Meet Oily!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi meet my new baby Oily, named so because my husband says black and gold and black gold is the name for oil COMPLICATED!

He is such a cutey bought him( is he even a he lol) as a "telescope" fish? You may tell me his something else please do.

He is in quarantine at the moment but has a HUGE tank to go into in my bedroom that's built into an alcove.

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cool!!! My mom used to tell me that I should get one of those to put in with my Betta, and call them Beauty and the Beast! lol

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ha ha love it beauty and the beast, thing is he far to cute and wiggles not swims to greet you as you walk in the room!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a bristle nose plec that might get named beast if he does not starts to behave ahhhhh and I could name the ram Beauty

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I looked back at this thread of mine the other day and it made me realise hoe big Oily has got!

145.jpg

146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

The plant put is the same plant pot he's just got so big he only just fits in it lol, his markings are changing too!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
He is a monster!

He has a upgrade due, my 215 gal tank is now ready with water in it just holding back adding anything to it, just in case some parrot fish (I helped re-home after a company that went bust abandoned them) might just need a home, when I know the parrot fish are ok Oily can move tank, mmmmm he will need tank mates!!!! cant wait to decided what tank mates he should have.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oily is beautiful!

Thanks for keeping us updated on his progress.

Ken

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is a nice looking goldie. Too bad he won't keep any of the black - it will all fade as he grows.

As for company, it is best to keep the same types of fancy goldfish together. A 215 gallon tank will be large enough for several fancy goldfish.

Dendryte

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Beautiful fish.

Hey Gremlin, I suspect you determined it would fade based on the fact that Oily is multi-colored as well as some of the color change apparent in the pictures. Does this mean that Black Moors with all black coloration are less likely to fade over time? I have seen many with some shade of silver belly. I am curious if Black Moors with completely black bellies are truly black. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you are thinking about other goldie tankmates I would suggest looking at a pearlscale they are really fun to watch.

Also interested about the color thing. Mine is still black and hasnt gotten any more orange than when I got him.

Last edited:

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All goldfish are born black. Black is actually the "natural" wild color of carp - or rather a sort of greenish grayish blackish color. The orange, white, shubunkin (blue/black/white/orange mottled) and yellow coloring was selectively bred. (link to wikipedia - the history section tells a bit about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish )

In my experience, once a black goldfish shows any hint of orange, it will most likely (as in 99.999999999999999999999 % of the time) turn completely orange. It is possible for them to stay black. I have a black common/comet goldfish (he is one of my favorites). However, it took about 15 tries to find one that stayed black. It is very difficult to tell which of the young ones will keep the black coloring. Last summer my sister's goldfish spawned. She has no black adults. She would like (at least) one. I would love to have another. About 20 of her babies stayed black after all the others (she had over 100) turned orange. We hung on to the black ones (just in case). There are now only about 12 or so that are still black. They are over a year old and some could still go either way. They are already much larger than goldfish you find in stores. There really is no rhyme nor reason as to when they change from their "baby" color to the adult coloring.

One way you can sort of check, although it is not 100% reliable, is to really look at the belly in the sunlight. If it flashes any type of orangey or gold metallic under that black coloring, then it will most likely turn orange. If it flashes more the silver (or even a white) metallic, then there is a better chance it will stay black.

The orange coloring usually starts showing on the belly first. It will also show up around the gills and the face, although the lips and eyes can be the last to turn.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow Thanks for all the info in your post, really interesting.

Oily's fins were all black, then the tips went orange and are now white, really cool watching him grow and change colour as he does. He had now moved to his new tank and is very happy mooching about in their

Dendryte

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks Gremlin. That's exactly what I was curious about. Pretty interesting genetics going on. Even if the black pigment was a double recessive trait, it seems that through the adult transition and with age that the trait/genes could be repaired to it's natural expression or shut off completely.

That's great to hear Allibobs

Dendryte

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just found an interesting article about the color changing.

The apoptosis is interesting, but I would suspect the greater cause for the color change in Oily would be the turning off of melanin genes.

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here are some updated pics Oily is now about 4inches long and like a tennis ball lol

789.jpg

791.jpg

793.jpg

He is my baby, he had not quite made it to the super big tank BUT the move is planned! I want the tank 100% spot on for him first

Elvishswimmer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom