming, and so I set the entire stand in a bedding compound for continuous bearing.

I have to mention that I was extremely jazzed that this tank didn't blow out when I filled it. This is the first tank that I have ever resealed and as I mentioned it is a 15yr old one.

I used GE Silicone 1, and I taped all the edges so the beads would come out neatly.

But when I scraped this tank out, I thought that they put a ridiculous amount of silicone in it at the factory just to avoid the extra labor of being neat.

When I got it all together and looked at it, I said, "Oh Lord! I hope I put in enough silicone!"

It just looks comparatively skimpy, and particularly at the bottom, but the fact is that I knew that I had enough. I spent about 10 years in the eighties working as an application engineer in the glazing and curtain wall panel industry, and I designed a lot of windows and panels, glued together with silicone, and out hanging on the sides of tall buildings right now.

But I've never designed an aquarium before! LOL

Ulu

Well Known
More from the midnight laboratory of PVC plumbing and betta fish.......

Well the Aqueon hob filter is history and I am currently running an experimental 10 gallon sump, which was formally my experimental 10 gallon grow tank. It's on the same metal stand as before, until I decide it works well enough to put it inside the new stand. Not quite there yet.....

1522482772302.jpeg

I'm still fiddling around with the Overflow system trying to improve performance but I got it to flow well enough now that I don't have to throttle my pump.

1522483460994.jpeg
1522483636883.jpeg

I don't know if you can tell it from those two photos, but the flow rate of the drain varies.

What happens is that some air gets into the drain hose and it collects at a certain point until enough water goes into the hose that all the air is forced out of the system through the top of the standpipe.

At that point the 1.5" drain hose will actually become a siphon for a few seconds, supercharging the main 1.25" siphon.

The tank level drops quickly 1/2" & sump level will rise about 1".

I can see through my transparent Weir that the water is dropping 1 inch normally but during this siphonage drops 3 to 4 in.!

It takes awhile for the tank level to creep back up to the point where this will happen again. I'm trying to time it right now and it seems probably once every 10 minutes it will do this.

BTW, The transparent weir was not installed when I took the picture above & you see a white PVC pipe with some black paint on it.

Well I was up until about 3:30 in the morning creating a new overflow device and curing the leakage. If not for that darn leakage I would have been to bed before 1am.

The system drains much better now with the new translucent Weir, fabricated from a PVC cap and my old Aqueon gravel vacuum.

Without that, half of the 30 gallon tank would simply drain out into the sump in about 1 minute.

I tried to test this Theory and what happens is that a siphon is created that will easily shoot water out of the 1.5" pool hose, about two feet across my office.

I had fun catching that in a 5 gallon bucket and disabling the siphon at the same time at 2 in the morning.

Needless to say my fish were up half the night and are all stressed out so today I'm giving them some blessed rest.

Ulu

Well Known
1522534487448.jpeg

1522534647164.jpeg

This is totally experimental and it is not made to look fancy. If you look closely you can see I did not even remove the yuban label from my plastic coffee tub, now stuffed full of submerged media.

At this point my sump is extremely simple but it is working and the water is quite clear.1522534873021.jpeg

Basically water enters into a Tupperware baffle plate with lots of holes punched in it. That sits over a bed of aged plastic pot scrubbers, which constitutes the emerged filter.

They sit on a bed of filter floss, all of that being contained in a poly pond filter basket, 9" square and 6" deep.

That sits on a poly Yuban coffee tub with the bottom cut out of it. It has lots of other around the bottom so that water can drop into the top and go out the bottom in all directions.

It is filled with small, well-aged lava rock from my 55 gal tank. It is surrounded by a bed of that same lava.

Water goes horizontally across the bottom of the sump and is lifted at the other end by two airstones. The pump fits in another poly pool filter basket on the bottom of the sump, which is also filled with 3" of lava.

Water is pulled through this bed of lava, by the air lift and Cascades back over the top of the basket onto the pump's strainer and foam intake filter.

By adjusting the height of the Overflow device, the height of the siphon, and the height of the Weir, and the path of the hose, I was able to make the system almost silent!
Every now and then it makes a little gurgle, but I think I can add a small vent hose into the system to eliminate even that.

BUT..... to make my sump more efficient as a biofilter I need to add baffle plates. The flow is pretty good right now but it's not as well directed as it could be in the case of the lava media.

Also I did not mention that I'm running two heaters in the tank and one heater in the sump, and I am maintaining 77°F in the system.

Ulu

Well Known
I bought some girlfriends for Betta Beta. These were all basically $3 rescue fish I got from our local PetSmart. They had four females and I bought all four.

This is Blue Monday
20180405_202730_resized.jpeg

Lucy Ricardo is a redhead with mousy brown roots.
20180405_203645.jpeg

Little Betty Boop wears a bob, and is the smallest of the harem.
20180405_224158.jpeg

Carmine San Diego is a real redhead
20180405_202446_resized.jpeg

I put those four in the same 16 gallon tank with Betta Beta.

I figure with four girlfriends chances are he'll get a disease from one of them.

I also bought some mystery snails and this cute little albino pleco.
20180405_222756.jpeg

20180405_220730.jpeg
I think I'm going to call him Red Eye, after an old acquaintance of mine who was a truck driver.

I paid 7 bucks for him and he's only one inch long so I hope he turns out to have some whiskers.

I put that guy in the 30 tall with all the Coreys, and I put a big mystery snail in both of the thirties and the 16.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
I see you have been taken in by albino pleco

Top Bottom