Meet my new one-eyed betta

celmoy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Picked up this little cutie today! I saw her at my local PaH and just had to have her :happy:

Looks like a birth defect - on her right side you can see a tiny blue dot that looks like an eye that just hasnt developed, and her mouth is very slightly twisted. Pic from pet store as she is currently too busy zooming round her new 55L tank to sit still and let me take pics!

20200216_150833.jpg

Aside from not being able to see on that side she seems healthy and is swimming strongly and even came up for some food. She has beautiful iridescent blue colouring through her tail!

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
celmoy said:
Picked up this little cutie today! I saw her at my local PaH and just had to have her :happy:

Looks like a birth defect - on her right side you can see a tiny blue dot that looks like an eye that just hasnt developed, and her mouth is very slightly twisted. Pic from pet store as she is currently too busy zooming round her new 55L tank to sit still and let me take pics!

20200216_150833.jpg

Aside from not being able to see on that side she seems healthy and is swimming strongly and even came up for some food. She has beautiful iridescent blue colouring through her tail!
Beautiful betta. I regret not buying a female instead of a male for my 5.5 gallon.

OP
C

celmoy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kdizzle said:
Beautiful betta. I regret not buying a female instead of a male for my 5.5 gallon.
Any reason you would have preferred a female? Both of mine are female (although my first one I bought as a male!) so I've only ever seen boys in their little display tanks

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
celmoy said:
Any reason you would have preferred a female? Both of mine are female (although my first one I bought as a male!) so I've only ever seen boys in their little display tanks
I don't know. Before I got Rex (that's his name) I didn't really like the females, but after I bought him, I wanted a female.

OP
C

celmoy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kdizzle said:
Do you have a pic of him? I love seeing people's bettas!

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reaction score
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
Just started
So cute! Little tip, be careful when feeding as fish that are missing eyes have a bit, er, off depth perception. I had a one-eyed albino oscar, but because he couldn't judge the proper location of the food he didn't get proper nutrition. I tried toothpick feeding and sinking pellets but he was scared or didn't find them so he passed a little bit ago.

Just be careful with feeding! It can be tricky.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful betta :)

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How has she been getting along? Does she require any more care from a lack of depth perception?

OP
C

celmoy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all!

She's getting on great! She's an insanely lively little character and never seems to stop zooming round her tank (also so hard to get a picture!). Here she is today:
VideoCapture_20200416-202022.jpg

She doesnt seem to have too much trouble depth-perception wise - she grabs food perfectly from the surface and is always keen to eat. I just have to be careful to place the food where she can see with her good eye, but after a week or so she quickly got used to where to come for feedings :happy:

biscuit

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
She's so pretty! Have you named her?

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You said you wanted to see bettas. Here's mine. First set of pics are all my boy, Fin. Huckleberry Fin to be exact ;) Second set is Ramai (Vibrant on some language I forget now...) I call him Remmy though. He's not a fan of the camera. Actually, he's not a fan of anything except food... He flares at everything!

Attachments

OP
C

celmoy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
biscuit said:
She's so pretty! Have you named her?
Her name is Bebe! Not intentional, but I started calling her "the little bebe" when I brought her home and then I couldnt stop

New Threads