Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunkycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all!
Here's our new baby. He's about 3.5-4 months old, marble halfmoon and needs a name. He's acclimating now and seems quite active though he was very stressed after shipping. He was shipped on Wednesday USPS express and was supposed to get to us yesterday, but apparently was "stuck in traffic" - so frustrating! Thankfully, when I went to our local office this morning to try and locate him, they were very helpful and found him so the poor thing didn't have to wait half a day more to get out of that tiny bag he was shipped in. There was over 2 ppm ammonia in it! I'm hoping with good care he will recover from his ordeal fast!
Considering the ammonia in his water and that there's a bit of tail missing now, should I treat him to prevent any worsening? I do have betta revive. Or would clean water be enough? The tank he is going to is filtered, heated and cycled; ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.
Some photos...
IMG_8046.JPG
IMG_8047.JPG

peppy210

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For now, I think you should monitor how he does when he goes into the new tank.
If the water conditions are good, the fins should grow back on their own. I don't think there is a need for medication.

Chunkycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

In the tank, exploring, flaring at everything... and trying to catch the cherry babies. So far they are proving too fast for him!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Clean water is always the best solution for fin damage.

Who did you buy him from that would ship him in dirty water? So I know who not to buy bettas from in the future...

Chunkycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Clean water is always the best solution for fin damage.

Who did you buy him from that would ship him in dirty water? So I know who not to buy bettas from in the future...
I bought him from an eBay seller, he has 100% positive feedback... I assumed the water got so bad during the trip (the amount was really small, I'd say half a cup, or is it normal?). Do you think he was shipped in dirty water?!

For now would daily water changes or every other day be better?

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Neither, just maybe twice weekly water changes assuming he's well settled in.

A half cup of water is quite a bit for shipping a betta. Normally they are shipped in small bags to prevent movement, which can cause fin damage. Was there plenty of space above the water in the shipping bag? Honestly it sounds like the fish just wasn't fasted before shipping. I hate when sellers do that. I'd rather have a hungry fish without ammonia damage than a fat fish with it.

Aquaboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey I wanted to get a Betta for my tank, but they said it would eat my shrimp. Does yours eat your shrimp? We have the same kind.

Chunkycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Neither, just maybe twice weekly water changes assuming he's well settled in.

A half cup of water is quite a bit for shipping a betta. Normally they are shipped in small bags to prevent movement, which can cause fin damage. Was there plenty of space above the water in the shipping bag? Honestly it sounds like the fish just wasn't fasted before shipping. I hate when sellers do that. I'd rather have a hungry fish without ammonia damage than a fat fish with it.
He's settled very well. Eating well, swimming all over the place. I haven't seen him sleep once! He's like a little everlasting battery!

Yes, there was a lot of space above the water. He was shipped in a bag about 3x3" and 5-5.5" tall (very very approximate measurements, I'm not good at remembering that) and it was filled to about a third with water. Is that any good? He didn't look like he was lacking air. As soon I got him out of the box and he saw me, he started moving and watching me. As far as fasting, you are correct, he wasn't. I bought him on Wednesday, expecting him to be shipped the following Monday (the seller only ships Monday-Wednesday), but he shipped him that same day. And I agree with you, I would also prefer to wait. The seller is momo_miniatures, by the way (I'm not sure I'm allowed to post his name here, I apologize if I'm not).

Hey I wanted to get a Betta for my tank, but they said it would eat my shrimp. Does yours eat your shrimp? We have the same kind.
Aquaboy, sadly he is bothering the shrimp. The big ones, maybe not so much, but I don't know how many babies are left now. My previous betta looked at the shrimp as if they were part of the decor, but this guy definitely thinks they are snacks. The only one that's faring well is the amano shrimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom