Meet Stubbs! Neon Tetra

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by BettasAndAnOscar, Jul 10, 2015.

1. BettasAndAnOscar

BettasAndAnOscar Valued Member Member

Recently, I went to PetCo to get a flow regulator for my air pump, and came out with 6 neon tetras. They would spend a little while in my 7 gallon QT, and then go into my 29 gal tropical community. All of the neons are very young.
    During the car ride home, I noticed that one of the neons was missing half of his tail. Oh, well. He seemed to be swimming fine without it.
    This morning, I noticed he was stuck to the filter intake. I netted him out, and put him in a betta cup with a little water. He had no tail left. One of the other neons might've got it. None of the other neons had trouble with the filter, but I turned it down just in case.
    He can sort of swim. He keeps himself upright, and wriggles around. Now, I've seen cichlids love a happy and full life with no tail. Could is work for a neon?
    The only thing I'm really nervous about is that neons are schooling fish. Would it be less stressful for him if I turned the filter off and put him back with his friends? My LFS is entirely sold out of sponge filters, and I think that would make it hard for him to swim, anyway. The bubbles would throw him around.
    Will be regrow his tail? Will he eventually be able to go with the other neons, or should I go to the pet store and grab another neon? How crucial is it that there be 6 in a school? I would prefer not to get another tetra, for risk of introducing diseases to the QT tank. What would you do to make Stubbs's life as good as possible?

Thanks!
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436543887.214771.jpg

Also Mr. Wiggles (oscar) got really spooked by something last night and banged his face up. That's a whole other story, though.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Keep the water clean and it may regrow

:)

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Did you name him Stubbs because of his tail? :D

Seriously, though, hope he gets better.

4. OP
    OP
    BettasAndAnOscar

Yeah. And thanks!

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

All I can advise (due to knowledge), is to keep the water pristine and it might grow back depending on the damage.

6. OP
    OP
    BettasAndAnOscar

I'm sad to say that Stubbs passed this afternoon. I gave him my signature fish funeral, which involves releasing the body into our ponds, and watching it fall among the leaves that litter the bottom. (I'm a bit of a weirdo, but hey, you wouldn't flush your cat down the toilet!) I might snag my friend's glow light tetras. He has 3, and I've heard they'll school with neons. Not my favorite tetras, but at least I'd be giving both a proper school...

6 bettas, 1 Oscar, 1 marble peacock cichlid, various live bearers, shrimp and snails

7. mammaguppy

mammaguppy Valued Member Member

Sad to hear that. :( I had a goldfish when I was five ,another fish ripped it up,and another month later,he completely regrew his tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

How bout getting more neons?

:)

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry for your loss, darling. :console:

11. OP
    OP
    BettasAndAnOscar

Yeah, I just feel a bit bad for those 3 glow lights. He's already tried to pawn them off on me several times. He never keeps schooling fish in proper schools. Maybe I'll add some cardinals. I like variety, and the neons wouldn't know the difference.

12. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Cardinals and neons will school together. Plus, I personally think the cardinals are even prettier! :D

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry guys I disagree on that. They don't shoal. Neons are far less shoalers than cardinals. They will be in each other neighbourhood cause being lonely, but won't really shoal. Besides of that they show other behaviour and have other (temp)needs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice